The game is about glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

BernardMatthews

“Wildly offensive and ill informed”
The game is about Glory……..What does that and the Glory Glory song mean to you?

Is glory just about a trophy? What is “success” on the pitch?

And in our current form of 20 years and 1 trophy are the song and the saying as relevant as ever to our club?

I’ve always put it with our successful days in the 60s. Nicholson, Blanchflower etc.

So is our club really about glory on the pitch nowadays? Or is it just some very good marketing?? Personally I feel the latter.

app-plug.jpg

It's not about glory at all for us. The whole internal structure and mentality of the club is set up for mediocrity, yet from the outside we appear like a club on the up with a shiny new world class stadium and training ground.

Yet, when opportunity strikes such as post CL Final, we don't grab it with both hands and start investing in big name players and find very talented youth slightly less on the public radar who would love to come to an up and coming London based club with the likes of Harry Kane, etc.

Of course, the timing is essential as this is all done to take advantage of the excellent hype and PR surrounding our club at the time in order to sustain us at that next level of being in the realm of consistently being taken seriously for top honours due to our new found squad depth, quality acquisition and financial weight when going in for top players.

Instead, we've stupidly assumed that continuing to penny pinch over ins and outs, not heavily investing in top class scouts, last min transfer panic fiascos and not backing top class managers (especially ones like Poch who proved his worth) would serve us well on the step up and somehow keep us at the level we were once at.

Surprise, surprise, we've not sustained what we had under prime Poch and we've gone massively backwards.

Means absolutely nothing today.
Just marketing bollocks .
To dare is to do , more bollocks.

The double team , Arthur's push and run , Burkinshaws early 80s .
Our owners have destroyed all meaning .

To each their own

I personally take immense glory from seeing us near the top of the Deloitte Money table and continuing to expand our vast property empire across the globe

I really don't see how the odd Fa Cup or even exciting transfer can compete with the thrill of seeing another apartment complex built from the ground up

COYS

And in our current form of 20 years and 1 trophy are the song and the saying as relevant as ever to our club?

I’ve always put it with our successful days in the 60s. Nicholson, Blanchflower etc.

So is our club really about glory on the pitch nowadays? Or is it just some very good marketing?? Personally I feel the latter.

app-plug.jpg
This photo is a good place to begin. Two players who now have a tarnished legacy built on the very tangible traditions of what we aspire to be. Pochettino got what we are, he connected with the spirit of Nicholson and Burkinshaw( the later of whom grew disenchanted with what busines had done to the dream). Well in Keith's worse nightmare he could not have conceived of Levy Lewis and ENIC.

That both Rose and Kane who were true belivers lost faith speaks volumes. You can see the fire in that photograph the resolve and passion of those men. We have fallen so far and I'm not going to lie, every day I lose a bit more faith. I'm middle aged now I saw us go from Hoddle Gascoigne Waddlel Ginola Bale Eriksen Kane to.....what ? where is the glory in Amarabat and the Luis Diaz game.?

We will get what we deserve, Draxler on loan and the kid from Lewes who's been shitting on us on Twitter. Until Levy is gone or invests properly I'm done spending. Not renewing and will stop the stub Hub pick ups. Because each year its become more plain I'm being exploited the only place in my lifevwhere this happens.

Last edited:
Glory Glory Hallelujah; the game is about glory; audere est facere….

Our sporting and cultural inheritance as fans packaged up and sold back to us by soulless, pencil necked marketing ghouls. Spurs aren’t by any means alone in this. “You’ll Never Walk Alone” is plastered all over Liverpool’s merchandise.

For periods in our club’s history the team (& occasionally the owners/chairman - I’m thinking the signing of the Argentines in ‘78 for eg) have embodied the verve and gusto signified by the name Hotspur.

Of course there have been fallow periods too but by and large supporters at various points in time have been able to choose Spurs and identify them with attractive, swashbuckling football which wasn’t consistent enough to deliver regular league titles. It was good enough however for frequent cup runs, many ending in trophies.

Since the advent of the PL our sport and our league has become a globalised juggernaut. Anything and everything is for sale and can be monetised - much like the UK as a whole. ENIC clearly put profit before glory, merchandise before trophies, property developments before signings.

In a sport run by cunts, for the benefit largely of other cunts, Levy - despite styling himself as some latter day Gordon Gecko - is a pygmy, a fucking laughing stock who has ostracised himself and our club. The other cunts won’t deal with our cunt!

