The history of Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was on TalkSport yesterday (do forgive me!) Talking about this and I said that we are a big club but not in the current era. In the PL era we simply can't think of ourselves as a big club by trophies certainly.

There are many variables which can be thrown into the equation about what makes a big club.

I did laugh at the next caller, a Liverpool fan, who said in response to me saying we were a big club yesteryear that he laughed at my suggestion and that we'd never been a big club.

I was on TalkSport yesterday (do forgive me!) Talking about this and I said that we are a big club but not in the current era. In the PL era we simply can't think of ourselves as a big club by trophies certainly.

There are many variables which can be thrown into the equation about what makes a big club.

I did laugh at the next caller, a Liverpool fan, who said in response to me saying we were a big club yesteryear that he laughed at my suggestion and that we'd never been a big club.

I do hope you reminded him that pre Shankly. Liverpool had been in 2nd division for a few years and not even the biggest club on Merseyside.

Their first FA Cup win was a decade or so after Spurs had won it.

Nouveau riche back in the 80's

I would question even putting out there that a valid measurement of a 'big club' is recent trophies . To have a history of winning trophies over numerous decades, managers, can place you in the bracket of a big club.

To use how many won in the current PL era as a valid measurement, places Wigan and Portsmouth alongside us and Everton. It's non-sensical to use that as a variable to measure.

I'd argue, if your ground is big and full throughout this current era, if you have one of the best records for euro qualification in last 15 -18 years, only one of 4 to get to a Champs league final, and one of only 2 not bankrolled by dodgy money, in last 10 years, all make you a big club. To have record matchday revenue, be in top 5 for turnover?
How many big clubs are there then? and how many have qualified for Champs league more than us in last 6 years?

of course we're a big club, even in this current era. Up to you of course but I wouldn't even entertain TS with their clickbait nonsense.

I would question even putting out there that a valid measurement of a 'big club' is recent trophies . To have a history of winning trophies over numerous decades, managers, can place you in the bracket of a big club.

To use how many won in the current PL era as a valid measurement, places Wigan and Portsmouth alongside us and Everton. It's non-sensical to use that as a variable to measure.

I'd argue, if your ground is big and full throughout this current era, if you have one of the best records for euro qualification in last 15 -18 years, only one of 4 to get to a Champs league final, and one of only 2 not bankrolled by dodgy money, in last 10 years, all make you a big club. To have record matchday revenue, be in top 5 for turnover?
How many big clubs are there then? and how many have qualified for Champs league more than us in last 6 years?

of course we're a big club, even in this current era. Up to you of course but I wouldn't even entertain TS with their clickbait nonsense.
All great points.

My distinction for big and small clubs is the media coverage; if they make the national news, they're a big club; if they're only covered by the local rag, they're a small club.

Another shibboleth comes to mind: Have they made the Subbuteo catalogue?

If you've read about them in The Sun and you found a small green box with 11 plastic men painted in the team's strip, it's a big club.

I think Tottenham Hotspur comfortably fits that profile.

My distinction for big and small clubs is the media coverage; if they make the national news, they're a big club; if they're only covered by the local rag, they're a small club.

Another shibboleth comes to mind: Have they made the Subbuteo catalogue?

If you've read about them in The Sun and you found a small green box with 11 plastic men painted in the team's strip, it's a big club.

I think Tottenham Hotspur comfortably fits that profile.
To be fair. I have a Haringey Borough subbuteo team...

Black and white tellies, penny chews, flared trousers the first time around, playing marbles on drains at school, teachers who could beat the shit out of you, having to press a 'party line' button on your home phone hoping the other bugger sharing the line wasn't listening in. I could go on...

You had a phone????

Three (3) channels on telly, Jubbly's, casual racism, Chippers and Choppers (depending on how big you were), Janet & John books at primary school, power cuts, the proverbial white dog shit (too much calcium in your tins of Winalot & Pedegree Chum, apparently), asbestos, shit haircuts, mum making 'hamburgers' with crusts cut off white bread slices, conkers, etc etc...

Three channels???

Luxury

Three (3) channels on telly, Jubbly's, casual racism, Chippers and Choppers (depending on how big you were), Janet & John books at primary school, power cuts, the proverbial white dog shit (too much calcium in your tins of Winalot & Pedegree Chum, apparently), asbestos, shit haircuts, mum making 'hamburgers' with crusts cut off white bread slices, conkers, etc etc...
... sweets that looked like pebbles.

Forgive him - he might have been under 40 years old.

Back
Top Bottom