The Hull Goal - '78

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

‘Bolton and ourselves were playing on the Wednesday; Southampton and Brighton the previous night – Southampton drawing at Orient which, with their goal average, was enough to guarantee them promotion and Brighton beating Charlton to keep up the pressure.

These results meant that Tottenham had to win on the Wednesday. Our opponents were Hull, who were already relegated, but promised beforehand that they would make us fight every inch of the way; and before a tense almost hysterical crowd of 36,913 they did just that. The game was a physical, irritable one throughout, a far cry from the football which had taken us so close to the First Division, and with time running out I pushed myself forward. It paid off five minutes from time as we were flinging bodies madly into the Hull area, and as John Duncan and the Hull goalkeeper clashed after a corner I was able to stab the ball home for my only goal of the season and one of the most vital of my career. Hull protested bitterly that the goal should have been disallowed for a foul on the goalkeeper, and they might have had a point. In that atmosphere, it would have taken a brave referee to disallow it, however, and we were not concerned about how the goal came, only that it did.’

Steve Perryman

Had to listen for the final score at the end of the 9 O clock news, showed brief highlights before relieving my angst by saying captain Perryman stepped up for only goal of season..and I think that's where I first heard it mentioned that some took souvenirs of the pitch home, using forks. Later confirmed decades on, from another source.

Had to listen for the final score at the end of the 9 O clock news, showed brief highlights before relieving my angst by saying captain Perryman stepped up for only goal of season..and I think that's where I first heard it mentioned that some took souvenirs of the pitch home, using forks. Later confirmed decades on, from another source.

I got myself a large lump of turf. Didn't keep it alive for long though.

thought we had to draw at southampton on last day to go up, seem to remember listening to match but not on the edge of my seat as after the first half it felt as if both teams were happy to pass the ball and not go near the others goal

‘Bolton and ourselves were playing on the Wednesday; Southampton and Brighton the previous night – Southampton drawing at Orient which, with their goal average, was enough to guarantee them promotion and Brighton beating Charlton to keep up the pressure.

These results meant that Tottenham had to win on the Wednesday. Our opponents were Hull, who were already relegated, but promised beforehand that they would make us fight every inch of the way; and before a tense almost hysterical crowd of 36,913 they did just that. The game was a physical, irritable one throughout, a far cry from the football which had taken us so close to the First Division, and with time running out I pushed myself forward. It paid off five minutes from time as we were flinging bodies madly into the Hull area, and as John Duncan and the Hull goalkeeper clashed after a corner I was able to stab the ball home for my only goal of the season and one of the most vital of my career. Hull protested bitterly that the goal should have been disallowed for a foul on the goalkeeper, and they might have had a point. In that atmosphere, it would have taken a brave referee to disallow it, however, and we were not concerned about how the goal came, only that it did.’

Steve Perryman
Plenty of Spurs at Brisbane Road the previous evening.

Back
Top Bottom