The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur v Hull Kingston Rovers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The clean sheet was nothing to do with defending well, so no I dont see it as an improvement because Hull fluffed their lines. We would have been 6-0 down at half time against a top side defending like that.
You talk about defenders being shit at defending, but defending starts from the front.
Their first chance was because Bentaleb came off of Meyler to close Elhamoddy down with no chance of doing so and Meyler was able to go chasing a ball over the top that Fazio had to come over to clear leaving a gaping hole and Jelovic clear at the back post. Bentaleb should have been in front of Meyler. However, the pressing from our left of midfield is not happening so he comes out of position.
Jelovoc's second which hit the bar came from Bentaleb fucking up and letting Meyler nick the ball off him.
The overhead kick chance came about as Chadli was in the centre leaving Elhomaddy to have time -again- to get a centre in. Bentaleb let Meyler go again as he was preoccupied with trying to stop the cross from Elhamoddy, which Chadli should be doing. He crosses to the far post and Chadli is still on the D doing fuck all as the ball comes over to Elmohaddy again to get another cross in to Jelovic.

We have to learn to concentrate and defend as a unit, in our positions, when we have not got the ball.
Not the easiest thing to do when you have inverted wingers.
Chadil scores most of his goals fro the right coming in from the left, and Lamela likes to come into the centre to create.
We have to interchange accordingly.

We also suffer from a lack of an interjection of pace, i.e, Bentaleb, Eriksen & Kane. Mason makes the occasional burst but is not the fastest.
Maybe some different personnel or some more drilling. It seems to me MP seems to know who he thinks can do what he wants best in this squad.
Yet the team is obviously not the finished article.

However, before the season started 6th was totally acceptable.
Liverpool are the team who have fucked up. Liverpool have had massive investment and continuity in management and still not kicked on. Look at Everton too.
Man U have benefitted from no European football. However, they will be spending massively to cope with it next year.

Edit;
Just look t those last flurry of chances for Hull and watch Chadli closely.
Lamlea comes from the centre to the left to double up with Dier. The ball goes all the way over to the right and Chadli is not really anticipating, like he's not concentrating.
He mis controls Fazio's header but watch what he does from there. Lamella has to try and get a ball from a player that Chadli should not have wandered too far from or at least cut out the passing lane - Rose had Elhamoddy sorted - Lamela can't make it which leaves a nice gap to run into and that starts it all off. In fact he was lucky not to give them a penalty also.

Last edited:
tumblr_noge80KpXn1qg8kq9o1_500.jpg

All the respect to Dawson
The tribute to him from the fans and his acknowledgement of us was by far and away the best bit of yesterday.

I am probably someone you would be referring to as a "melt". But can i say that I have no problem with us finishing sixth, as that's where we should finish. I do have a major problem with how we achieved it. We've played shite a lot more than we've played well.

Apologies if im misinterpreting what you're saying, but surely if we played better then we did, we would finish higher then 6th, was anyone actually expecting us to be smashing people every week? or am i the only one who thinks that this has been a typical spurs season, ups and downs, shitty performances and good ones, we all knew it was coming and people like sammy seem to have gone full on emotional breakdown after every loss, like this still isn't Poch's squad, i try to be quite level headed and like to hold a little faith, yes poch's made some errors this year, but i think given time he could do it, that's my opinion, but surely if we done better then we had we'd finish higher then 6th, even though you said you expected 6th?

Apologies if im misinterpreting what you're saying, but surely if we played better then we did, we would finish higher then 6th, was anyone actually expecting us to be smashing people every week? or am i the only one who thinks that this has been a typical spurs season, ups and downs, shitty performances and good ones, we all knew it was coming and people like sammy seem to have gone full on emotional breakdown after every loss, like this still isn't Poch's squad, i try to be quite level headed and like to hold a little faith, yes poch's made some errors this year, but i think given time he could do it, that's my opinion, but surely if we done better then we had we'd finish higher then 6th, even though you said you expected 6th?
I did expect sixth, yes. That's a "par" finish. I had hoped for better, but maybe I was too expectant and pushing my luck.

It's the way we've played that's bothering me. I know we can't say "what if such and such had happened", but I'll go for it anyway. What about all those last minute wins? What if they'd not happened? Are you honestly saying we've played well this season, or do you just look at the league and think "that'll do"?

I also know that matches at this time of year don't carry so much meaning, but watching us lose to a very poor Villa, then watching Southampton tear them apart yesterday makes me wonder what if.....

We had a chance this year. Man U were shite for months, so we're Liverpool and Woolwich. We could have got top four, but we failed. And we played badly whilst failing. Just my opinion though.

I did expect sixth, yes. That's a "par" finish. I had hoped for better, but maybe I was too expectant and pushing my luck.

