The Greatest Ever Season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I started supporting Spurs in 88/89, and this has been the greatest season of my life.
The 1991 cup win runs it close: I was a kid, we had Gazza, we won the FA Cup when it still meant something.
But for league and cup success combined, this is the greatest for me.

I know weve won the minor European cups before my time, and obviously we won the double (but if you were around for that and actually remember it, lets face it, youre on borrowed time so quit raining on our (lack of a) parade.))

Greatest ever season:

Thank you to the players.
Thank you to Levy.
But mostly thank you to Poch.

I never thought we would reach so high, and truly believe better times are ahead

Still raving about this League Cup we won in 2008 and I loved the period under Big Martin (my hero)

GettyImages-75384860.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, this is also the greatest I've seen. Been a fan since '95 so my earliest memories are of us being shit but with a League Cup sprinkled in.

I've never been more proud of this team over the last few years. From being a team who were DESPERATE just to finish 4th in the league to finishing in the top four for 4 years running and even as high as 2nd within that time and get to a Champions League final is pretty incredible for me.

Some people get frustrated withe lack of trophies and feel like it might be a bit small time celebrating things or being proud of teams that haven't won anything but fuck that. Over the last 30 years, we have barely won fuck all and when you're threatened with relegation, mid table obscurity and having to see the likes of Woolwich and Chelsea win trophy after trophy after trophy in the mean time, you bet I'm going to celebrate finally looking like a club that's on par or above those two.

We've gone through our first cycle, our first era under Pochettino and unfortunately we couldn't get to where we needed to be with that set of players and within a 24 month period we've have left our old stadium and lost Walker and Dembele whilst likely to lose Alderweireld and Eriksen.

We embark on a new era. A new stadium. Some new signings and a new platform. We live and we learn. We back this manager. We back this new squad that we'll have come the beginning of next season and we start this new chapter right.

COYS!

Haven’t posted in a while and didn’t post in the lead up to the final because I wanted to stay away. I’m so damn proud of this club, I started following Spurs in 2008 and I’ve seen our last cup win. In fact, that was the game that made me fall in love with this beautiful club.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think we could achieve what we have since Poch took over and this season we faced so many hiccups along the way, if you had’ve told me the following:
- Kane will have two extended breaks on the sidelines due to injury
- Son will miss three months due to international duties
- Dele, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Rose, Aurier, Lamela, Winks, Dembele all missing months of the season due to injuries
- Selling Dembele one january and not replacing him
- and on top of that we didn’t spend a cent in both transfer windows!

And we still secured a top 4 finish and made the CL final! What’s ride it’s been. I’m gutted we didn’t win the whole thing but we have created memories this season and I have a genuine love for most of these players. What a team, we’re inching closer and closer to something special every year. COYS!

Not for me, It ended on too much of a sour note. 91 was better for me and even 2010, because it ended on such a high when we beat City and a whole new era beckoned. The journey for this season was brilliant, some incredible high points than pretty much any other, but the ultimate destination and manner of its end was too much of a kick in the bollocks so ultimately diminished it to a degree, and we're left uncertain over things, like Poch, Eriksen and Toby staying, bringing in the players we need to make a step up.

It's ironic, probably the fans we could most relate to at the moment are Woolwich ones of 2006. They must still feel sick the ref sent Lehman off and didn't just give a goal. Would we take the next decade they had? Never quite getting there again but winning a few domestic cups and getting top 4 regularly? I'd want more personally.

For the club as a whole, I can see how this season and the recent sustained spell in the Champions League, with someone as likeable as Poch at the helm, has been unprecedented. Certainly, on the business side of things, this has been so important in firming the foundation for the Club's future.

For me personally, I will always treasure 2008 and that Carling Cup run. I was in the UK that year and managed to get to Wembley for the Final. Celebrating that winning goal and the final whistle with complete strangers, and yet who weren't, will be one of the greatest memories of my life. Say what you want about the stature of that competition (and that we had Juande in charge after the shambles with BMJ :pochfacepalm:), there is no feeling like going all the way and taking the trophy. I just hope we get to experience this sooner rather than later, or worse - never, with Poch and his players.

Only our supporter base would claim this is one of our greatest seasons when we have lost 20 games, are currently on the worst losing streak since 2008 and have wasted yet another massive opportunity and finished the season without silverware - again.

Only our supporter base would claim this is one of our greatest seasons when we have lost 20 games, are currently on the worst losing streak since 2008 and have wasted yet another massive opportunity and finished the season without silverware - again.
Supporters tend to try to view their team's achievements in a positive light.
People that obsses about the negatives of a sport team and then continually post their negative views about that team online are not called supporters: they are traditionally refered to as 'trolls', I personally prefer the more eloquent term 'cunts'.
You, sir, are one massive cunt

I started supporting Spurs in 88/89, and this has been the greatest season of my life.
The 1991 cup win runs it close: I was a kid, we had Gazza, we won the FA Cup when it still meant something.
But for league and cup success combined, this is the greatest for me.

I know weve won the minor European cups before my time, and obviously we won the double (but if you were around for that and actually remember it, lets face it, youre on borrowed time so quit raining on our (lack of a) parade.))

Greatest ever season:

Thank you to the players.
Thank you to Levy.
But mostly thank you to Poch.

I never thought we would reach so high, and truly believe better times are ahead
Your post made me furious...greatest season ever........we failed and won nothing .....wow some of this clubs supporters are embarrassing to be honest. Not even scummy Liverpool are saying that and they won....accept meritocracy and stay mediocre......wow

Brilliant post mate...damn right

Greatest season for me is enjoyment really. In that respect it would be the 1991 FA Cup as even though I was very little I loved it, then probably the first time we qualified for the CL taking it over Man City. I also loved two seasons ago the last season at the old lane the football we played was unreal and also some of the football under Redknapp with Bale and Modric.

This season is the weirdest. Mainly I hated it, tons of tired injured players, stuck at Wembley for a long time, football was not of greatest quality but then at the end coming in to the amazing unbelievable new stadium, getting CL football for next season after Woolwich bottled the prem as we fell apart in the league towards the end and then this brilliant CL run to the final only to lose to bloody Liverpool.

Overall mixed emotions for this season, without doubt this is the biggest crossed roads for us as a club. We can use this like Liverpool and goes balls deep to drive on or have this as the pinnacle of our achievement.

This was not Spurs greatest season ever....it was an immense achievement given everything that went on (stadium, injuries etc), but everything we have lost has been mainly our own undoing.

We are our own worst enemy, and we still can’t translate big talk into big football.

But there’s alway next year right

1981-82 was a good season

Drew in the Community Shield

Won the FA cup after a replay and was a shit game.

Runners-up in the League Cup

Semi-finals of the CWC where Barca kicked us from start to finish.

Finished 4th in the League and had a chance of winning it but ran out of steam

All this where we played from, January on, a game every 3 days or so.

It is the greatest ever season if you haven't witnessed the past.

Winning the UEFA in 1984 and me living in Turnpike Lane still lives and feels in my body

Wining the FA cup in 1991 was another memorable season, beating woolwich on the way

This season was very good, ups and downs, poor PL run since January, being CL finalist is a big achievement but the label of greatest ever season is OTT. This is my feelings and opinion, you don't need to agree but don't disagree.

Our greatest ever season!!!!!!!
Some people need give their head a serious fucking wobble.
And we wonder why we're so often the butt of other supporters jokes!

Your post made me furious...greatest season ever........we failed and won nothing .....wow some of this clubs supporters are embarrassing to be honest. Not even scummy Liverpool are saying that and they won....accept meritocracy and stay mediocre......wow
My opinion of the seasonal achievements. You can agree or disagree, but being furious is a bit bizarre.
Gazza's free kick against the goons was truly glorious, and emotionally tops anything else in my footballing lifetime. Although the Man City quarter final this year was the most exciting game ive ever seen (not just Spurs)
But this is a better team, that has achieved more, and this season was the pinnacle.
Losing to a dodgy penalty in the final of the European Cup while coming in the top four above the richest team in the world - Man Utd.
Im saying objectively it is the greatest season (the double aside) ever, even if emotionally we are all currently on a downer

In terms of the actual QUALITY of the football played, then it has to be either 1981/82, 1986/87, or 2015-2017....

But in terms of raw drama and emotional rollercoaster moments... this season will be hard to match!

FUCKING loved every second...
Just not the first 30 of them last night!

We may have got to a final but we lost. Our standard of play generally was not as good as the last 2 seasons. The years we won trophies were better. Whilst winning say a league cup now has been depreciated that was not the case when we won it. Our league form alone was not as good as recent years. How can you compare this year to winning the double.
Because we got to a CL final it will be a year I remember but I cannot agree it is our greatest season although had we won then that would have been different.

We may have got to a final but we lost. Our standard of play generally was not as good as the last 2 seasons. The years we won trophies were better. Whilst winning say a league cup now has been depreciated that was not the case when we won it. Our league form alone was not as good as recent years. How can you compare this year to winning the double.
Because we got to a CL final it will be a year I remember but I cannot agree it is our greatest season although had we won then that would have been different.
I specifically said, lets not compare to the double: it was so long ago it is almost like they were playing a different game.
Ignore the double (and earlier) then my argument is this is our most successful season ever, regardless of your aesthetic taste for the football played

It was obviously great to reach the final of the CL, but the quality of football was overall pretty average, about 15 to 20 percent of the matches were great in terms of quality.

Back
Top Bottom