The Five Year Plan – To Dare is To Do

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From how i understand the article, it sounds like the club should carry on a two steps forward, one step back approach.
Let's compare that to the slow build up tactics we saw too often this season. Not fun to watch, and didn't deliver the result at times: lloris rolls out to jan, run and pass to sissoko, then lots of sideways passing while the oppo build a marble wall complete with chiselled flourishes. Attack fizzles out, send it all the way back to lloris. Seems analogous to me.
By the time we slowly build and renew the squad over five years, something else will have changed in the game to put the history clubs further ahead. Or the likes of Newcastle or Everton become competitive again. And don't take the spiral descent of chelsea and arsenhole for a given, they can turn around within two years.
In football you have to maintain momentum, on and off the pitch. A selling club will just be a stepping stone in the eyes of the players, and they'd be less bothered about sticking around.
The sale of bale and modric had to happen because we were even more of a one man show at the time, and basically a forgotten club domestically and in Europe. They had to move on to step up their own game. It's a bit different now we're in a position to be confident facing mid table teams, for example, or progress out of group stages.
The endless transitional phase is ideal for clubs that were just relegated or rescued from bankruptcy, not a team within touching distance of a trophy.
I say strike while the iron's hot, keep the best players and break out of the transitional cycle, just because the project is ahead of time doesn't mean we should slow down and pad it out.

"Adding de Ligt, Sessegnon and Pulisic would be unbelievable."

52acf.jpg

From how i understand the article, it sounds like the club should carry on a two steps forward, one step back approach.
...a selling club will just be a stepping stone in the eyes of the players... The sale of bale and modric had to happen because we were even more of a one man show at the time, and basically a forgotten club domestically and in Europe.
Ah... but imagine if we bought them back... or never have sold ANY of our recent best players in the 1st place???

Ladies & Gentlemen, my "Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda" XI:
[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dembele, Modric, Eriksen, Dele, Bale, Kane][/formation]

That right there woulda won us the league the last 3 years in a row!
I know I know... it's TOTALLY hypothetical, but there are still 2 empty weeks until tge World Cup.... a kid can dream can't he?

Ah... but imagine if we bought them back... or never have sold ANY of our recent best players in the 1st place???

Ladies & Gentlemen, my "Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda" XI:
[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dembele, Modric, Eriksen, Dele, Bale, Kane][/formation]

That right there woulda won us the league the last 3 years in a row!
I know I know... it's TOTALLY hypothetical, but there are still 2 empty weeks until tge World Cup.... a kid can dream can't he?
Be brave!

Back
Top Bottom