The Mighty Spurs vs. Chavs FC (Away) :2nd may 16

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ahhh. Cheers. I can't remember that at all. My memory is just so fucked.
f1i7hw.jpg

Just curious, the people who were OK with how we conducted ourselves in this game, did the way the next two games panned out change you view this now, in hindsight? I thought Windy went a bit OTT but by and large I agreed 95% with him and I'd say his reading has been pretty much vindicated

Just curious, the people who were OK with how we conducted ourselves in this game, did the way the next two games panned out change you view this now, in hindsight? I thought Windy went a bit OTT but by and large I agreed 95% with him and I'd say his reading has been pretty much vindicated

Not really we would have probably gone one of two ways, either total capitulation or pycho fight, we went with pycho.

Chelsea in many previous games have beaten us just by bullying and if that happened and we lost then our heads would have dropped and we would have the same result as we had at Newcastle.

The Chavs pre match goaded us, then surrounded the ref and our players at every opportunity just to wind us up. If We snapped Hazards legs I would laughed quite frankly.

The season didn't end perfectly but we showed Chelsea we wouldn't be bullied any more, my only regret was Dembele getting suspended and not injuring their players for being total pricks.

We never have games like this with Woolwich or West Ham. In fact Woolwich only have violent derbies mostly with Chelsea, it's what their club does.

Our players are young and perhaps didn't know how to use their aggression but I was fucking happy we were aggressive. At least we can be hard, we will get better at it.

This was one of the best games of football I have watched and nothing will change my opinion on that. What annoys me is it wasn't until Citeh's whimper in CL semi-final that pundits/media actually said they wished Citeh played like Tottenham, having only 48hrs before slated us. Go take a read of end of season reviews being published right now, most pundits selecting this game as "game of the season", hard to imaging given the shit that was spoken immediately after the game.

Bottom line is we lost any slim hope of the title after WBA result. A game on another day we go in at halftime 4 or 5-0 up, which makes our level of performance in the Chelsea game even more admirable.

Podcast transcript with Clattenburg

Rog: I need to ask you this: did a Clattenburg refereed game have a personality, if so, what were its traits?

Clats: There's one game in particular, which was the "Battle of Stamford Bridge." It was Chelsea vs. Tottenham, if was the famous that year Leicester win the title, it was theater. I went in with a gameplan that I didn't want Tottenham Hotspur blaming Mark Clattenburg that they were gonna lose the title. It should've been 3 red cards to Tottenham; I allowed them to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went, "Tottenham lost the title." If I sent 3 players off from Tottenham, what's the headlines? "Clattenburg lost Tottenham the title," and it was pure theater that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester win the title.

Rog: In that game, were the Chelsea players not screaming bloody murder, they're like, "Clattenburg what are you doing we're getting massacred here!"

Clats: It was the first game where Diego Costa never got cautioned (laughs). It was so crazy when you look back at the game but, when Hazard scored to equalize to make it 2-2 I've never felt an atmosphere in a stadium before like that before, because of Chelsea had stopped one of the enemies winning the title.

Rog: In a way you scripted it.

Clats: ...I helped the game, I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing. Some referees would have played by the book and Tottenham would have been down to 7 or 8 players and probably lost, and Tottenham would've been looking for an excuse but I didn't give them an excuse, because me gameplan was let them lose the title.

Rog: Listening to this, I was like, "Wow, Mark Clattenburg, even crazier than Diego Costa" (Clats laughs) that is saying something, but you've said, "I want games to be a spectacle," and hearing you talk about the Battle of Stamford Bridge, is that the referee's job or is it really down to the players?

Clats: I think we're all part of theater. That's why the Premier League is the best league in the world. Its assisted by the best players, the best referees, the best coaches, and we've all got a duty to make sure the game's enhanced. The English style of refereeing is different; I had to referee differently when I went into Europe than I did in the Premier League because none of the top players in Europe would accept some of the physical contact that went on in the Premier League - but that was the theater, that's what people loved. They love a tackle, they don't want it punished.

Rog: You pride yourself on man-management, its a phrase that comes up in conversation with you over and over, talking to the players rather than cautioning them, as you've said, you occasionally famously called them "mate" on the field. How do the players react to that? Do they really want to reciprocate and get on with the referee?

Clats: Gotta know the right time, that what's experience. Some young referees will try to speak to players too much and players sometimes don't want them to speak. I remember refereeing Ashley Cole. Speaking to Ashley Cole at the wrong time when he was going through things with his head (garbled) doing some tactics. But there were good times to speak to Ashley Cole, when he was calm and he was ready to get on with. Speaking to the player at the wrong time can have a bad effect.

Podcast transcript with Clattenburg
Thanks for posting. Not sure where to begin with that. Perhaps his insistence that we would have surely got players sent off if he had actually refereed the game, rather than him booking players (from both sides) meaning that players, again from both sides, would have then adapted their behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom