The Don Levy Appreciation Thread!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is insane. I can imagine ManU getting the same transfers done for 120m+
I always defended Levy, as I liked the process he started to bring us to top level. I know we won't get a trophy for that, but we are the most feared club when it comes to dealing with transfers. And I fucking love it, with every single one it gets better and better.
Same mate, I have never talked shit about him, because even though this is a business he wants it to be successful and has done it bit by bit, complete overhaul from what we once were 20 years ago

We are unrecognisable

The thing is most fans now live in a fifa age and say WERE DA TROFFIES

But success is relative

Agreed. Embarrassing . Delusional if you think Levy is taking us in the right direction. A crocked superstar on loan who we will be lucky to get 20 games out of; bargain basement signings the rest of them, apart from Reguilon. Would love to be proven wrong. But i feel, yet again, we will see Levy's false economy come back to bite us. I'm in an unfortunate situation whereby my housemates and many of my friends are gunners. Their opinion of the Levy is so accurate: "long may he stay in charge of spurs - because with him, you aint winning anything" or words to that effect. In fact most fans of other teams concur. The apologists on this site are an embarrassment. If you support Levy you support the lack of investment - not much needed at the time - that could have seen us win a league a few years ago. Remember, we were far better than Liverpool 4 years ago. They're net investment hasn't been much greater than ours. Smarter though.
Embarrassed for you

The other thing to admire is the execution/timing of these deals.

I am convinced that JM said that he wanted a RB (as Aurier had said he wanted to leave) and a defensively minded midfield player, both of whom had to have PL experience to be in place before start of season.

Hojbjerg (already enquired about him in January and Hojbjerg said he wanted Spurs , one year left on contract so Southampton had to sell but sweetened for them by getting KWP) was agreed with JM and DL delivered on time for the start of the season.

Doherty (I suspect JM asked his mate Mendes for help, but Doherty as 2nd best attacking RB in PL last season is a great 'here and now' signing, even if in 3 years time age suggests he may need replacing) was agreed and delivered on time for the start of the season.

Bale is one I'm sure we've kept in touch with for 7 years since he left and still great to get one of tyhe world's best forwards oin on loan is great business by itself..........but getting Reguilon at the same time just because Real Madrid had 2 other top class LB's really is fantastic business - at least based on his debut v Chelsea - and even their possible buy back in 2 years time with a £15m uplift really doesnt worry me. Its a here and now top player........and in 2 years time Cirkin and/or Sessegnon may be good enough to be at least back up LB's so we willl be a lot stronger then.

Hart on a free, looked to me a bit of a risk, but so far he's looked a very solid back up GK, streets ahead of Gazzaniga.

Vinicius has to be a deal put together by Mendes/JM and Levy all acting together - to get last season's top scorer from the Portugese league on a loan for a fee of about £2.5m with an option to buy (ie try before you buy) for 40m is just genius. Sure it might have been better done a week or two ago, but I suspect that agent Jan's own goal knocking Benfica out of CL took a bit of time to sink in that this loan deal was 'reasonable' for Benfica - I suspect their fans would have happily sold for say 30m to get cash in bank now to re-invest rather than the option of a higher amount in the future. But that's the genius to get this over the line.

Just stunning execution..........and a net spend of a little under £50m so far........to get in 6 players with the first 5 already settled in (I assume Bale has no settling in problems) without any issues.

Of course getting Skriniar (CB) in would be a very good move if it adds leadership to our defence ........but if it doesn't happen I dont think JM will cry about it as we have Alderweireld, Sanchez, Dier and Tanganga as CB's....and could keep CCV for depth to play v Stoke and most EL group opponents.

COYS

Nah mate

What's embarrassing is people starting 3/4/5 "Levy/Enic out" polls (or various themes) simply because they refuse to accept the results of the first 1/2/3/4. *

That is what will be used as a case study by psychologists and scholars in decades to come.

* It reminds me of someone but I can't quite figure out who.

iu

ive not started any polls. All I know is a lot of our fans have started to see sense. Can you deny Liverpool were worse than us 5 years ago? They spent money. Not much, and in line with the money they brought in, but enough to overtake us massively. They had a bit of luck, yes. But Mane over Sissoko in deadline day helps. Income similar over the past 5 years.

im actually ENIC out more than anything. Levy id happily keep on under new ownership. Let’s not forget the wealth ENIC have: offshore in a tax haven. Lewis a non dom tax exile living in the Caribbean. An individual who doesn’t contribute a penny to the state (let along our club) who was happy to furlough his staff and have US pay their salaries. Yes, let’s salute these people. Bow down to ENIC. Give me a break.

