The Impact of Covid on Spurs & Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Distaste for scouse

Hates football hipsters. Go cram your XG up your..
If there is already a thread covering this I haven't seen it so I apologize in advance

What I want to discuss here is the impact on Spurs and football in general after the dust settles on this virus.

Would like to hear people's thoughts on;

How are we going to be affected?
Are we at any remote risk of going under with the stadium debt?
Will we have to sell players?
Will global player values and wages have to decrease moving forwards?
Will the price of tickets increase/decrease as a result of this?
Will football and sport in general change forever?

There is already a thread discussing the Impact on this season go there if you want to discuss how this season ends, of if the dippers get their title. This thread is to discuss possible long term impacts.

Nobody has a crystal ball but interested to know people's thoughts

If there is already a thread covering this I haven't seen it so I apologize in advance

What I want to discuss here is the impact on Spurs and football in general after the dust settles on this virus.

Would like to hear people's thoughts on;

There is already a thread discussing the Impact on this season go there if you want to discuss how this season ends, of if the dippers get their title. This thread is to discuss possible long term impacts.

Nobody has a crystal ball but interested to know people's thoughts
Possibly add the “players not doing their bit” pay cuts etc once this is over and life gets back to some kind of normality and contracts are negotiated and wages taken into the equation guaranteed what’s happened will leave a bad taste.

Possibly add the “players not doing their bit” pay cuts etc once this is over and life gets back to some kind of normality and contracts are negotiated and wages taken into the equation guaranteed what’s happened will leave a bad taste.

I don't think they will have any choice in taking wage cuts tbh its only a matter of time.
If all clubs agree to reduce wages what can players do?
They are only worth what clubs are willing and able to pay and moving forwards clubs are going to struggle to pay them imo.

There'll be no money for big transfers so we'll mostly have to work with what we've got, Mourinho isn't the man for this so it'd be best to dispense with his services.

I don't think they will have any choice in taking wage cuts tbh its only a matter of time.
If all clubs agree to reduce wages what can players do?
They are only worth what clubs are willing and able to pay and moving forwards clubs are going to struggle to pay them imo.

We've already seen non-playing staff sacrificed before the wealthier end of the pay scale are prepared to make any sacrifices... Disgusting.

Last edited:

1 - we are probably one of the best placed to see this through (us, Scum, Liverpool, Utd have the most viable businesses in the PL)
2 - the longer there are no games (particularly games with fans in attendance) the higher the risk we could
3 - who would we sell them to? Every team is in the same situation or worse
4 - values will drop, wages are fixed for an average contract term of say 3 years
5 - no
6- probably not, it won't take too long before they get back to normal

Disgusting of them to hide behind the NHS, whether there are any kernels of truth in that statement or not, its still sick.

The amount of money they all earn they shouldn't think twice about bailing out all the peripheral staff that help facilitate them (at least in the short term) regrdless of what comes next. Why should the taxpayer have to do it for them; they're the one's on the fucking football gravy-train; not us.

The amount of money they all earn they shouldn't think twice about bailing out all the peripheral staff that help facilitate them (at least in the short term) regrdless of what comes next. Why should the taxpayer have to do it for them; they're the one's on the fucking football gravy-train; not us.

When I first read the article with the comments from the PFA, my initial thought was that this might turn the general public against players in a big way that is detrimental to the sport.

When I first read the article with the comments from the PFA, my initial thought was that this might turn the general public against players in a big way that is detrimental to the sport.

I shan't be heartbroken if it does....

For a long time now the richer end of the game has been defended on the basis of supply & demand and 'well we generate X so we deserve Y'; yet there's a blatant reluctance to see it as a 2 way street and this only serves to justify the prior criticism all along.

For us or football in general?

For football and all PL clubs.

If no football for 6 months, season not completed and players get paid and broadcasters/media/sponsorship ask for rebate, clubs will go bust. The cash in the bank will dry.

Only way round it, Joe Lewis, Roman Abromovich, Sheik Mansour and other owners put their own cash in their own clubs.

That is shocking if they don’t. As you next post says, their wages have been justify on supply and demand, well there is no supply anymore and the world is in crisis.

If they are so keen on the NHS they can take a 30% pay cut then donate another 30% to the NHS, they will still be able to live off the remain 40K a week.

At the end of this crisis celebrities, footballers and billionaires will end up looking like a bunch of lowlife scumbags and the public will not wince or defend them if they are taxed to high heaven and are not given the privileges they are used to.

Mansour and the Russian always put money in their club. This will make it even easier for them to navigate financial fair play.
Lewis only sees us as an investment and will put money in only at last resort to keep us alive but we won't remain competitive

So we tick a couple of those boxes, but with the stadium debt is that us fucked?

Our debt is pushed out many many years. We only have the interest to deal with and that is more than serviceable.

I have my issues with Levy but he knows how to forward plan financially better than anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom