The Newcastle Yo-Yos vs. Wembley Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The North East of England used to be seen as a nursery for football talent. Newcastle should have the pick of young players in the region. How come they produce so few players with prospects of a career either at Newcastle or somewhere else?

Yeah a scissor tackle isn't specifically a red card offence, but you can describe Kane's tackle with terms like; dangerous, reckless, out of control, etc. which are terms often used in the language of red card offences.

fwiw I do think scissor tackles should be a red card offence.

Kane's tackle was a good one which won the ball clearly

You're whinging about it because you're implying it might have affected the result of the game

We are a far superior side who didn't really get out of 1st gear and still easily beat you 2-0

Score flattered you and would have been the same if Uncle Fester had stayed on

I've met Geordie fans like you before and I really don't think you understand the game

Good luck in the Championship next season along with the Spam and, sadly, Brighton

Do you understand why Newcastle fans are unhappy with their owner? I cannot be bothered to list the litany of disasters that have occurred under his watch, but here's a taster; employing Dennis Wise, lying to Keegan, employing Kinnear (twice), employing then lying to Shearer, firing Hughton, hiring Pardew, failing to strengthen, overseeing 2 relegations, lying to Benitez... He's a car crash who'd be much happier owning a box at your gaff than he is owning us.

Do you understand why we're unhappy with Sissoko? He wanted a move to a bigger club, of course he did, totally makes sense. But play for the move like Ba did, don't whore yourself around, speaking of your love for another club while you're still supposed to be representing ours. Your own fans shower Campbell with opprobrium and rightly so. Of course we don't like Sissoko, he has ideas above his station (he's not good enough for you for a start) he could have kept us up had he bothered his arse for the season and he spent most of his time at Newcastle making kissy faces at Woolwich.

We don't have a DoF, but Wise was a disaster, signing players off the back of youtube videos, or as favours to agents.

I think we were quite joyful on your visit last season despite our relegation, and we were joyful for much of the Championship season too. I think when you say that we're "joyless", you mistake our frustration at the game on Sunday for some abiding gloomy atmosphere.

I can assure you, it's not the case. The flags before the game, the faith in Benitez, the players we actually like (Lascelles, Mitro, Perez, Hayden, Yedlin, Mbemba, Clark) rather than disrespectful mercenaries like Sissoko. There's a concern at the minute, Benitez was promised every penny he made to spend on players. Well, ยฃ30m from the previous summers business, ยฃ18m from this summer, plus the first tranche of Premier League money, and the increase revenue from the new (embarrassing) sponsor. We should be spending ยฃ50-70m =, will that be enough to ensure survival? Maybe, I think it makes more sense to buy additional players rather than gamble that those that brought you up can compete in the top flight. The former may cost ยฃ50m, the latter may cost ยฃ100m.

tl;dr Nah, we're happy as larry as long as Benitez gets backed, otherwise Ashley will be under renewed pressure to fuck off.

But he won't fuck off will he

He's already tried to sell up but no takers

Who would want to buy a club like Newcastle with fans like you?

You should be grateful he's still there instead of whining about the alleged mistakes he's made

You deserve managers like Pardew and I've never rated the Fat Waiter

Kane's tackle was a good one which won the ball clearly

You're whinging about it because you're implying it might have affected the result of the game

We are a far superior side who didn't really get out of 1st gear and still easily beat you 2-0

Score flattered you and would have been the same if Uncle Fester had stayed on

I've met Geordie fans like you before and I really don't think you understand the game

Good luck in the Championship next season along with the Spam and, sadly, Brighton
? I don't think you've read my posts then.

You're a much, much better side than we are. You have the heir apparent to Shearer's throne, you've a wonderful attacking midfielder, a conveyor belt of young talent and a very capable, likeable manager. We have a couple of decent players and a raft of footballers who should be improved upon if we are to survive and build. You should (and likely would) have beaten us comfortably even if our first choice line-up had remained on the pitch.

I expected a 2-1 loss before the game kicked off and when Dummett, Lejeune went off and Shelvey's idiocy saw our game plans go out the window there was only ever going to be one winner. We were clearly setup to frustrate, to deny you opportunities and space in our half, then try to hit you on the break through a busy Gayle and a lightning quick Atsu. That is a pragmatic approach for a newly promoted side to take when a title challenger comes to town.

