the EVERTON AWAY match thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

*Logs in....shakes head.....logs back out*

#AVBOUT

Troll_becoming_a_mountain_ill_jnl.png

jumping in before you're mauled by the haters. What part of this defeat do you ascribe to AVB's failings as a football manager. I've not seen any of the game yet, but I am an AVB fan, so keen to hear from someone who isn't

Just the same old shit...bringing on Hundredstone to "shore up" the midfield, drop deep and defending the lead, taking off our only outlet in Lennon....falque??? I mean what the fuck.

We are jellyfish under him, spineless.

Fuck him.

Just the same old shit...bringing on Hundredstone to "shore up" the midfield, drop deep and defending the lead, taking off our only outlet in Lennon....falque??? I mean what the fuck.

We are jellyfish under him, spineless.

Fuck him.

Yes because Lennon was making such an impact in that game wasn't he. It's not as if we were pissing over Everton either.

Key players clearly tired, Lennon and Vertonghen stick out, those guys have seemingly played every game in very hard working roles.

May have been better to see Livermore come in to sure things up but it was highly noticeable that our substitutes lacked game time. When Falque came on all I could think was "I hope he knows where he is playing and get his position right".

Liverpool also won today, the race for 4th is too wide open for my liking.

Yea, it was fucking disgraceful taking Dembele off, I don't care if he IS still recovering from that injury and looked in pain when he went off. Play through the pain you pussy! At least AVB could have put Moutinho in instead of Siggy!!! Take a winger off, put a winger back on, it's that simple. Willian needs more minutes FFS! Why we ever signed a player of his caliber and haven't given him any starts yet is beyond me.

And Bale, why the fuck didn't Bale start?

It's criminal to use your substitutions to put fresh legs on the field! AVB should be ashamed, his miscommunication with Lloris directly resulted in that first Everton goal. Gallas is a much better CB, in my opinion.

#AVBOut!

And after these inspired subs?

Nothing inspiring about them. But you have to play the hands you are dealt with. I'm assuming you would have kept flogging the dead horse (Lennon) until he did a hamstring or something. Lennon wasn't doing anything we got a lucky goal and he made the change to go three in the middle. Then injury forced him to take of Dembele who was actually the best player on the pitch IMO.

What would you have done differently?

Got no problem with you saying AVB is shit if you have actually got an decent idea what should have been done instead.

Or should we just act like we are fucking Chelsea and sack our manager after they lose one or two games. And also on that note, who would you have instead? We could go back to playing George Graham type stuff and have Mark Hughes, or we could try and pry that tactical genius Ian Holloway away from Crystal Palace.

Yea, it was fucking disgraceful taking Dembele off, I don't care if he IS still recovering from that injury and looked in pain when he went off. Play through the pain you pussy! At least AVB could have put Moutinho in instead of Siggy!!! Take a winger off, put a winger back on, it's that simple. Willian needs more minutes FFS! Why we ever signed a player of his caliber and haven't given him any starts yet is beyond me.

And Bale, why the fuck didn't Bale start?

It's criminal to use your substitutions to put fresh legs on the field! AVB should be ashamed, his miscommunication with Lloris directly resulted in that first Everton goal. Gallas is a much better CB, in my opinion.

#AVBOut!

As funny as aids.

Nothing inspiring about them. But you have to play the hands you are dealt with. I'm assuming you would have kept flogging the dead horse (Lennon) until he did a hamstring or something. Lennon wasn't doing anything we got a lucky goal and he made the change to go three in the middle. Then injury forced him to take of Dembele who was actually the best player on the pitch IMO.

What would you have done differently?

Got no problem with you saying AVB is shit if you have actually got an decent idea what should have been done instead.

Or should we just act like we are fucking Chelsea and sack our manager after they lose one or two games. And also on that note, who would you have instead? We could go back to playing George Graham type stuff and have Mark Hughes, or we could try and pry that tactical genius Ian Holloway away from Crystal Palace.

