The Faraway Fan

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This topic pops up on a regular basis. Not sure anyone has ever come up with a definitive answer.

If someone like me says i have been a fan for 50+ years, been home & away over land & sea, have a ST & spends 5 hours travelling to and from the matches they get countered by 'yeah, but i get up at 4.30am to watch the matches on TV & buy a replica shirt'.

Puts me right in my place.

Unless you have pissed the same water that a week later you drink from a tap, you are not a real Tottenham fan...
Said with tongue firmly in cheek

Runs and hides

Last edited:
This topic pops up on a regular basis. Not sure anyone has ever come up with a definitive answer.

If someone like me says i have been a fan for 50+ years, been home & away over land & sea, have a ST & spends 5 hours travelling to and from the matches they get countered by 'yeah, but i get up at 4.30am to watch the matches on TV & buy a replica shirt'.

The points the lady makes in the article are fair ones. However, i have had "discussions" on another forum with people totally dismissing the fact that being Spurs is in my blood and the DNA of the area i was from.
I was not commited,just lucky....

Last edited:
I’m a far away fan. Don’t care to read the article (no offence), don’t care to debate the legitimacy of my fandom.

I’m not a spurs fan for the sake of comparison in relation to others. Drawing division between our kin and their geographical foundation is the type of guff we should leave to the plastic clubs.

Literally nothing could stop me from feeling like a real fan.

I've been in both camps.
Born in Hayes, moved to Northwood in very early teens.
Was never a ST holder but was a member. Hardly missed a home game for about 15 years, went to a very few away games. Of course this was in the days when you could just pay at the turnstiles.
I've stood, or sat, in every stand at WHL, including once in the away end vs the Dippers where Rush tore us a new one (1 - 4 IIRC).

Then I moved to Ireland,so don't go anymore. The last game I saw live was vs Shamrock Rovers away in the EL.

Anyway, who gives a fuck, if you're Spurs, you're Spurs.

When I was a student couldn't afford satellite TV and used to go watch at a local sports bar - at the time (mid to late 2000s - majority here were Top 4 fans and Man City were irrelevant). Back then smoking was still allowed in bars so by the time game was done (often combined with a disappointing loss and 5-6 pints later) clothes were so drenched in smoke felt like the world has ended. Over and above the abuse from plastic cunts around me. Hated it.

Highlight was watching the 2007 final with some Chavski cunts who wanted to take me on for celebrating too hard after Woody scored.

Now I just scare my dog when Son misses a sitter and spill popcorn on the couch

I've had this conversation too with 'faraway fans', but I think it's born from a bit of an inferiority complex and feel the need to justify their support levels, so they're quick to point out the sacrifices they make to follow their beloved.

Personally I'm past caring about this sort of thing now, Tottenham/Levy wanted this global following and it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. More income from the global support means better players and subsequently more chance at success on the pitch, so we all have our place.

I've had this conversation too with 'faraway fans', but I think it's born from a bit of an inferiority complex and feel the need to justify their support levels, so they're quick to point out the sacrifices they make to follow their beloved.

Personally I'm past caring about this sort of thing now, Tottenham/Levy wanted this global following and it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. More income from the global support means better players and subsequently more chance at success on the pitch, so we all have our place.

Yep. Some of our fans who are season ticket holders and go to every game make me wish I wasn't a spurs fan. I'm talking about the cunts who sit behind me and moan all game every game, sometimes about a player before he's even done anything wrong. I'd gladly swap them with someone sitting in their replica shirt on the other side of the world watching the game at 4am in the morning.

Basically, there are good and bad fans. We could do with more good ones in the stadium. I know that much.

I was born in the UK to a family of Spurs fans but have been a faraway fan for most of my life. I think a more interesting question is whether you're the type of fan who chose to support Tottenham (like many US fans in the last decade) or are the type of fan who had no choice (one of my first words was Ardiles)

Yep. Some of our fans who are season ticket holders and go to every game make me wish I wasn't a spurs fan. I'm talking about the cunts who sit behind me and moan all game every game, sometimes about a player before he's even done anything wrong. I'd gladly swap them with someone sitting in their replica shirt on the other side of the world watching the game at 4am in the morning.

Basically, there are good and bad fans. We could do with more good ones in the stadium. I know that much.

Too right.

Back when I shared a ST, the fella behind me would turn up 15mins into the game stinking of booze, slur a few hellos to everyone sat round him, shout a few things about how shit we were playing (regardless of the score) and head to the concourse 5-10mins before HT. He'd resurface at some point in the second half, repeat the abuse and duck out before FT.

And yet, I know he would be the type to moan about the fake fans from around the world.

:mourcheeks:

Too right.

Back when I shared a ST, the fella behind me would turn up 15mins into the game stinking of booze, slur a few hellos to everyone sat round him, shout a few things about how shit we were playing (regardless of the score) and head to the concourse 5-10mins before HT. He'd resurface at some point in the second half, repeat the abuse and duck out before FT.

And yet, I know he would be the type to moan about the fake fans from around the world.

:mourcheeks:

It was you that was sat in front of me! Small world. Always wondered what happened to you.

Back
Top Bottom