ive not started any polls. All I know is a lot of our fans have started to see sense. Can you deny Liverpool were worse than us 5 years ago? They spent money. Not much, and in line with the money they brought in, but enough to overtake us massively. They had a bit of luck, yes. But Mane over Sissoko in deadline day helps. Income similar over the past 5 years.

im actually ENIC out more than anything. Levy id happily keep on under new ownership. Let’s not forget the wealth ENIC have: offshore in a tax haven. Lewis a non dom tax exile living in the Caribbean. An individual who doesn’t contribute a penny to the state (let along our club) who was happy to furlough his staff and have US pay their salaries. Yes, let’s salute these people. Bow down to ENIC. Give me a break.
In the last 5 years the Dippers have spent £473.47m
We have spent £497.09m.
That is if my calculations are correct (?)
Figures from here;

So your argument (and others) about us not spending is a false one. It's how we spend it that has been a problem.

Name one owner of a PL club that has invested their own money in a club without it being put down as a loan ? (City excepted)

1. Their*
2. So are you saying Levy scouts, chooses and buys our players? If not, who is at fault that our nett spend hasn't resulted in the same outcome as Liverpool's?

Have a little think about what you're posting before you post it maybe? If in nett spend terms ENIC = FSG post us being better than them for a decade then who is at fault. Because for the life of me I can't pin that on Daniel Levy.

1. thanks for correcting my grammar. Late night typing.
2. Yes - levy is clearly instrumental in the decision making process when it comes to signings. Hence the cheap alternatives to players who would improve us we have gone for over last 5 years. Just look at the wing back positions. We were arguably the best equipped in the league in those positions 5 years ago. We have only now, at the time of writing, replaced Walker and Rose. Adequately, that is still to be seen. Do you think that’s acceptable? Do you think the multitude of cheap French options Levy brought in was acceptable - when MoPo was screaming out for proper competition?

Anyway - I could go on and on. I will stop posting in this section. The fact that you want to salute a multi millionaire who was willing to let the state, let us, cover his staff‘s salaries in the most desperate of times is so morally bankrupt. Don Levy. Do me a favour.

2. Yes - levy is clearly instrumental in the decision making process when it comes to signings. Hence the cheap alternatives to players who would improve us we have gone for over last 5 years. Just look at the wing back positions. We were arguably the best equipped in the league in those positions 5 years ago. We have only now, at the time of writing, replaced Walker and Rose. Adequately, that is still to be seen. Do you think that’s acceptable? Do you think the multitude of cheap French options Levy brought in was acceptable - when MoPo was screaming out for proper competition?

Anyway - I could go on and on. I will stop posting in this section. The fact that you want to salute a multi millionaire who was willing to let the state, let us, cover his staff‘s salaries in the most desperate of times is so morally bankrupt. Don Levy. Do me a favour.

Why is it entirely obvious that a valid, completely plausible retort would be wasted on you.....? :roll:

Geezer played a blinder this trf window.... You be you; no-one cares.

Much like liverpools owners then? Who don't pay tax here, put staff on furlough, and as you admit, run the club along similar lines.

Let's be straight here. I thought putting staff on furlough was wrong when the players, as far as we know, took no cuts.

But 70% of uk businesses did this, . Some much bigger brands and businesses than us, and in much larger number.

And at least we gave back to community by having all the hospital facilities at the stadium

Last edited:

2) In answer to pretty much every point you make - just shut the fuck up and read the thread title slowly.

Why is it entirely obvious that a valid, completely plausible retort would be wasted on you.....? :roll:

Geezer played a blinder this trf window.... You be you; no-one cares.

time will tell if the geezers played a blinder.
My argument against him has always been more about the long term. 6 months of spending doesn’t remedy the lack of investment for well over a decade. We could go back to Sabs and Nelson as an example of this. Happy to be proved wrong. And let’s say we have another window next year where we show similar ambition - I think, then, I might be willing to change my perspective.

My argument against him has always been more about the long term. 6 months of spending doesn’t remedy the lack of investment for well over a decade. We could go back to Sabs and Nelson as an example of this. Happy to be proved wrong. And let’s say we have another window next year where we show similar ambition - I think, then, I might be willing to change my perspective.
What a total wanker - lack of investment over a decade - are you sure?

Tottenham_Hotspur_Stadium_South_Stand.jpg

Wow, I can hardly fucking contain myself at that prospect. This is an appreciation thread, you want to try and run the guy down then I suggest you choose another place and definitely another time.

Back
Top Bottom