The Neymar Debate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Firstly, I think it's pretty clear he'd never come here. The wage demands would be disgusting & he's one of the biggest ego's in football. He'll only player for a super club.

But he gets disrespected a lot as a footballer, probably because personality wise he's not the most loveable, and going to PSG cost him the limelight. But when he's been able to play he's mostly been sensational.

His only big issue overall at PSG has been injuries. He'd be in ridiculous form scoring and assisting every game & tearing up CL games, and then get a big injury and miss the whole of the CL knockouts. Happened numerous times.
He's a very good player, hence the main slights are his character.

People are saying he's overrated but no one actually seems to rate him, so I'm not sure how that works.

Kind of like Woolwich fans calling Spurs fans gloryhunters then saying we win no trophies.

I've been reading through the transfer thread and the consensus is James Maddinson would improve us. But Neymar wouldn't. So they're saying James Maddison is better than Neymar. Which is quite funny.

He's a very good player, hence the main slights are his character.

People are saying he's overrated but no one actually seems to rate him, so I'm not sure how that works.

Kind of like Woolwich fans calling Spurs fans gloryhunters then saying we win no trophies.

I've been reading through the transfer thread and the consensus is James Maddinson would improve us. But Neymar wouldn't. So they're saying James Maddison is better than Neymar. Which is quite funny.

You can 100% tell some people don't actually watch him, they just base their opinions on him from cliches about his attitude. Apparently he doesn't work hard/press even though he was easily their best presser other than Di Maria for years.

Tuchel adored him and they had a great relationship, do Tuchel teams not press? He put in more effort than Mbappe most weeks, would Mbappe not be able to play for top sides?

Like I said .. injury record and ego are definite issues. But the invention that he's some lazy player who won't track back or w/e is just that, an invention.

Last edited:
Suarez was incredible for a few years, that final season at Liverpool is the best individual season I've seen from a player in the Premier League. Tried to drag them to a title on his back. Neymar seems to have had a bit more longevity though and his record for Brazil is pretty insane.
It's a crying shame that he's such a cheat though, although you can caveat that with the fact that he often gets kicked Black and Blue in games.

It's the diving and, even more comically, the rolling around that has him detested, he's effectively left people focussing on that rather than the wonderful talent that he has.

But when he's on his game, the guy is unplayable, hence the kickings he gets.

he plays for himself, doesn't tract back, doesn't press then it does nothing for us, typifies the anti-Conte player perfectly.

Just because he has talent doesn't mean he'll fit in our team

I find this a tad ironic seeing as you're so certain he'd improves us but ignoring very basic intangibles as to why he wouldn't fit in our team, your arguments are coming across pretty naive it has to be said.

Go on I dare you to find the post where I said that.

Time to put your big boy pants on...
Well, that was easy. Consider my big boy pants put on.

Messi didn’t not turn up last year. He knows mbappe is the star man there and has completely evolved into the creator role he now plays. His last few seasons at Barcelona he was gradually dropping deeper and dictating and now that is his only role. He will get goals here and there but his main aim/purpose is setting neymar and mbappe up now. The class act that he is, he doesn’t make a fuss about it at all.

That will be the difference between him and Ronaldo in the end. One quietly went about his business with no fuss, made amazing players world class players and the other was an egotistical maniac only worried about personal records.
Well ''turning up'' is relative.

What I mean is Poch didn't get best in the world Messi like Galtier currently is.

Yep, Messi's ''team before me'' mentality has always put him far above the likes of Ronaldo, Zlatan etc. in his generation.

Christ Almighty, is that what we're doing is it?

I think the problem here is your reading comprehension and basic understanding of critical thinking, not surprising since you literally made up the fact that people were calling him rubbish, I see the issue here...

Lol just admit you (once again) made yourself look an arse with dumb conclusions like he wouldn't improve us because he wouldn't run around everywhere.

One of the best players in the world & of his generation and wouldn't upgrade us because he doesn't track back ... unbelievable ball knowledge!

5D3DGdG.png

I believe it's something else entirely that few people seem to talk about.

It's unsustainable so long as such a club is expected to be self-supporting, absolutely. But Levy is increasingly the outlier; he sensibly believes that the business model should make sense in and of itself. There are only a couple of clubs whose internal revenue streams allow for such spending, and PSG is not one of them.

The petro-clubs and Chinese consortiums are playing a different game in my opinion. Russian and Arab owners probably aren't investing in clubs because they think it's a good and profitable business to get involved in, but because it serves several valuable and unique functions that aren't immediately apparent to Western businessmen.

Being a Russian, Middle Eastern, or even Chinese oligarch is a dangerous, high-stakes game, and these owners are perfectly aware of those stakes. Political purges and internal power struggles are common, and owning a football club seems to conveniently legitimize ill-gotten gains, and provides an enormous "rainy day" asset and safe-haven. They're investing abroad because their own countries are unstable and if it all falls apart they won't maintain any of the benefit of that investment anyways. To that effect, Chinese capital controls are very strict, and wealthy Chinese have to go to extreme lengths to funnel their money out of China, but conveniently buying businesses abroad is encouraged as a means of spreading influence and power.

If Roman Abramovich was purged by Putin tomorrow and his Russian assets confiscated then he would still have Chelsea, and the British Government would doubtlessly protect his interest. How much do you think he could fetch in selling Chelsea? The Forbes list currently values Chelsea at $1.85 billion.

If there was revolution in the U.A.E. and Sheikh Mansour found himself a Royal in exile, Forbes lists Man City as being worth $2 billion.

It's glorified money-washing, with millions of eager fans desperate to defend your ability to do so.

If I'm wrong, then all of this craters at some point and Tottenham Hotspur is left standing. If I'm right though, then we'll see spending continue to grow, because that's the whole point of it.

Great post. You might like this article Qatar, PSG and the real reason Neymar could sell for a record £198m

I'm not particularly familiar with the in's and out's of Spanish football. Why is it that Neymar paid his own release clause? Is this some sort of way to get around taxes? Why didn't PSG just pay it outright?
La Liga rules apparently say that only a player can pay a release clause, a club cannot. So PSG/PSG's owners paid it directly to Neymar, who then tried to pay it to La Liga for them to give it to Barca. La Liga said piss off, so Neymar then had to pay it himself directly to Braca at their offices.

Perfectly understandable why he went to PSG. In La Liga theres Ronaldo/Messi dominating every endrosement. Its not just the weekly wages, its the entire league/country that he can dominate from a marketing point of view. If he plays it well he will be a living legend by himself. No Zlatan no Messi no Ronaldo no nothing. Its his own lil playground. This is only about the money and power and absolutely nothing else.
I've always had the impression France is naturally more of a rugby country, tbh. Psg are younger than me.

I doubt he has the mental capacity to think about just walking away, leading a simple life on his fantastic wealth, out of the public eye. He wouldn't know what to do with himself - I suspect a lot of footballers/sportsmen would be the same - all they've done is play sport and compete.
If he's not been railroaded into the move by the greasy businessmen propping up PSG - then he needs to stop being a sap and deal with it.
In his position I'd either quit, play shit on a regular basis or feign injury if I was feeling that bad.
Cunt needs to speak to Bale to see how its done.

Neymar seems like a right spoilt bastard.
Kind of kid whod have the only decent leather football, and take it home when he was upset. You all know the kind.

The kind of kid who’d make up the third so you could play tip and run cricket, but would demand first bat. Then would stay in for hours and when you get him out would fuck off home

Yeah I know the kind, my mates hated it when I did that. Good times.

Back
Top Bottom