It's the way we've played that's bothering me. I know we can't say "what if such and such had happened", but I'll go for it anyway. What about all those last minute wins? What if they'd not happened? Are you honestly saying we've played well this season, or do you just look at the league and think "that'll do"?

I also know that matches at this time of year don't carry so much meaning, but watching us lose to a very poor Villa, then watching Southampton tear them apart yesterday makes me wonder what if.....

We had a chance this year. Man U were shite for months, so we're Liverpool and Woolwich. We could have got top four, but we failed. And we played badly whilst failing. Just my opinion though.

that's fine, everyone's got an opinion, i'm not here to cunt you off and have a bitchfest, and on the last minute wins, i agree partially, yes it could be seen as luck, but it could also be seen as maybe clutch, never say die sort of attitude, i mean man united made titles out of last minute winners and goals you never thought they'd get, like that's what makes good teams imho, even when it looks like a loss, just pulling something out the hat, there's been some amazing footballing teams over the years that always seem to fall short, sometimes football is just a game of luck and just getting that goal, and i agree the footballl in general has been lacking, but then i remember what i said previously this isn't poch's team, this is a bang average squad, total shite, but some of the players have been good under Poch, Chadli, Lamela has shown something past few games even though was shite for 80% of the season, but maybe this is a turning point for him, and players like mason, kane and bentaleb have come through, yes they have dodgy games, but you know that's football, some of the best players in the world have off days, even messi has that game where he doesn't play that well. Not comparing any of them to messi obviously, but still, keep the players who have shown something this season and keep them playing together and good things imho will happen, If after two years with a squad poch has made, it's still shit, i'll agree he's got to go, but one year in with an inherited squad of shit already, isn't enough to judge him, it's like giving someone dodgy tools and ones he's not used to and expecting him to do a cracking job of it, doesn't work, yes lots of bad football this season, but binning managers hasn't worked in the past, so why do it again, a little faith is all that's needed.

that's fine, everyone's got an opinion, i'm not here to cunt you off and have a bitchfest, and on the last minute wins, i agree partially, yes it could be seen as luck, but it could also be seen as maybe clutch, never say die sort of attitude, i mean man united made titles out of last minute winners and goals you never thought they'd get, like that's what makes good teams imho, even when it looks like a loss, just pulling something out the hat, there's been some amazing footballing teams over the years that always seem to fall short, sometimes football is just a game of luck and just getting that goal, and i agree the footballl in general has been lacking, but then i remember what i said previously this isn't poch's team, this is a bang average squad, total shite, but some of the players have been good under Poch, Chadli, Lamela has shown something past few games even though was shite for 80% of the season, but maybe this is a turning point for him, and players like mason, kane and bentaleb have come through, yes they have dodgy games, but you know that's football, some of the best players in the world have off days, even messi has that game where he doesn't play that well. Not comparing any of them to messi obviously, but still, keep the players who have shown something this season and keep them playing together and good things imho will happen, If after two years with a squad poch has made, it's still shit, i'll agree he's got to go, but one year in with an inherited squad of shit already, isn't enough to judge him, it's like giving someone dodgy tools and ones he's not used to and expecting him to do a cracking job of it, doesn't work, yes lots of bad football this season, but binning managers hasn't worked in the past, so why do it again, a little faith is all that's needed.
And I see very few on here that are calling for Poch to be sacked. What I, and a few others are asking of those with pure faith that he's the right man, is what are you seeing that makes him the right man?
I've not seen enough to convince me that he'll improve us much next season. But, like you I'd expect, I'm bored of sacking managers, so if we have another season of mediocre performances, then I'll put up with it. But Poch has a lot to prove to me.

No it wasn't much of a game and if Hull could actually finish, our faces would have been as red as Danny's hair!
Don't think I was aware that Huddz was actually playing until he was substituted and we sang his name, think it was louder than when we sang for our own players, same for Daws, too.
I always stay behind to see the lap of honour, and this year seemed a lot of people didn't bother, so it was all a bit 'meh'. Best bit was Brad's interview at half time!
PS -that was a bit of a surprise Harry winning both the Supporters' awards for Player of the Year - I thought that Paulie was a shoe-in :paulinhofacepalm:

I always stay behind to see the lap of honour, and this year seemed a lot of people didn't bother, so it was all a bit 'meh'.

Isn't it always a bit toe-curling unless we've actually got something to remember the season by??
Even in glorious Spursy 'almostness' like the one a couple of seasons back we beat Sunderland but missed out on CL 'cos someone in the East Stand boxes fucking jinxed us by telling us the wrong score at St James'.... and even though we all knew it would be Bale's last game, the atmosphere afterwards was fantastic on the LOH...

This one just felt like all the players wanted to do was to get their hands on that fucking selfie stick!

On football weekly they said apparently Everton joined in too as they walked past chucking bottles in

Yep, just read that an edited my posted as you replied! I sometimes drink around there after games, although not in those pubs. Those wild northerners.

Back
Top Bottom