Prior to the red we were holding our shape and were in the game, but could have come unstuck had one moment of quality pierced our compact defensive setup.

You're confusing me thinking scissor tackles should be red card offences, with me thinking we should have won (or not lost). That's not the case and was clearly not what my posts suggest.

I've met Spurs fans like you before, any criticism is met with incredulity and petulance and a clearly long held enmity for a club and it's fans, muddies the way you interact with them. Thankfully now that Spurs fans are seeing the benefit of a longer term plan that preciousness is becoming way less commonplace. Less discussions with fans of Everton, Newcastle or Aston Villa on the utterly pointless "Big Club" debate, less focus on what your North London neighbours are up to and more focus on celebrating your own progress.

But he won't fuck off will he

He's already tried to sell up but no takers

Who would want to buy a club like Newcastle with fans like you?

You should be grateful he's still there instead of whining about the alleged mistakes he's made

You deserve managers like Pardew and I've never rated the Fat Waiter

No, he won't not while he massively over values our club. There were plenty of interested parties, but all turned off by his ludicrous price tag.

Who would want a club like us? Well, we're a Premier League club with a large stadium that is well attended, we've a decent brand awareness in the UK and it's all right globally (not great, but over a decade of mismanagement will do that. We've impressive if not recent history and we've big potential. And when foreign investors are attracted to teams like Leicester, Hull, Bournemouth and so on, it's not unlikely that we'd be unattractive ourselves. It's only antagonism that would have someone say otherwise.

His mistakes are legion and he's admitted to them. He cost us our Premier League status twice. He lied to the fans and managers. He rebranded a famous old stadium to hawk his chav-tat store (and still covers the stadium in adverts without paying for that privilege, denying the club further funding). Ask yourself, would you want him making decisions about your club? A club he actually wants to do well?

Newcastle fans deserve what fans of every club deserves, an ambitious owner who puts the good of the club ahead first.

Your posts in reply to me seem boil down to this kernel; you don't like Newcastle United or Newcastle United fans. If that's the case, why bother replying to me? I'm sure other people on here couldn't give a toss?

The North East of England used to be seen as a nursery for football talent. Newcastle should have the pick of young players in the region. How come they produce so few players with prospects of a career either at Newcastle or somewhere else?
Over a decade of mismanagement of the academy and reserve teams. Plus while we have a huge amount of space to pool from, we don't have a large population. Half of our catchment area is the North Sea.

We are seeing some lads come through now, but we're not in a position to bring them through. Young Lewis Gibson moved to Everton for ยฃ6m this summer and under Ashley I can't see a situation where we'll give any promising young player his opportunity in the first team, if we can make money by selling him to a better run club.

To be fair to This Fish This Fish Fish. Mike Ashleys ownership of Newcastle is one of the biggest crimes in football. The guy is a scumbag and a crook.

Its comparable to what Lerner did to Villa. Although my understanding is that Villas predicament was down to recurrent gross incompetence rather than a desire to milk the club for all its worth year after year with the bare minimum of investment.

To be fair to This Fish This Fish Fish. Mike Ashleys ownership of Newcastle is one of the biggest crimes in football. The guy is a scumbag and a crook.

Its comparable to what Lerner did to Villa. Although my understanding is that Villas predicament was down to recurrent gross incompetence rather than a desire to milk the club for all its worth year after year with the bare minimum of investment.

The club is a farce.....fans hero worshipping Shearer while he took them into the champo, crap ownership, crap managerial appointments and worst of all was the outright lack of repsect for the badge by most of the players that keep taking them down

The club is a farce.....fans hero worshipping Shearer while he took them into the champo, crap ownership, crap managerial appointments and worst of all was the outright lack of repsect for the badge by most of the players that keep taking them down

Shearer's ill fated period as our manager has nothing to do with why he remains an icon on Tyneside. We honour him because of his career, not because of 8 games in the manager's seat. What kind of fickle arseholes would turn on a club legend because he inherited a shitstorm and couldn't, in his first ever stint as a coach, right a sinking ship.

