the EVERTON AWAY match thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The way I see it, three things undid us today over the lenght of the game:

1) Our pressing game is too hesitant and too incoherent. Many people argue, that pressing is reactive, is about running around a lot and is just unfashionable. We need a much more coherent pressure and we need the backline up, at least 5-10 meters at certain times, to strangle that space in which the opposition can play.

2) Meaningful possession. Much needed. Right now we attack all the time, trying too hard and too laboured to create chances. Of which we actually create very few open ones. We are in a limbo of not quite playing possession based pass-and-move attacking football and playing counterattacking football. Apart from the fact, that we can't keep the ball patienly enough to actually carve up defences nor attack quick enough to bypass them on the counter. We desperately need another player like Dembéle for the attacking third, effectively Rafa's role last season, to control the tempo of the game.

3) Winning 2nd balls outside both boxes. Now this dead horse is not nearly flogged quite enough yet. I have no stats to give you, but on visual merit we must be one of the worst teams at winning 2nd balls cleared out of either defence in those 15-20 yards in half circle outside either penalty kick spot. Bloody hell. Headed clearence or kicked, high or low, hammered or gently lobbed, it matters not. Spurs are almost always last to those balls. In the Premier League, that's just not on. Sorry, it's not.

And it's not the first time these three symptoms are emerging. Point 3) was an issue too in all Harrys time and even before. So was the lack of patience in 2). And 1) was a huge issue before Parker came in.

Btw, I see a fair few people mentioning the subs. Appearently they were wrong, too late, too early or just shit players. The way I see it, AVB had little choice. Sure, I'd perhaps (with limited knowledge of a fan) have put on Townsend on first for Defoe (so shore up left side and add pace on the break), then Gylfi for Dembélé (who was injured, appearently) and lastly (diving for cover) I'd bring on Naughton for Lennon (presuming Lennon was spent) and let Walker move to RM.
No matter my choices, the bench today was as good as we get with the present injuries. No it was. The squad is what we have, and for the record it is not nearly as good as last season. I'd happily take all of Niko, Corluka and

Therefore I don't get why people lash out at AVB. What the hell can he do ? I am quite certain he is well aware, that some names on that bench are not nearly good enough for us and some of the starters even. But before January little can be done.

For next game, if Dawson is not fit, I'd move Vertonghen inside with Caulker and let Towsend play left back. He's played emergency left back before and did ok. Certainly more at ease than Naughton.

I love this post.

Totally on the money imo.

One thing I would add is if people like Townsend cant get a game when Bale is out the squad, whats the point of having him at Spurs - need some competition for Bale and Lennon. Easier said than done of course.

I love this post.

Totally on the money imo.

One thing I would add is if people like Townsend cant get a game when Bale is out the squad, whats the point of having him at Spurs - need some competition for Bale and Lennon. Easier said than done of course.

Townsend always flatter to deceive though doesn't he. Is he really any good?

Thats my point.

I suppose we should give the guy a chance. Maybe he will get a run against Swansea. I know Ben Davies for one is vulnerable to pace. And Rangel will not be able to get forward as much if he has a winger to worry about.

I watched it with a mate who is an Everton fan.

Both of us agreed a draw was the only real result he said they were lucky to snatch the result,
both teams equalled themselves out really and we are still missing a couple of players all though that was Everton's full strength team.

A defeat yes but no big deal we will catch it up just need to stop this late goal issue we have and we should be fine no need to panic.

And his opinion on AVB is that he's done ok with a team that had lost two of its better players and it takes time to gel it all together with new players and getting it to work his way he likes AVB he thinks they guy will get a good team going he actually likes AVB and thinks Chavski made a big blunder not letting him do the changeover of players he was brought in to do.
Remember Everton have had three crappy starts to three seasons and he still thinks when the team clicks properly Spurs will fly he's just loving it Everton had a decent start for them this season.

So that's an opinion form an Everton fan take from it what you will.

Personally we were unlucky today but it happens we were in it all the way through unlike some other big names that have been to Goodison this season and the end of last.

AVB just needs to keep channeling the inner tiger.
article-2245505-166E488D000005DC-83_634x416.jpg

I suppose we should give the guy a chance. Maybe he will get a run against Swansea. I know Ben Davies for one is vulnerable to pace. And Rangel will not be able to get forward as much if he has a winger to worry about.
I agree but just feel like is he ever going to kick on? If your main competition for your place is out the team you would/should be playing....if you are good enough.

I agree but just feel like is he ever going to kick on? If your main competition for your place is out the team you would/should be playing....if you are good enough.

In my head Falque is further ahead in the pecking order, not sure Townsend can be trusted in a PL game.

Does any one else think we should have just played more of a squad game in Europa at the risk of going out?

On one hand AVB needed the Europa games to get the team playing, learning the new style but a series of draws left us playing a strong lineup in the latter group games. 90 minutes here and there for our benched players would give us stronger options moving forward.

The leaking late goals thing is a worrisome trend I agree, but today's does not seem born from the same tendency to sit back and invite pressure as past late goals were this year. I actually thought we held possession decently afer scoring for a while and really we're only having this discussion again because Caulker needs to learn to listen to his goalkeeper and Gallas needs to get on a rocketship and never come back.

The Europe thing was also to do with Business it's a necessary Evil nowadays for us to be even competing in the top half of the division.

Sponsors if you had paid good money for shirt sponsorship for cup games and the then manager was dismissing the completions as pointless.

And maybe it has helped bring some of the new players on a little.

Yeah a draw and one point each (oh yet again), would have just possibly been a proper result.
but,
Spurs deserved the 3 points though, with lots of quality, class football :defoe: and Dempsey's great goal.
:dempsey2: wha'da fuck happened?!?

Spurs will still easily finish 3rd.
Levy must now open the bank account credit transfer via Coutts virtual bank
(with the overpaid lawyers nod probably required),
for both Moutinho and Willan in da Jan window.
A stormer for third. :avbdamn:

Moyes is a tedious bug eyed boring scottish tw*t
Good game - but focus and control went a bit pear shaped
:defoe:
Particularly towards the end- a blip after the last week surely

Would like to point out that Hugo is settling in nicely now, cant blame him for either goal and made one excellent save as well as commanding his area far more.

A draw would have been fair but shit happens, kneejerking isnt necessary, we arent the only team to get knobbed in injury time... Just ask Man City today.

And your just some out of town yank, what you going to do? No point me giving a name when a bunch of Internet zoids are just going to say "he's employed elsewhere"

He will be coming free before long, don't worry you'll be the first to know

Presumably if he's in a job and about to be unemployed soon then he isn't doing very well......

Didn't see the highlights but was listening on the radio earlier. Shame we didn't hold on, but Everton were obviously desperate for the home win and it was too much.

In any case, heading into chrimbo in a solid position, so fuck it.

AVB's BLUE AND WHITE ARMY!!

I'm worried if I'm honest. I've seen lots of 'good fixtures coming up' etc but I think they're the teams we struggle against? The likes of Swansea and Stoke at home, where we haven't been great?

Back
Top Bottom