Tell you what, you tell me why you think AVB is the right man for the job and I'll tell you all

Tell you what, you tell me why you think AVB is the right man for the job and I'll tell you all

You haven't got a fucking clue have you :adelol:

I think he's the right man for the job because he already has the fucking job. Because the players seem to love the guy, and because he is one of the most highly rated young coaches in Europe. He has a history of playing attractive attacking football, and of winning trophies.

Now if you would be so kind as to indulge us all with your superb tactical knowledge of the beautiful game, and a list of alternatives furnished with the cream of the best coaches in Europe.

Or should we just act like we are fucking Chelsea and sack our manager after they lose one or two games.
I'm calling it right now. Chelsea bring in Pep over the summer and spend another 50 million pounds.

Chelsea win the league, but lose their last game at home, snapping their perfect season. In retaliation, Abra fires Pep.

I think AVB is the right person because:
A: He rotates the squad instead of playing favourites into the ground
B: He knows international football, can choose decent transfer targets and has tactics for beating teams in Europe
C: He is actually (contrary to what the press want to believe) a good man manager and a diplomat for the club
D: He is young enough to have a long future at the club, promising a period of stability and growth, but experienced enough to manage at the top level
E: He promotes players through the youth system into the first team, providing us with a realistic method of competing long term with the billionaire-run super-rich clubs
F: He is tactically aware in a game, and responds to changes in play, and he adopts the right tactics against different teams

I didn't see the game today, I was travelling back from France, but I read the BBC write up, and I don't think anyone was complaining that it was our manager's tactics that screwed this game up for us

So come on Carlito, who would you have instead and what would you have done differently today at Everton?

The way I see it, three things undid us today over the lenght of the game:

1) Our pressing game is too hesitant and too incoherent. Many people argue, that pressing is reactive, is about running around a lot and is just unfashionable. We need a much more coherent pressure and we need the backline up, at least 5-10 meters at certain times, to strangle that space in which the opposition can play.

2) Meaningful possession. Much needed. Right now we attack all the time, trying too hard and too laboured to create chances. Of which we actually create very few open ones. We are in a limbo of not quite playing possession based pass-and-move attacking football and playing counterattacking football. Apart from the fact, that we can't keep the ball patienly enough to actually carve up defences nor attack quick enough to bypass them on the counter. We desperately need another player like Dembéle for the attacking third, effectively Rafa's role last season, to control the tempo of the game.

3) Winning 2nd balls outside both boxes. Now this dead horse is not nearly flogged quite enough yet. I have no stats to give you, but on visual merit we must be one of the worst teams at winning 2nd balls cleared out of either defence in those 15-20 yards in half circle outside either penalty kick spot. Bloody hell. Headed clearence or kicked, high or low, hammered or gently lobbed, it matters not. Spurs are almost always last to those balls. In the Premier League, that's just not on. Sorry, it's not.

And it's not the first time these three symptoms are emerging. Point 3) was an issue too in all Harrys time and even before. So was the lack of patience in 2). And 1) was a huge issue before Parker came in.

Btw, I see a fair few people mentioning the subs. Appearently they were wrong, too late, too early or just shit players. The way I see it, AVB had little choice. Sure, I'd perhaps (with limited knowledge of a fan) have put on Townsend on first for Defoe (so shore up left side and add pace on the break), then Gylfi for Dembélé (who was injured, appearently) and lastly (diving for cover) I'd bring on Naughton for Lennon (presuming Lennon was spent) and let Walker move to RM.
No matter my choices, the bench today was as good as we get with the present injuries. No it was. The squad is what we have, and for the record it is not nearly as good as last season. I'd happily take all of Niko, Corluka and

Therefore I don't get why people lash out at AVB. What the hell can he do ? I am quite certain he is well aware, that some names on that bench are not nearly good enough for us and some of the starters even. But before January little can be done.

For next game, if Dawson is not fit, I'd move Vertonghen inside with Caulker and let Towsend play left back. He's played emergency left back before and did ok. Certainly more at ease than Naughton.

Back
Top Bottom