The Direction of THFC On & Off the field - supporters poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What direction would you rather see the club take

• No transfers in, contracts to our assets & financial protection for non top 4

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Money spent on £40m+ signings top 4 not achieved & a stripping of our team to cover past expenditure

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Squad players signed at £15m-£20m that don't improve the first team that keep us financially safe

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Focusing on hot prospects & scouting for future integration at less ££ risk

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
Apologies if I'm reading this wrong, but aren't those three options all really shit?

I vote for the following:

'Secure good signings that see us win the title and CL in 2020, which results in Cranston taking his trousers off and air guitaring to 'Gimme all your lovin''.

None of the above.
Get a good scouting system, then we can sign good players before they get too expensive and out of our range.

The Bill Nick way but on a little diet.

Sign one decent player every year around the 40m mark that should improve the first team.
Get rid of dead wood , move on players that can be upgraded .
Sign one long term cheap prospect around 10 to 15 every 2 years and introduce academy players if they are good enough.
Around a net spend of 30 to 40m each year.

With the money awash in football , this would be possible even including the stadium build but sadly another round of infrastructure projects will dent this .

I just saw a post on a different thread (can't remember who) but they came up with a very good point.

Basically the debate was: Harry is on £200k a week but with bonuses he's on £300k a week. That's top money.

Response (paraphrased): Which is why players won't come to us. If they are going to be on the bench they won't get the bonuses and therefore they will be on less money than elsewhere.

Levy/Poch won't buy players getting to the end of their careers.

We don't have the money (yet) to buy top drawer players (Debt and wage structure)

Which leaves us with either trying to get a top player who is unhappy or near the end of their contract.
Which we could easily get outbid by another top team.

Or
We sign young unproven players.

He makes a great point. Personally I'd focus on the shit got youngsters as that's where we've had our most success in the past.

Many of us saw Frenkie De Jongs qualities a year and a half ago but even then a kid with what a dozen first team games would have cost us c£50m?

It will be telling this summer when Pochettino gets a few of his nonHG players shifted. Vorm, Llorente, Alderweireld, possibly Wanyama if he keeps stuttering it's an important time for him and the club to get it right.

This summer we will see how good our scouting network really is. We are losing a fair few players with others like Janssen & Nkoudou soon to be doing one as well it's a crunch time for our transfer dealings. Personally I'd be happy with prospects like Andersen, Berge etc coming in for immediate impact and a Foyth level signings to beef up the numbers and competition for the future

Sign one decent player every year around the 40m mark that should improve the first team.
Sign one long term cheap prospect around 10 to 15 every 2 years and introduce academy players if they are good enough.

With the money awash in football , this would be possible even including the stadium build but sadly another round of infrastructure projects will dent this .
I actually agree with is in principal.

The problem is, is a £40m player going to improve our FIRST team, maybe a FB or CB but not in any other areas, imv.

CM needs improving, but again, which "proven" CM can we get for £40m, bearing in mind our wage structure.
If there are no "proven" players we are left at taking a risk on young players who may or may not come good.

So that leaves us with upgrading our 2nd string players (many do need upgrading) and even these could cost around £40m or more.

Which then leaves us the problem of, which players (again bearing in mind our wage structure) would be happy to come to Spurs and sit on the bench.

I actually agree with is in principal.

The problem is, is a £40m player going to improve our FIRST team, maybe a FB or CB but not in any other areas, imv.

CM needs improving, but again, which "proven" CM can we get for £40m, bearing in mind our wage structure.
If there are no "proven" players we are left at taking a risk on young players who may or may not come good.

So that leaves us with upgrading our 2nd string players (many do need upgrading) and even these could cost around £40m or more.

Which then leaves us the problem of, which players (again bearing in mind our wage structure) would be happy to come to Spurs and sit on the bench.

Bang on in my opinion. We signed Davinson Sanchez for near on £40m is certain reports are to be believed & hand on heart did he really improve our first XI? Does he really outmuscle Alderweireld or Vertonghen in our strongest XI when everybody is fit?

Dominic Solanke cost nearly £20m a couple of weeks ago. That's what £20m buys you in the current climate. Money can't keep spinning out of control and eventually when it does we won't have been reckless like many others.

