The Europa League appreciation thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Love the Europa League myself - you don't find the likes of Ekranas, FC Slovan Librec or Omania in the Champions League. And how is Brad Friedel supposed to get a game if we were in the Champions League? Think about that. A Friedel-less season.

Just imagine if we got FK Khazar Lankaran in the group? Amazing - Azerbaijan is the next Italy - just as we knew Qu Bo was the next Michael Owen! FK Khazar Lankaran are so good they have a. Ex-real Madrid and International Manager in change there - the one and only John Toshack!

So yeah, fuck your Champions League glitz and glamour - REAL European football is in the Europa League - yeah, is cheap, nasty, and most of the games are forgettable (anyone remember coming back from 2-0 down to Alborg) but Iove it. Bring on 5th place and all it's beautiful rewards! You can dream about Barca, Real, Dortmund and Milan all you like - I'm dreaming of Spurs v Inter Turku!

I think that the disrespect that the Europa league receives from many is pretty poor coming from us Spurs fans. Seriously.

Does no one else remember the first season we qualified for European football? We had such a long absence from it that it had made our heart grow much more fonder for it.

Not a dig at anyone, but I think that its only the fans that actually travel to these games who appreciate them a bit more.

Agree with the OP , the best game i've seen this year was the EL Semi final Benfica - Fenerbaçe. Although those germans did perform at a incredible level against the Armada in the CL

Im at work on Damrak....full of Chelsea and Benfica fans strolling around and Im jealous as fuck. Would take this final in a heartbeat over 4th.

The Chelsea lads Ive met have all been sound to be fair. Hope the atmosphere stays friendly and Ajax stay away.

As T says; if the competition wasn't treated as some kind of apology for CL teams not good enough to win Big Ears, and the rewards were not having to play something like 22 games to win the thing, the EL would be given the respect an European trophy deserves.

As it stands, it isn't, and as we continuously flash our ankles at the bigger tournament with better players it is a source of frustration now. I know some aren't too fussed about CL football but I, personally, am.

yep love it. (un)fortunately only missed maribor away (spursy).
Watching spurs in europe plus going to new grounds/places is what it's all about. Each to their own though.

XXX

Turn the Europa League into a straight knock from the start. Put it on a decent channel (none of this two bit ITV4, ESPN bullshit), give it a theme tune and change the branding, then no one would be bitching about it.

Part of the issue everyone has with the EL is the way in which its marketed. If someone in Uefa got some balls and put it on alternate weeks to the CL, you would see the media take an interest, the sponsors and then the rest of us would follow.

It remains a prestigious tournament.

Would rather win the EL than get Straw Dogged by Bayern at home. No amount of money in the world is worth a global pillaging.

Genuine Europa League love over here. I had a great time at the home legs for the knock outs - Inter was the best game we've played in a long time and the crowd were onside too. It was a great show of spirit when we played Basel as well.

Exciting games, more Spurs games per week and a good atmosphere. What more could you want?

The format is wrong. As suggested it should be a knockout from the start with 2 prelims for the real minnows.. And I also think it should be seeded for the first 2 rounds.

There should be NO drop down from the CL. I think this is as a big issue as the annoying group stages.

I like the cup and its a major part of our heritage. I also love the aesthetic look of the cup.

I will still be happy if we are in Europa League next season, as much as I love our current squad, it is not strong enough to win the champions league. another season in the Europa League gives us more time to develop our squad so that we can really push for the champions league as well as the Prem

Loved the EL this year, away days in europe are fantastic, champions league or europa. Opinion of it seems to have improved a lot this season, let's hope that in a few years, it back up there with the best competitions in europe. Uefa are not helping though, prize funds are penny's in comparison to CL and it's overshadowed by CL matches the two days before.

The jealously of chelsea fans currently is amsterdam says enough

Back
Top Bottom