We've had 2 decent managerial appointments since Sir Bobby Robson; Hughton and Benitez. One was a cheap option and the latter approached us.

We paid the price of a broken transfer policy, signing players purely for their potential resale value rather than how fit for purpose they were. If you sign a player on the promise he'll get a move to a bigger club he's not going to give two shits about Newcastle United. I look at the players we've had during Ashley's reign and wince. We could and should have been a much better positioned Premier League outfit.

Krul, Forster,
Debuchy, Janmaat,
Coloccini, Mbemba,
Enrique, Santon,
Tiote, Cabaye, Barton, Nolan,
Townsend, Jonas, Ben Arfa,
Ba, Carroll, Cisse, Remy

Not all quality, but prior to the ยฃ80m spent by McClaren all brought to the club on the cheap (or already here) and that lot should have been a good foundation, a good spine, to sustain a decade in the Premier League. Especially when you look at some of the clubs who've survived with much, much weaker squads. I'm looking at you, Sunderland.

It's so infuriating, I see the potential for Newcastle United, we could honestly have been cementing a top half spot instead of scrabbling for safety. Instead we buy cheap, sell the good ones and get lumbered with the shit, employ the wrong manager (until Benitez) and deservedly get roundly mocked by all and sundry.

Shearer's ill fated period as our manager has nothing to do with why he remains an icon on Tyneside. We honour him because of his career, not because of 8 games in the manager's seat. What kind of fickle arseholes would turn on a club legend because he inherited a shitstorm and couldn't, in his first ever stint as a coach, right a sinking ship.

We've had 2 decent managerial appointments since Sir Bobby Robson; Hughton and Benitez. One was a cheap option and the latter approached us.

We paid the price of a broken transfer policy, signing players purely for their potential resale value rather than how fit for purpose they were. If you sign a player on the promise he'll get a move to a bigger club he's not going to give two shits about Newcastle United. I look at the players we've had during Ashley's reign and wince. We could and should have been a much better positioned Premier League outfit.

Krul, Forster,
Debuchy, Janmaat,
Coloccini, Mbemba,
Enrique, Santon,
Tiote, Cabaye, Barton, Nolan,
Townsend, Jonas, Ben Arfa,
Ba, Carroll, Cisse, Remy

Not all quality, but prior to the ยฃ80m spent by McClaren all brought to the club on the cheap (or already here) and that lot should have been a good foundation, a good spine, to sustain a decade in the Premier League. Especially when you look at some of the clubs who've survived with much, much weaker squads. I'm looking at you, Sunderland.

It's so infuriating, I see the potential for Newcastle United, we could honestly have been cementing a top half spot instead of scrabbling for safety. Instead we buy cheap, sell the good ones and get lumbered with the shit, employ the wrong manager (until Benitez) and deservedly get roundly mocked by all and sundry.
What are your views on Shearer taking what, still to this day, amounts as one of the highest paid managers in world football? Do you think he did it for the love of the club, or did he do it for the money?

forgot you had McClaren - hahahah
I wish I could.

Weird thing is, I can't be too angry at him. He's an avuncular figure that was clearly out of his depth, but he shouldn't have been given the job. He should have been shown the door after the mauling by Chelsea, had that happened we might have stayed up, have an extra ยฃ100m in the bank and be looking to the future, rather than another season of nerves and anxiety.

What are your views on Shearer taking what, still to this day, amounts as one of the highest paid managers in world football? Do you think he did it for the love of the club, or did he do it for the money?
He wanted to keep us up, he loves the club and tried his best to keep us from the drop. He couldn't do it, which is no great shock. He thought he could keep us up, he thought that him and Ian Dowie could instill the commitment they showed in their careers. That's his ego, which is understandable level of self confidence given his playing career.

He wouldn't have done it for nothing though.

Think he's found his feet as a pundit now. Talks passionately and with some insight and a little humour. He'll never be one to pull apart the merits of zonal marking in any great depth, but that's what they're using Jenas and that generation of pundits for.

Plus he's a local lad who scored an incredible number of goals for us in what was, for the majority of his time, a poor side. So he's geet mint, cushty and fookin' class marra.

Back
Top Bottom