There is a premium on the fee clubs charge English clubs, has been since the money flooded in and as you said, hand on heart who is there that we can sign for £40m that would vastly improve our trouble areas who would come to us?

Personally I don't see why we can't adhere to the budget Fidel Castro Fidel Castro highlighted. £40m on one signing and a shit hot prospect every now and then. If the club stuck to that and the fans were content with those incremental improvements year on year I think we'd be in a good place. The only issue is if £40m doesn't even buy you a Felipe Anderson, Richarlison or a Maxi Gomez these days who do we lump that kind of dough on to seriously improve the options we already have?

It depends, we picked Alli up for 5 mil, we picked up Foyth for 8 mil, if we hold on to him, I think he will be a star.
We bought Sanchez for 40 million but he's probably trebled in value now. These are the kind of signings we should be looking to make forget Zaha. I can't vote for the last one because it's not just about improving the squad, they've got to be able to do a job in the first team as well.

OK so if we take the Foyth signing for £8m-£11m, whatever it was. Surely he falls into the kind of signing that doesn't instantly improve the team hence he's a squad signing right?

Personally I think you're right, we should definitely never go another window of not signing someone but as you said, £40m is top whack, more than any other player that has come through our doors in the past and he he wasn't even as good as our current centrebacks in Alderweireld and Vertonghen. Very difficult to find players for c£40m that improves areas of our squad at the moment unless we are a little artful in the market, meaning our scouting network and its improvements are more vital to me than the levels of money we pump into it

Bang on in my opinion. We signed Davinson Sanchez for near on £40m is certain reports are to be believed & hand on heart did he really improve our first XI? Does he really outmuscle Alderweireld or Vertonghen in our strongest XI when everybody is fit?

Dominic Solanke cost nearly £20m a couple of weeks ago. That's what £20m buys you in the current climate. Money can't keep spinning out of control and eventually when it does we won't have been reckless like many others.

There is a premium on the fee clubs charge English clubs, has been since the money flooded in and as you said, hand on heart who is there that we can sign for £40m that would vastly improve our trouble areas who would come to us?

Personally I don't see why we can't adhere to the budget Fidel Castro Fidel Castro highlighted. £40m on one signing and a shit hot prospect every now and then. If the club stuck to that and the fans were content with those incremental improvements year on year I think we'd be in a good place. The only issue is if £40m doesn't even buy you a Felipe Anderson, Richarlison or a Maxi Gomez these days who do we lump that kind of dough on to seriously improve the options we already have?

I just saw a post on a different thread (can't remember who) but they came up with a very good point.

Basically the debate was: Harry is on £200k a week but with bonuses he's on £300k a week. That's top money.

Response (paraphrased): Which is why players won't come to us. If they are going to be on the bench they won't get the bonuses and therefore they will be on less money than elsewhere.

Levy/Poch won't buy players getting to the end of their careers.

We don't have the money (yet) to buy top drawer players (Debt and wage structure)

Which leaves us with either trying to get a top player who is unhappy or near the end of their contract.
Which we could easily get outbid by another top team.

Or
We sign young unproven players.

I think if we had done this over last few years with Poch , the media would lose its negative lacking ambition tag.
With champs league we should be securing good players as long as we show we mean business on the pitch.

So if this 23 year old French bloke is what Poch really wants then he should be obtainable .

But this 23 year old French bloke has offers from the likes of Barcelona etc. If he isn't interested in our club what more can we do?

Do we offer him so much money that he has no other choice but to sign, leaving the rest of the squad asking why they aren't on similar after the years and effort put in?

It's not just about one player, it's the domino effect to the others around him should he sign. Rumours are he's been offered £170k per week from Barcelona so realistically to fend off a team of Barcas size we'd probably have to offer him what £200k, the same as Kane is on?

I do make you right that ambition is required but sticking a troublesome player into the squad as it's highest or 2nd highest earner asks for trouble regarding other players being content at the club. Players will always compare what they are getting with other players and a big move like that without it being earned will get the likes of Jan, Son, Hugo etc knocking on the door asking where their parity is. One player ends up costing you a lot more than he should it's very difficult for a club our size to challenge the likes of Barcelona when it comes down to what they can offer etc, the same applies to the other 9 that make up the 10 wealthiest clubs at present

Thought I'd put this to a poll seeing as it clearly causes the biggest divide between supporters at present.

