The Finale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It seems like a lifetime ago, I've got some fond memories of the place though.

From watching that,

Dele does slow the play down and turn the ball over, but his off the ball running pulling opponents out of position is second to none

Ben Davies is an excellent defender

I think we miss Vic Wanyama in that form more than anyone else

I watched this a bit later last night. TBH, I watched the buildup, half time and the end, and just skipped through the best bits of the actual playing time.

Memories of that day for me:
  1. Seeing Chas 'n Dave at HT - such a shame that Chas didn't make it to see the new stadium.
  2. I am in one of the crowd shots (albeit just a glimpse of the top of my head - another occasion to curse my lack of inches!)
  3. Seeing Justin and Gilly taking part in the Legends Parade - heartbreaking to think they are no longer with us.
  4. Daveed strutting his stuff, like he owned the place, lapping up all the attention
  5. Seeing Erik The Viking again, still my favourite keeper (sorry Pat!)
  6. Poch's face at the end, looking so emotional and proud.
  7. Being amazed that Sicknote, at the time, held the record for Premier League appearances!
  8. The rainbow - I really thought that we were blessed and that Bill Nick was smiling down upon us.
  9. Having a little snigger to myself when the Go Compare guy came out to sing, when we were half expecting Adele.
  10. Getting onto the pitch.
  11. Being bribed by the stewards to leave ( I got a couple of lanyards out of them ;) ) and being the last person in the Paxton.
  12. Being interviewed by Spurs TV.
  13. Seeing people I hadn't seen for ages and reconnecting with them.
  14. Unashamedly crying my eyes out at the emotion of the occasion.
I was pleased to see that Harry had his tracksuit top from that day framed and hanging on his wall (see the interview he did re the Orient sponsorship) - obviously meant a lot to him too.

The day Tottenham died.
100% there was more than the stated attendance there. When the pitch invasion happened the stands were still full.
Miss the place and we died as a proper club that day.

We didn't die as a proper club that day, what does that even mean? The club didn't and will never die. We are the club, players, management, the board all come and go, we only leave when we die. The club is evolving, which it had to do, Levy and Lewis knew this and never saw the stadium as instant success. What they knew is that by building the new stadium, the club would indeed evolve, but slowly and surely be able to compete more year on year with the big boys.

The problem with our club at the moment is some of the fans who have delusions of us being a club that should win and when we don't they throw hate and bile at Levy, Lewis, Mourinho, the players etc. The ignorance in how they perceive the club should have operated while building a stadium/training centre etc is mind blowing and pretty funny when you think how bankrupt the club would be if they were running it.

Thinking that we would go on a massive spending spree and get instant success when we moved into the new stadium was never going to happen. We haven't even completed a full season in there and there are certain fans getting their knickers in a twist because we aren't spunking £200 million a year on players already. How can they be so ignorant to how football clubs operate and in particular how we were always going to operate for the first few years in the new stadium?

Some of the smarter, more sensible posters understand the club went through those past 10 years of austerity to ensure that once the stadium was built we'd be on a solid footing. We would have stuck by the club, even if we'd been relegated during that period. Some fans think that the only reason we did well these past 5 or 6 years was down to Poch, totally ignoring that the club as a whole has been run really well top to bottom in the past 10 years or so. The so called happy clappers can see that the stadium is slowly starting to and will continue to bring a huge increase in income into the club and that in a few seasons the club will be in an amazing position to utilise those funds and challenge for titles. Of course that will be all the more sweet to those that love and genuinely support the club, players, management and yes even Levy. The moaning twats will continue to whinge and moan and shit on the club whatever happens.

Football will eventually eat itself and shit itself out of its own backside with greed, that's the sad part of all of this. When a game puts itself before peoples lives its game over.

We didn't die as a proper club that day, what does that even mean? The club didn't and will never die. We are the club, players, management, the board all come and go, we only leave when we die. The club is evolving, which it had to do, Levy and Lewis knew this and never saw the stadium as instant success. What they knew is that by building the new stadium, the club would indeed evolve, but slowly and surely be able to compete more year on year with the big boys.

The problem with our club at the moment is some of the fans who have delusions of us being a club that should win and when we don't they throw hate and bile at Levy, Lewis, Mourinho, the players etc. The ignorance in how they perceive the club should have operated while building a stadium/training centre etc is mind blowing and pretty funny when you think how bankrupt the club would be if they were running it.

Thinking that we would go on a massive spending spree and get instant success when we moved into the new stadium was never going to happen. We haven't even completed a full season in there and there are certain fans getting their knickers in a twist because we aren't spunking £200 million a year on players already. How can they be so ignorant to how football clubs operate and in particular how we were always going to operate for the first few years in the new stadium?

Some of the smarter, more sensible posters understand the club went through those past 10 years of austerity to ensure that once the stadium was built we'd be on a solid footing. We would have stuck by the club, even if we'd been relegated during that period. Some fans think that the only reason we did well these past 5 or 6 years was down to Poch, totally ignoring that the club as a whole has been run really well top to bottom in the past 10 years or so. The so called happy clappers can see that the stadium is slowly starting to and will continue to bring a huge increase in income into the club and that in a few seasons the club will be in an amazing position to utilise those funds and challenge for titles. Of course that will be all the more sweet to those that love and genuinely support the club, players, management and yes even Levy. The moaning twats will continue to whinge and moan and shit on the club whatever happens.

Football will eventually eat itself and shit itself out of its own backside with greed, that's the sad part of all of this. When a game puts itself before peoples lives its game over.
We need a "standing ovation" button.

What a load of bull. I would sooner go back to WHL than the tourist trap we have now.
WHL had an edge and the happy clapping johnny come lately fans contribute zero to the atmosphere.

I miss White Hart Lane immensely, and I'm certain we would have won something if we never left WHL during the Pochettino era. The move to Wembley and chaos regarding the new stadium was a farce, and is probably a big reason that the Pochettino project went to pieces.

But obviously it was the right choice in a bigger perspective to get a new, modern stadium

The home leg of the Champions League quarter final vs City showed what it could be like at the new place. To say that the old ground was rocking at every game is not true. It is what you make it.

Back
Top Bottom