The Impact of Covid on Spurs & Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry Jenny. But you are looking at it purely from a Spurs perspective.
The fact Spurs are in a load of cup competitions and have had games postponed because of the virus (as have we) isn’t Villa’s fault or problem.
Can you seriously say if the roles were reversed you’d happily send the kids to play our first team ?

By the same idiotic logic, the fact you fucking scumbags can't stay virus free isn't spurs fault or problem either.

We're not playing 3 or 4 games in a fucking week again because you dirty villa monkeys can't stay virus free.

Give us the points or play your kids. Simple.

Now fuck off back to the villa forum shithole you crawled yo bitch ass out from

By the same idiotic logic, the fact you fucking scumbags can't stay virus free isn't spurs fault or problem either.

We're not playing 3 or 4 games in a fucking week again because you dirty villa monkeys can't stay virus free.

Now I want a dirty monkey .......,

dirty-monkey-cocktail-recipe.jpg

I was just making valid points and don’t know what I’ve said to deserve that response.

What would you think of the league implementing a scaled punishment system for players that are caught breaking covid guidelines?

Let's say that for their first offence. Lamela, Lo Celso and Reguilon are banned for 3 games each. If one of them is then caught doing it a second time, that's a 6 match ban. And for any third time offenders you get a 3 month ban.

That would ensure the clubs keep their players in line I would think. Since they would not allow the players to jeopardize their results that way.

Manchester City's Premier League match at Everton on Monday was postponed four hours before kick-off because of an outbreak of coronavirus at the club.

A City statement said: "After the latest round of Covid-19 testing, the club returned a number of positive cases, in addition to the four already reported on Christmas Day.

Newcastle United's Premier League game at Aston Villa on Friday has been postponed following a "significant increase" in Covid-19 cases at the Magpies' training ground.

Five Newcastle players and two staff members have tested positive, reports BBC Newcastle's Matthew Raisbeck.

“Always abide by what you’re being told by doctors and medical staff with regard to the protocols about keeping your distance and the hygiene that’s required.

“I understand with the celebration of a goal it’s difficult to just put the ball in the back of the net and act as though nothing has happened.

“It’s that adrenaline rush… that’s what the game is all about, but that’s part and parcel of the process, so they’ll be reminded.”

Couldn’t agree more. I just can’t see how we could be forced to play with the kids again in the League though.

Otherwise, surely Newcastle would have had to do the same against us and Fulham would have had to do the same against Spurs ?

If we have to play with the kids again on Wednesday we are basically being punished in both the League and the FA Cup, when other Premier League teams have been able to postpone when they had COVID cases.
In addition, the local press here are reporting that the number of cases at Villa are far worse than they were at Newcastle or Fulham.
Where the problem lies is that they are doing it on an ad hoc basis, but no one knows exactly whats happening.

Off field staff: should only postpone games if physios/ Doctors are not available. That includes the entire coaching staff

Players: only if there are less than 11 of the named Premier league squad available. And if that means a keeper on the wing, so be it

But it should all have been decided and publicly known before the season started

Where the problem lies is that they are doing it on an ad hoc basis, but no one knows exactly whats happening.

Off field staff: should only postpone games if physios/ Doctors are not available. That includes the entire coaching staff

Players: only if there are less than 11 of the named Premier league squad available. And if that means a keeper on the wing, so be it

But it should all have been decided and publicly known before the season started
Agreed. It definitely should have been decided and all teams should have been made aware of what the protocol was for all teams before a ball was kicked. Let’s face it, it was always likely to happen.
From a Villa perspective, we’ve obviously obliged with Newcastle’s request to have our game with them postponed when they had fewer COVID cases than us and have seen other Premier League games called off in similar circumstances. Obviously to then be told you’ve got to play your kids again and get hammered out of sight was completely unfair and I’m pleased that common sense has prevailed. Also with Spurs arranging the match with Fulham they aren’t falling further behind with the fixture congestion so looks like the best solution all round.

What would you think of the league implementing a scaled punishment system for players that are caught breaking covid guidelines?

Let's say that for their first offence. Lamela, Lo Celso and Reguilon are banned for 3 games each. If one of them is then caught doing it a second time, that's a 6 match ban. And for any third time offenders you get a 3 month ban.

That would ensure the clubs keep their players in line I would think. Since they would not allow the players to jeopardize their results that way.

I'm not sure clubs can control what their players get up to outside training hours - case in point being Lo Celso, Lamela and Reguillon having their party even when they knew it breached uk covid regulations.

A punishment banning players does not hurt the players enough whilst punishing the clubs by depriving the club of their players.

I would go for massive fines on players - tell PFA that the maximum 2 week fine is suspended during covid and fines of up to 3 months pay per incident will be levied,

The players are paid so much that the fine only means them not accumulating as much wealth.

Don't forget clubs with large numbers of positively tested players will need to reschedule matches which itself is a penalty. Might be something to be said that any club having more than (say) 15 players testing positive in the season have a financial penalty of say £500k per player.

Sky seem to want all games on the last day to finish at the same time even if everything is decided. I’ve always found it a bit weird. If they were so worried about the integrity of fixtures of a weekend then they would make everyone play at the same time. It’s only done for a hopeful dramatic effect, that will happen once in a blue moon. There is no reason at all, especially this year if games don’t finish on the same day.
To be fair to Sky or the TV companies it's not their decision and it's right that they do all kick off at the same time on the final day.
TV would prefer to stagger it all out over a weekend as always. That gets more viewers for longer. People can only watch one thing at a time.

A few years back United had a bomb scare hoax and cancelled the last game of the season. It was played later that week after everything else as it was dead rubber from memory but it was allowed to happen in the circumstances

Back
Top Bottom