With the stadium & facilities build denting the club, short term until dividends are rewarded in the form of merchandise, increase of mathday revenue, commercial exposure with naming rights etc how I see it is the club are taking a somewhat cautious yet safe approach to transfer dealings at a time where it can ill afford reckless behaviour that risks the stability of the first team & he potential stripping of its assets if targets aren't achieved.

The current Chanpions League money we generate from qualifying for the knockout phases generates a minimum of £70m for the club. Add matchday revenue sales, commercial bonuses for participation and we are looking at that figure to be closer to £100m. When you take into account the combined salaries of Pochettino, Kane, Son, Dele, Lloris, Vertonghen & Eriksen equate to roughly £40m you can see how valuable such an injection of money is whilst we pump money into other areas of the business, most notably the new stadium, transport links & training facilities at a cost of nearly £1bn. European football ensures we don't have to invest any of our other revenue streams into the day to day running of the first team, freeing up finances to cover debt, loans, all other areas regarding the running of the club.

I do love a visual & have posted this previous but as it's a new thread and may have been overlooked, to show the commercial difference it brings in light of Pochettinos comments about domestic cups & the top 4 qualifying benefits I've posted an example of the gulf in financial reward below:

IqcEfZ4.0.jpg

With the club investing HUGE amounts of money in. Pushing itself in a growth phase off the pitch and with the Champions League revenue generated over 8 matches generating a third of what Premier League money generates, around 50-60x what a cup run domestically does my question is this:

Are we being too prudent, too reserved in our courage to move forward or would you rather see us spend money to add in much needed areas, have a greater chance to achieve the next level knowing at if we don't get to that level, the most difficult level to achieve in a very competitive league whilst still having no home advantage to work with we would have to strip the club of some of its key assets as costs would need covering should the large revenue streams via UEFA football dry up?

Dare to risk it and end up losing everything or do the logical thing in times where inflation in football has seen the money it cost Napoli to sign Diego Maradona shift to the money it costs you to sign the Andre Grey's of this world or use that money to pay the likes of Harry Kane over £10m per season, nearly double what a cup win would reward us.

If this is the predicament the club finds itself in until we are definitely given the green light with the new stadium, until the extra costs are covered since the delays were announced, since the market spiked at an absurd rate since the money men we simply cannot compete with in the form of PSG & Manchester City threw their hats into the ring what would you prefer the club do? Reward the Kanes, Deles & Sonnys or throw it at new blood in a bold move to risk it all to get the best out of this current batch of players among our ranks?

How I see it is it would probably be one or the other so it would be great to see who wants the group to stay together for as long as possible and who sees this as our only chance and would happily risk mid table mediocrity for the roll of a dice whilst we navigate through footballs biggest debt domestically worldwide as far as I can see it.

Votes & comments welcome as I'm sure we all love the club and want what's in its best interests. It's a fascinating subject that leaves many at the club and it's following at loggerheads.

Risk it for a biscuit or know we have a stable group that covers our costs far quicker than we could have imagined when the build started, thus fast tracking our cost cover and soldifying ourselves as a long term big boy quicker than we envisaged.

We are down to our bare bones and looking at the current transfer news, it is plainly obvious that we will not yet again sign anyone unless we can sell Jansen, N'Koudou and possibly Llorente

The rumours surrounding Adrien Rabiot (21M) were true enough, good young central midfielder to replace Dembele. I have just heard that he has rejected a move to Spurs and has chosen to wait until the summer to join Bayern, Liverpool or Barca on a Free. Good luck to him.

Edin Dzeco would be a stopgap during this delicate period and we defo need someone up front to replace Harry.

We will have Son back this week and we can just about do without Dele for a few weeks.

on out of hrp
But this 23 year old French bloke has offers from the likes of Barcelona etc. If he isn't interested in our club what more can we do?

Do we offer him so much money that he has no other choice but to sign, leaving the rest of the squad asking why they aren't on similar after the years and effort put in?

It's not just about one player, it's the domino effect to the others around him should he sign. Rumours are he's been offered £170k per week from Barcelona so realistically to fend off a team of Barcas size we'd probably have to offer him what £200k, the same as Kane is on?

I do make you right that ambition is required but sticking a troublesome player into the squad as it's highest of 2nd highest earner asks for trouble regarding other players being content at the club. Players will always compare what they are getting with other players and a big move like that without it being earned will get the likes of Jan, Son, Hugo etc knocking on the door asking where their parity is. One player ends up costing you a lot more than he should it's very difficult for a club our size to challenge the likes of Barcelona when it comes down to what they can offer etc, the same applies to the other 9 that make up the 10 wealthiest clubs at present
Apparently Barcelona have blown him out .
His fee is not to bad but wages are high and lm sure if he is what Poch wants and he thinks will be a driving force , then if there's a will at top level he is obtainable .
If it fails move on but that is the level we should be looking at.
We can't keep making excuses , it's about time we manned up. I'm not talking about 5 transfers but one at this level and being honest if Arse can get a couple of top players occasionally without champs league then so can we .

l' m out of here , Amazon have just delivered my
Nursal "deep heating back massager with heat "

on out of hrp

Apparently Barcelona have blown him out .
His fee is not to bad but wages are high and lm sure if he is what Poch wants and he thinks will be a driving force , then if there's a will at top level he is obtainable .
If it fails move on but that is the level we should be looking at.
We can't keep making excuses , it's about time we manned up. I'm not talking about 5 transfers but one at this level and being honest if Arse can get a couple of top players occasionally without champs league then so can we .

l' m out of here , Amazon have just delivered my
Nursal "deep heating back massager with heat "

Woolwich still make more money than us even without the Champions League revenue though, they still earn more even without that luxury. Taking that into account as well as the heavy costs of the stadium it's clear we don't have money available for transfers to be on a comparative level to that lot.

If there was no stadium to worry about I'd be in complete agreement with you but there has never been a cost as big to the club as the one we are currently enduring. In fact I don't think there is another team on the planet with the levels of debt attached to it like we currently have so when people say why aren't we spending it leaves me scratching my head.

Long term it will make us more money but these are the investment years when it comes to the clubs infrastructure, simply put we have to lump it for the greater good of the long term which sadly means the footballing side may temporarily take a hit. The fact we are staying competitive at such a time is huge testament to Pochettino and the first XI he's been able to build and mould. Gutting that we can't get the funds teams like Everton have got etc but their money and moment will dry up & they'll still be miles behind where we are as a club

Options are awful

What other options are there when we are faced with a £1bn debt next to our name?

We either splash out and risk the current status quo, hold tight and keep the current group together or act a little artful in the market with trying to unearth a Dele or a Foyth? Sorry if that isn't clear in my options given, unfortunately it ain't letting me edit them

What other options do we have at present? That's the harsh reality we find ourselves innas a football club even if others simply don't see it

This, plus sell one top player who is not a pacey forward finisher and replace them with two top players over a long time period. In other words, adopt the Liverpool strategy of selling Coutinho and targeting two specific weak areas.

In the past we have sold Bale, but not targeted specifically and just generally panic-splashed. Personally I feel we could, for example, afford to sell Eriksen, in terms of team formation, as opposed to Son, Dele, or Kane... but only if we, for example, brought in a quality DM/CB, and a quality ST/GK as a clear tactical move.

Another thing noticed is we seem to have an abundance of attacking midfielders and forwards who don't actually do anything consistently. Is there any reason Janssen, Llorente, GKN, Moura, Lamela should be on the wages they are on. What if we had two higher quality players, and three youth players.

What if there was something in place to make certain redundancy in a certain area was impossible.

“Sign a couple of good and very promising players for a reasonable fee and hope to secure top 4”
The voting options don’t make sense

Surely that option is the last one where we sign players in and around the £15m-£20m mark right?

The options are we don't sign anyone that will improve the first XI, we spend for big players but financially we run the risk of having to strip the club of its assets due to the risk taken or we focus on prospects or squad players at £15m-£20m

If there's a better way or f wording all 3 let me know and I'll amend

Back
Top Bottom