The Direction of THFC On & Off the field - supporters poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What direction would you rather see the club take

• No transfers in, contracts to our assets & financial protection for non top 4

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Money spent on £40m+ signings top 4 not achieved & a stripping of our team to cover past expenditure

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Squad players signed at £15m-£20m that don't improve the first team that keep us financially safe

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Focusing on hot prospects & scouting for future integration at less ££ risk

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
on out of hrp
But this 23 year old French bloke has offers from the likes of Barcelona etc. If he isn't interested in our club what more can we do?

Do we offer him so much money that he has no other choice but to sign, leaving the rest of the squad asking why they aren't on similar after the years and effort put in?

It's not just about one player, it's the domino effect to the others around him should he sign. Rumours are he's been offered £170k per week from Barcelona so realistically to fend off a team of Barcas size we'd probably have to offer him what £200k, the same as Kane is on?

I do make you right that ambition is required but sticking a troublesome player into the squad as it's highest of 2nd highest earner asks for trouble regarding other players being content at the club. Players will always compare what they are getting with other players and a big move like that without it being earned will get the likes of Jan, Son, Hugo etc knocking on the door asking where their parity is. One player ends up costing you a lot more than he should it's very difficult for a club our size to challenge the likes of Barcelona when it comes down to what they can offer etc, the same applies to the other 9 that make up the 10 wealthiest clubs at present
Apparently Barcelona have blown him out .
His fee is not to bad but wages are high and lm sure if he is what Poch wants and he thinks will be a driving force , then if there's a will at top level he is obtainable .
If it fails move on but that is the level we should be looking at.
We can't keep making excuses , it's about time we manned up. I'm not talking about 5 transfers but one at this level and being honest if Arse can get a couple of top players occasionally without champs league then so can we .

l' m out of here , Amazon have just delivered my
Nursal "deep heating back massager with heat "

on out of hrp

Apparently Barcelona have blown him out .
His fee is not to bad but wages are high and lm sure if he is what Poch wants and he thinks will be a driving force , then if there's a will at top level he is obtainable .
If it fails move on but that is the level we should be looking at.
We can't keep making excuses , it's about time we manned up. I'm not talking about 5 transfers but one at this level and being honest if Arse can get a couple of top players occasionally without champs league then so can we .

l' m out of here , Amazon have just delivered my
Nursal "deep heating back massager with heat "

Woolwich still make more money than us even without the Champions League revenue though, they still earn more even without that luxury. Taking that into account as well as the heavy costs of the stadium it's clear we don't have money available for transfers to be on a comparative level to that lot.

If there was no stadium to worry about I'd be in complete agreement with you but there has never been a cost as big to the club as the one we are currently enduring. In fact I don't think there is another team on the planet with the levels of debt attached to it like we currently have so when people say why aren't we spending it leaves me scratching my head.

Long term it will make us more money but these are the investment years when it comes to the clubs infrastructure, simply put we have to lump it for the greater good of the long term which sadly means the footballing side may temporarily take a hit. The fact we are staying competitive at such a time is huge testament to Pochettino and the first XI he's been able to build and mould. Gutting that we can't get the funds teams like Everton have got etc but their money and moment will dry up & they'll still be miles behind where we are as a club

Will not vote for any of those options. Until last summer we always bought players and still had the problem of other teams having much more money. Fergie always said that he liked to buy a couple of players each season to freshen up the squad and that is the way forward. I accept we cannot at present compete with and buy players in the very top bracket but the fee is related to the length of contract as much as the quality of player.
I do not want the club to have to integrate 7 players in a squad ever again.
We have sold Dembele, GKN and Llorente are clearly not good enough and it should not be as difficult as Poch is saying to get better. Whether the replacements get in ahead of our star players is not the question but can they do a job when needed like yesterday when they are injured or rested.
Levy has said more than once that the stadium will not affect buying players but it seems that Poch like Wenger in his last few years prefers the players he has to buying new ones.
Looks like our number 1 target this January has turned us down and I just hope we have someone else lined up.

Another thread that makes no sense...ffs
xk9B2CX.jpg

Options are awful

What other options are there when we are faced with a £1bn debt next to our name?

We either splash out and risk the current status quo, hold tight and keep the current group together or act a little artful in the market with trying to unearth a Dele or a Foyth? Sorry if that isn't clear in my options given, unfortunately it ain't letting me edit them

What other options do we have at present? That's the harsh reality we find ourselves innas a football club even if others simply don't see it

The Bill Nick way but on a little diet.

Sign one decent player every year around the 40m mark that should improve the first team.
Get rid of dead wood , move on players that can be upgraded .
Sign one long term cheap prospect around 10 to 15 every 2 years and introduce academy players if they are good enough.
Around a net spend of 30 to 40m each year.

With the money awash in football , this would be possible even including the stadium build but sadly another round of infrastructure projects will dent this .

This, plus sell one top player who is not a pacey forward finisher and replace them with two top players over a long time period. In other words, adopt the Liverpool strategy of selling Coutinho and targeting two specific weak areas.

In the past we have sold Bale, but not targeted specifically and just generally panic-splashed. Personally I feel we could, for example, afford to sell Eriksen, in terms of team formation, as opposed to Son, Dele, or Kane... but only if we, for example, brought in a quality DM/CB, and a quality ST/GK as a clear tactical move.

Another thing noticed is we seem to have an abundance of attacking midfielders and forwards who don't actually do anything consistently. Is there any reason Janssen, Llorente, GKN, Moura, Lamela should be on the wages they are on. What if we had two higher quality players, and three youth players.

What if there was something in place to make certain redundancy in a certain area was impossible.

Back
Top Bottom