The Neymar Debate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apparently was spoken to by the ref at the weekend for trying to get past a couple of defenders with a rainbow flick. Ref told him to stop showing off and when Neymar argued, he was booked.

Now I know Neymar can be a cunt, but the referee scolding him for being good? Fuck that.
Heard it reported on American radio (station that covers exclusively world football) that when Neymar complained the ref not only booked him but told him to speak French.

Footballing wise he's a top-players, yes....but doing his customary blatant dive in a meaningless friendly: Yuk!

...but from this point of view, it actually looks like a penalty so I won't blame the ref...

I'd dispute that tbf...

In terms of viewing a "Top Player" through the lens of the Messi/Ronaldo era anyway.

As a forward 68 goals in 123 games at Barca, and then moving to the richest team in a farmer's league for his peak years, will always place an asterisk next to his name for me, and once he retires to go back to Brazil and live out his days shagging his sister, I doubt anybody is going to give him a second thought...

He's more hype than substance imo, and an irritating little cockwomble to boot...

I agree with the first part (if it hadn't been for all his injuries, Ronaldo would have been mentioned in the same category as Messi, Zidane, etc.) but Neymar is way better than Robinho (who ended up playing in China and Turkia).
To me he is in that category, he has made world class players look like fools, I loved watching him play. As for Neymar, I'm sure if he gets paid a shit ton he win end up playing in China too.

I absolutely despise this cunt and think he is disgustingly overated

Never scored more than 20 league goals in a season for PSG, taking all their penalties and playing against farmers

He’s a joke

Go look at his appearances vs goals/assists ... he's had bad injuries in Ligue 1. In 20 appearances he scored 19 and assisted 13.. most seasons he's like a couple of goals away from a goal a game and also has a bunch of assists.

In that time his goal to game in the CL has also been up there with the world's best, as well as being 3 off being Brazil's all time top scorer. He's been a sensational footballer, just flaky/injury prone.

He's a fuckboi.

Him and Pogba are the most overrated players in today's game.
He'd become a total distraction if we had him, sure he's great to watch but not a team player.
I said he'd improve us. No comment on his character.

We all say we are crying for a creative player to supplement our squad. He's very creative.

I'm not saying I want him, I'm saying he'd improve us massively. Guaranteed numbers.

When not injured he puts the numbers up.

One thing is for certain, he's better than Maddinson and people seem to be keen on him. A guy who has before said he hates Spurs. But Neymar is worse?

We all say we are crying for a creative player to supplement our squad. He's very creative.

I'm not saying I want him, I'm saying he'd improve us massively. Guaranteed numbers.

One thing is for certain, he's better than Maddinson and people seem to be keen on him. A guy who has before said he hates Spurs. But Neymar is worse?

Firstly, I think it's pretty clear he'd never come here. The wage demands would be disgusting & he's one of the biggest ego's in football. He'll only player for a super club.

But he gets disrespected a lot as a footballer, probably because personality wise he's not the most loveable, and going to PSG cost him the limelight. But when he's been able to play he's mostly been sensational.

His only big issue overall at PSG has been injuries. He'd be in ridiculous form scoring and assisting every game & tearing up CL games, and then get a big injury and miss the whole of the CL knockouts. Happened numerous times.

Well yeah on paper or on FIFA he proves us but if he plays for himself, doesn't tract back, doesn't press then it does nothing for us, typifies the anti-Conte player perfectly.

Just because he has talent doesn't mean he'll fit in our team, there's not many team nowadays who take players like Neymar purely because in this era we've moved on from carrying those sort of players and now require hard workers and grafters especially in the forward positions.

You can 100% tell some people don't actually watch him, they just base their opinions on him from cliches about his attitude. Apparently he doesn't work hard/press even though he was easily their best presser other than Di Maria for years.

Tuchel adored him and they had a great relationship, do Tuchel teams not press? He put in more effort than Mbappe most weeks, would Mbappe not be able to play for top sides?

Like I said .. injury record and ego are definite issues. But the invention that he's some lazy player who won't track back or w/e is just that, an invention.
Get their information on Twitter reviews.

Messi has never pressed in his life. He must be overrated.

Get their information on Twitter reviews.

Messi has never pressed in his life. He must be overrated.

I find this a tad ironic seeing as you're so certain he'd improves us but ignoring very basic intangibles as to why he wouldn't fit in our team, your arguments are coming across pretty naive it has to be said.

Indeed. But Neymar is better than Maddison.

I don't want Neymar but it appears people don't think he's a good player, which is pretty off the mark.

His histrionics are a nightmare, I agree.

But you better get used to it, we have Richarlison now. The new Taricco.

Neymar is better than Maddison but Maddison comes with far less baggage, Neymar's been at PSG for 5 years and hasn't even played 100 matches in the league yet, you can't rely on him - he's a sideshow, how can you build a team around that?

And no-one said he isn't a good player, cut the hyperbole, he obviously is, we are debating whether he would be a good fit for the team, for the manager - I'd argue he isn't.

It's a moot argument anyway, we're not signing fucking Neymar and Neymar isn't coming to us, time to stop dreaming.

Does anyone actually think we're signing Neymar? I thought it was just a discussion thread for him, obviously he's never coming to Spurs .. for about fifty different reasons. I know Andy Sinton Andy Sinton said he'd improve us massively, but I thought that was just a reaction to the silly 'he's not very good' talk going on more than actually expecting him to join.
Indeed. He's on 500k a week for starters.

It's a debate on his merit.

There's a thread on Messi too, but we aren't signing him either.

Does anyone actually think we're signing Neymar? I thought it was just a discussion thread for him, obviously he's never coming to Spurs .. for about fifty different reasons. I know Andy Sinton Andy Sinton said he'd improve us massively, but I thought that was just a reaction to the silly 'he's not very good' talk going on more than actually expecting him to join.

If we can't get Salah, I say go for it. :nunothumb:

Neymar's feud with Mbappe continues.

That clip of Mbappe giving up and abandoning his run is disgraceful. But PSG's problem is that the coach doesn't dare reprimand him, and neither do his teammates. Another clusterfuck of a club.

Keane or Souness would have headbutted Mbappe on the pitch.

Brian Cough or Fergie would have kicked him across the changing room.

That clip of Mbappe giving up and abandoning his run is disgraceful. But PSG's problem is that the coach doesn't dare reprimand him, and neither do his teammates. Another clusterfuck of a club.
It's because Mbappe is French, the face of French football, and playing for the biggest team in France.

When those dynamics are in place, a player is pretty much untouchable.

Statistics in a league where his team’s revenue, reflected in their squad makeup, is greater than the other nineteen teams combined, is utterly meaningless.
What would Bernardo Silva’s stats look like if City played in the Swedish League?

Lol, Ligue 1 is weaker than the Premier League but if you think scoring 5 goals & getting 6 assists in 3 games there is ‘meaningless’ then you’re kidding yourself, frankly.

Lots of top players have played there and not put up numbers like that. His record for Brazil is also exceptional & I bet when the CL rolls around he will be bagging too. He’s an incredible footballer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom