The Neymar Debate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All this talk about Neymar and I haven't seen anyone mention his 600 or 700k per weekly salary.

I don't fucking care how good he is or isn't, he's not worth that. Not even close. Neymar doesn't want to leave PSG because he knows it will be a stretch to earn even half as much elsewhere.

DGVMvRhXoAIkOq5

I think this is an astonishing lack of ambition by barca, who are clearly a selling club. One of their best players to champions league rivals......

On most measures of happiness, once you are free of the threat of starvation or war, there is very little correlation between money and how happy you are. Suicide rates are as high among the rich as the poor - yet modern society keeps trying to push the idea that material wealth = success at life.

I think wealth though is very important because of stress, you only have to known people in significant financial difficultly to see how much an emotional and sometimes physical toll it is on them.

Money gives you security and choice, that on its own doesn’t make happiness.

No worries. You are right about last season. I think he suffered a hangover of his heartbreak of having to leave Barca when he didn't want to. But I guess he's now more settled in Paris which has translated on the pitch. Poch must be fuming. He leaves and Messi turns up.

Messi didn’t not turn up last year. He knows mbappe is the star man there and has completely evolved into the creator role he now plays. His last few seasons at Barcelona he was gradually dropping deeper and dictating and now that is his only role. He will get goals here and there but his main aim/purpose is setting neymar and mbappe up now. The class act that he is, he doesn’t make a fuss about it at all.

That will be the difference between him and Ronaldo in the end. One quietly went about his business with no fuss, made amazing players world class players and the other was an egotistical maniac only worried about personal records.

Neymar can be considered the best player when he is playing in a proper league.

He played in the best league on the planet (when he was there La Liga was literally winning every UEFA competition) for years and was tearing it up. Whenever he plays big CL games he puts up incredible numbers. He's scored 74 goals for Brazil, including a whole bunch in major tournaments...

Football exists outside of England. If Neymar came here he'd take the piss most weeks.

Any reason to bring this bit on Sky Sports News by Matthew Syed

I was specifically thinking of that when I was writing.

Points out that the money is ill-gotten, that Chelsea is washed in literal blood-money extorted from the Russian people, and you've got panelists willing to say "but the fans don't care" and "he's put British football on the map!"

But, but, but, but, but, but.

It's shameful.

Back
Top Bottom