The Champions League & Football was saved last week... PSG vs City. Madrid vs Chelsea.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which club disgusts you the most from the semi finalists?

• Total voters

Deleted member 13260

With all the cheer around football being saved from the greedy clubs last week, there hasn't been anywhere near enough attention to the horrible new Champions League format, and the fact the 4 semi finalists are arguably the least fair playing clubs in the world.

So which club of the 4 in the semi finals disgusts you the most?

For me it's Man City. Though to elaborate in the opening post would be far too much.
All 4 of these sides have already thrown away the idea of football being a fair, competitive game with their approach to financing their clubs in my opinion. I have no respect for any of them, nor do I recognise their trophies in the same way I do for nearly every other club in world football.

Just annoys me that no one is talking about this really. Vile.

I've never felt less interested in the CL than i am this year. Real Madrid and 2 clubs that have bought their right to win trophies with money poured into them from the governments of middle-east nation states. Then the crook Abramovich who should never have been allowed to own a football club anyway.

That's why i wasn't too bent out of shape about the ESL, you've got these fucking cunts subverting the game, it seems a bit irrelevant to worry about the format. You have an ESL in all but name anyway.

I've never felt less interested in the CL than i am this year. Real Madrid and 2 clubs that have bought their right to win trophies with money poured into them from the governments of middle-east nation states. Then the crook Abramovich who should never have been allowed to own a football club anyway.

That's why i wasn't too bent out of shape about the ESL, you've got these fucking cunts subverting the game, it seems a bit irrelevant to worry about the format. You have an ESL in all but name anyway.

I would argue the way things are currently suits these clubs more than the ESL anyway in terms of winning the competition. It's no wonder Chelsea & City were last in, first out - with PSG not being a part of it.
The ESL guaranteed extra income. Not something City, Chelsea & PSG need - that's their 'sporting advantage'.
Madrid could do with balancing the books, but they always have the nation of Spain backing them, even if its not quite oil money.

The current setup gives these clubs more chance of winning.
The ESL would probably make it more difficult for them to dominate.

The outrage at the idea of removing promotions / relegations / qualifications was huge, but for some reason literally buying the trophies isn't such a big deal.
But trophies are all that matter too so I hear.

What could be done to fix it?

I would propose caps on transfers and wages.
Say for example, a salary cap of 100k per week for players, with a few exception that can go above the cap. This way the highest paid (best) players will be more spread.
Then to prevent the best few in the world getting £1mil per week at PSG or City, cap the total wage bill to a certain percentage of the clubs revenue.

Transfers - well they could insist on more homegrown players for a start. Then perhaps something like a £20mil cap on transfers with 1 player per window that can exceed the transfer cap.

Never going to see anything like this unfortunately.

I just don’t respect any of them, Madrid might be the only one who’s history is semi legit, as for Chelsea, City & PSG they are trophy-less in the modern game as far as I’m concerned.....
Madrid are historic bullies.
They have been fucking people over with their state backed club since the 50s or something.
If City carry on doing this for 70 years dominating everything it doesn't semi legitimise it, if anything it makes it worse.
Think people are just so used to the way Madrid operate now.

It's more modern football that I have an issue with, to allow such a situation to come to pass.
It's not money that's ruined the game, it's too much money in the hands of a few. UEFA and FIFA are just as culpable and corrupt, they don't exactly reinforce their own FFP rules.
I will never stop loving THFC but sadly, I think the time of physically supporting them is coming to an end.

Last edited:
If your not a fan of any of these clubs , your going to be unhappy with the current situation. The competitiveness and sense of fair play is now a thing of the past. With VAR and the referees being the worst I have ever seen what's the point of supporting any team not in that group. The fact that Tottenham owners, board and levy have mismanaged the playing side of things just adds to the growing frustration. Personally what's the point of renewing my season ticket because no matter what happens we're fucked.

Probably Chelsea because they where the ones to kick off all the financial doping in a big way and their fans are the worst in the league by a long shot.

Man City honestly I couldn’t care about, they are more like a Middle Eastern oil franchise with two fans, the Gallagher brothers.

Chelsea are also the club that set the whole money laundering dubious owner ball running. Man United bought titles prior to that but they had a solid base, lots of history etc.

This post should close the thread. I'm not watching it now.

Much to do about nothing. Most people would love it, even if they don't like admitting it, if their club suddenly came into a large amount of money and most of it was spent on transfers that improved their team. Every club are owned by business people at the end of the day who are in charge of the club to make profit for themselves. But regardless there are always exceptions like Leicester who won the league without having ridiculous amounts spent on the team, and it only makes their success that little bit sweeter.

VAR and the impact it's had on the beautiful game worries me far more than what any "greedy" clubs do.

Much to do about nothing. Most people would love it, even if they don't like admitting it, if their club suddenly came into a large amount of money and most of it was spent on transfers that improved their team. Every club are owned by business people at the end of the day who are in charge of the club to make profit for themselves. But regardless there are always exceptions like Leicester who won the league without having ridiculous amounts spent on the team, and it only makes their success that little bit sweeter.

VAR and the impact it's had on the beautiful game worries me far more than what any "greedy" clubs do.
Not me Tyler currency trading is one thing but I do not want the sovereign wealth fund of a country that kills people for being gay, bankroll our glory. It just takes the edge off for me. But everyone has to draw their own line in thd sand.

In our league at least, City and Chelsea both want the advantages of external financing - effectively running at a loss, and the plaudits that come with winning fairly. Why do we accept this?

The ESL backlash shows there's an appetite for fairness, or at least lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Fans could protest. We don't need to accept these clubs as currently run. City especially would be susceptible to negative publicity as their owners want to be seen to be squeaky clean.

In our league at least, City and Chelsea both want the advantages of external financing - effectively running at a loss, and the plaudits that come with winning fairly. Why do we accept this?

The ESL backlash shows there's an appetite for fairness, or at least lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Fans could protest. We don't need to accept these clubs as currently run. City especially would be susceptible to negative publicity as their owners want to be seen to be squeaky clean.
I said this earlier its odd how they have suddenly woke up to whats been happening since the formation of the EPL We gave up a football culture where Nottingham Forest came up won the league then won and retained the European Cup for one where Paris St German from a city with very little love of the game payed 100 million over on a player to deliberately break the market.

Back
Top Bottom