Like the vast majority I’m sure architecture plaudits, balance sheets, a cinema and 72 flats, the Audi Cup are not signifiers of success. Success in football can only be measured by the trophies a club wins and the manner in which it chooses to entertain. So for me, a season ticket holding mug who dreams of the old days, the glory glory years are long gone…

This photo is a good place to begin. Two players who now have a tarnished legacy built on the very tangible traditions of what we aspire to be. Pochettino got what we are, he connected with the spirit of Nicholson and Burkinshaw( the later who grew disenchanted with what busines had done to the dream). Well in Keith's worse nightmare he could not have conceived of Levy Lewis and ENIC.

That both Rose and Kane who were true belivers lost faith speaks volumes. You can see the fire in that photograph the resolve and passion of those men. We have fallen so far and I'm not going to lie, every day I lose a bit more faith. I'm middle aged now I saw us go from Hoddle Gascoigne Waddlel Ginola Bale Eriksen Kane to.....what ? where is the glory in Amarabat and the Luis Diaz game.?

We will get what we deserve, Draxler on loan and the kid from Lewes who's been shitting on us on Twitter. Until Levy is gone or invests properly I'm done spending. Not renewing and will stop the stub Hub pick ups. Because each year its become more plain I'm being exploited the only place in my lifevwhere this happens.
Very well said mate.

Glory Glory Hallelujah; the game is about glory; audere est facere….

Our sporting and cultural inheritance as fans packaged up and sold back to us by soulless, pencil necked marketing ghouls. Spurs aren’t by any means alone in this. “You’ll Never Walk Alone” is plastered all over Liverpool’s merchandise.

For periods in our club’s history the team (& occasionally the owners/chairman - I’m thinking the signing of the Argentines in ‘78 for eg) have embodied the verve and gusto signified by the name Hotspur.

Of course there have been fallow periods too but by and large supporters at various points in time have been able to choose Spurs and identify them with attractive, swashbuckling football which wasn’t consistent enough to deliver regular league titles. It was good enough however for frequent cup runs, many ending in trophies.

Since the advent of the PL our sport and our league has become a globalised juggernaut. Anything and everything is for sale and can be monetised - much like the UK as a whole. ENIC clearly put profit before glory, merchandise before trophies, property developments before signings.

In a sport run by cunts, for the benefit largely of other cunts, Levy - despite styling himself as some latter day Gordon Gecko - is a pygmy, a fucking laughing stock who has ostracised himself and our club. The other cunts won’t deal with our cunt!

Like the vast majority I’m sure architecture plaudits, balance sheets, a cinema and 72 flats, the Audi Cup are not signifiers of success. Success in football can only be measured by the trophies a club wins and the manner in which it chooses to entertain. So for me, a season ticket holding mug who dreams of the old days, the glory glory years are long gone…

Bravo.

And I'd even forfeit the trophies for brilliant football with local lads and a progressive connection to the local community

To each their own

I personally take immense glory from seeing us near the top of the Deloitte Money table and continuing to expand our vast property empire across the globe

I really don't see how the odd Fa Cup or even exciting transfer can compete with the thrill of seeing another apartment complex built from the ground up

COYS

You forgot to mention we can spend £450m under FFP, the most of any club. Truly impressive accounting.

This photo is a good place to begin. Two players who now have a tarnished legacy built on the very tangible traditions of what we aspire to be. Pochettino got what we are, he connected with the spirit of Nicholson and Burkinshaw( the later who grew disenchanted with what busines had done to the dream). Well in Keith's worse nightmare he could not have conceived of Levy Lewis and ENIC.

Bloody well said. This is the first season i've actively stopped going to games since my first in 1977. The last 2 years have been the realisation that our owners aren't interested, not in trophies, not in entertainment. They just want to do enough to be top 7 or 8, keep things ticking over. Glory? They dont know the meaning of the word.

Good post. Glory is about knowing you've given everything you could and competing at the highest possible level.

Can't help feeling ENIC just got lucky with Pochettino and the signings shortly before his tenure. Without that period, there really hasn't been any glory since 1991 in my opinion.

Doesn't mean there can't be enjoyment and comaraderie found in the day to day supporting of the club (see: Leicester away), which is ultimately why most of us are here. But the Dare to Do and Glory slogans really aren't matched by the ownership's actions in the slightest.

app-plug.jpg
The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.

Back
Top Bottom