The Mighty Spurs vs Woolwich Scum - Sunday NLD

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The problem with simplistic binary thinkers is that they cant see the shades between the two sides of the coin, and they totally ignore the fact that in the two seasons that Poch sides were both dominant and beautiful to watch from a footballing perspective- there were also other equally magnificent teams competing against us on bigger budgets and with far more expensive squads. I guess that was Poch's fault as well.

I wouldn’t consider Leicester to have a bigger budget or more expansive squad than what Poch had.

I am a Spanish madridista fan of Mou and Bale and my take on this is that Mou wasn't liked in the beginning in Madrid since we had a 100 years tradition of being the most gentleman club always playing offensively and dominating the games with courage and counterattack was sacrilege and the coaches would always be polite with the media, and etc.

Well, Mou was all the opposite. One who never kneel on the press even when in Spain they attacked him fiercely from the first day, he denounced all the corruption around Barcelona both in Europe and Spain, he made Real Madrid play like a small team, defensively, on counter attack, shamefully for us, and worst of all, he only got one league and one cup in three years. He was given longer time than any former coach without titles and still he wouldn't win more than that, which is terribly poor for a Real Madrid coach.

And still, half of the madridistas became loyal followers because we saw that what he did was right, he took the right decisions with tremendous personality and intelligence, he was our best executive while being just the coach (in Spain, coaches are not managers whatsoever), and most of all, he took a team that had been eliminated 6 years in a row in Europe in 1/8 finals and took it to 3 semifinals in a row, leading to 4 titles in 5 years with Ancelotti and Zidane, who we believe that could make it because he founded the basis with all the long needed changes and restructuring he made.

So me and many other madridistas following Tottenham this year we believe he can transform the Spurs into a big one or the best one if given time. Even if the league is won this year, he will do more than that if he has time, a more profound transformation of the club at managerial, financial, mentality and structural levels to make it big. Not only a title or two but much more than that.

I think Spurs could accept forgetting the beautiful game and becoming the bad guys playing defensively and counter attack for a while if they saw results and specially long term structural changes, not a lucky league in a lucky season and never again. For me it was terrible to see Real Madrid defending like rabbits on the holy Bernabéu in front of Barça, but in the long run I admit he made very big changes that brought a much bigger trophy with the 4 Cups of Europe. You now have the best 9 in the world as we had Cristiano and two or three very big players such as Son, Bale or Højbjerg and they could end up making history.

Just my thoughts.

I agree. We need to keep him for as long as we can. He could be our Ferguson or Wenger even.

Thats a really good point, now you mention that and I think about it thats pretty much what happened.
Fucking west spam, just another reason to add to the others I have for disliking those east end twats .....
He did the same in his 2nd stint at Chelsea. Open expansive football until we put 5 past them around new year, he totally shut up shop and won the league with 1/2-0 wins.

metro7.jpg

Took a sickie off work today and just re-watched the whole game - we were far more comfortable in that second half than I thought at the time. Honestly, we beat those shits without even trying that hard.

Last edited:
The only real debate about the game is how smug and condescending to be tomorrow towards the pitiful Goons.

Excellent controlled performance today. As many have observed, Jose is winning matches but there is clearly also something in our strategy around energy preservation. It’s clever stuff.

I know the football isn’t crazy free flowing, but I’m loving the tactical displays, the fight and energy, the breakaway counter attacking football, the goals, the results, the league table, the togetherness and just the passion and desire to win. It might not be for the neutrals but we’re not trying to put on a fucking opera so who gives a fuck: it’s utterly glorious for us right now.
Best bet is NOT to be smug at all.... 'cos that's what they'd be expecting, cos that's what THEY'D do!!
Besides, they'll probably already have the 2nd half stats tattooed on their arm to quote at you, claiming some kind of moral victory....

There's only one stat that matters though.... the one that starts with a '2' and ends in a '0'!

Took a sickie off work today and just re-watched the whole game - we were far more comfortable in that second half than I thought at the time. Honestly, we beat these shits without even trying that hard.
And this is what terrifies and infuriates their fans in equal measure.
We controlled the game almost entirely. If we had genuinely wanted to score a few more, I’ve no doubt we could have “upped the tempo”, put a couple more past them and just reverted back to the block (see United) but Jose admits he likes Arteta.
I find it quite exciting to have a team that is becoming so well drilled that we can go onto cruise control & coast along in games, saving valuable energy. We’d not got the hang of it when we played West Ham, but it sure as hell looks like it’s clicking now. If our players can coast along and soak up pressure at will, then it genuinely is every bit as impressive as winning/losing/drawing in end to end, high scoring games.
It’s an acquired taste (I hated it when Jose was mopping up trophies at Chelsea) but I admire it now. We look such a hard side to beat and are racking up an impressive goal difference as we coast along in what is still a very long season.

with his comments about Arsenals lack of kahuna's a couple of seasons ago, I do wonder if Troy is a Spurs man.
Very articulate lad actually for a footballer, sounds very knowledgeable without resorting to the usual clichés
He's a Birmingham City fan by all accounts... but his son is a Gooner....

He's probably just enjoying winding his Son up, cos he secretly hates him!!

And this is what terrifies and infuriates their fans in equal measure.
We controlled the game almost entirely. If we had genuinely wanted to score a few more, I’ve no doubt we could have “upped the tempo”, put a couple more past them and just reverted back to the block (see United) but Jose admits he likes Arteta.
I find it quite exciting to have a team that is becoming so well drilled that we can go onto cruise control & coast along in games, saving valuable energy. We’d not got the hang of it when we played West Ham, but it sure as hell looks like it’s clicking now. If our players can coast along and soak up pressure at will, then it genuinely is every bit as impressive as winning/losing/drawing in end to end, high scoring games.
It’s an acquired taste (I hated it when Jose was mopping up trophies at Chelsea) but I admire it now. We look such a hard side to beat and are racking up an impressive goal difference as we coast along in what is still a very long season.
As Jose said why go for another goal when we were so comfortable
Just like the ManC game we made them play a certain way which we could deal with

Took a sickie off work today and just re-watched the whole game - we were far more comfortable in that second half than I thought at the time. Honestly, we beat those shits without even trying that hard.
Jose said a fantastic thing in his interview.

''Yes, we could have been more expansive, been more attacking. But why? We were 2 up and comfortable. They weren't troubling us. Why give them the opportunity to get back in the game?''.

The more I listen to Jose, the more I understand the mentality of winning.

Jose said a fantastic thing in his interview.

''Yes, we could have been more expansive, been more attacking. But why? We were 2 up and comfortable. They weren't troubling us. Why give them the opportunity to get back in the game?''.

The more I listen to Jose, the more I understand the mentality of winning.

The difference between him and Pochettino mate. He’s on another level tactically. We loved Poch for what he did, but Pochettino took us as far as he could. Mourinho has taken over and is the man to get us the trophies we desperately need

Back
Top Bottom