The Neymar Debate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not particularly familiar with the in's and out's of Spanish football. Why is it that Neymar paid his own release clause? Is this some sort of way to get around taxes? Why didn't PSG just pay it outright?
La Liga rules apparently say that only a player can pay a release clause, a club cannot. So PSG/PSG's owners paid it directly to Neymar, who then tried to pay it to La Liga for them to give it to Barca. La Liga said piss off, so Neymar then had to pay it himself directly to Braca at their offices.

Perfectly understandable why he went to PSG. In La Liga theres Ronaldo/Messi dominating every endrosement. Its not just the weekly wages, its the entire league/country that he can dominate from a marketing point of view. If he plays it well he will be a living legend by himself. No Zlatan no Messi no Ronaldo no nothing. Its his own lil playground. This is only about the money and power and absolutely nothing else.

La Liga rules apparently say that only a player can pay a release clause, a club cannot. So PSG/PSG's owners paid it directly to Neymar, who then tried to pay it to La Liga for them to give it to Barca. La Liga said piss off, so Neymar then had to pay it himself directly to Braca at their offices.

Guess it's just a difference in culture, but that just seems SO weird to me.

I think this is an astonishing lack of ambition by barca, who are clearly a selling club. One of their best players to champions league rivals......

Perfectly understandable why he went to PSG. In La Liga theres Ronaldo/Messi dominating every endrosement. Its not just the weekly wages, its the entire league/country that he can dominate from a marketing point of view. If he plays it well he will be a living legend by himself. No Zlatan no Messi no Ronaldo no nothing. Its his own lil playground. This is only about the money and power and absolutely nothing else.
I've always had the impression France is naturally more of a rugby country, tbh. Psg are younger than me.

Fed up of seeing all the pseudo-poetic bullshit about this move from Neymar and other parts of the press.

This is purely about fucking money, not a "fresh challenge" or personal journey of discovery

I've always had the impression France is naturally more of a rugby country, tbh. Psg are younger than me.
It might be a rugby country, but football is the one that has a higher market capital and is more popular with the younger generation. Give it a few months and Neymars face will be on every poster, waterbottle and sports/perfume shop in the country.

Fed up of seeing all the pseudo-poetic bullshit about this move from Neymar and other parts of the press.

This is purely about fucking money, not a "fresh challenge" or personal journey of discovery

Agree, of course it's about money. Hardly a challenge going to a league where you will probably only have half a dozen tough matches a season, much like he had in Spain.

I don't blame the player, good luck to him as money is his priority, but the sooner the current financial model of football collapses the better, it's lost touch with any reality and most supporters.

As for the rugby comparisons, I don't know which is bigger but the French elite league, the top 14, is the most lucrative league in world rugby and attracts top players who can earn good money, nowhere near football levels though. Dan carter was made the highest paid player when he signed for racing metro, reputed to be on 80k a month.

Crowd sizes in French rugby are generally high, with most clubs getting five figure attendances but that's dropping, probably due to the negative nature of the matches and the fact most French fans have been brought up on attacking free flowing play, this is reflected in the national team, who quite frankly are a bulked up lumbering team with no style or panache.

I would imagine that only PSG, Lyon, Marseilles and Bordeaux get higher crowds than the top rugby sides, a football league where PSG are dominant will not help a traditionally fickle fan base increase attendances

Football is pretty much unsustainable once you get above pub level.
When i was doing my apprenticeship in Ware in 1984,my manager was a referee assessor.He was telling me that Hertford Town players were on £50 a game back then.They are in the same league as Haringey Borough these days(were in a similar one back then).Now presuming the pay is similar at all the clubs and their wages have risen with inflation players at that level would be on £150/200 these days. Haringey's highest crowd last year was 141..How are they paying the wages? Even in they were still on £50,the money at the turnstiles wouldn't come close(the crowds wouldn't even pay £20 a player a game.Most of the season tickets are free and not many pay on the day)
It gets more ridiculous the higher you get in football.
I genuinely believe it will explode at some point. Trouble is,it wont be one of the guilty clubs that go under.

"Not moving for the money"

giphy.webp

Football is pretty much unsustainable once you get above pub level.
When i was doing my apprenticeship in Ware in 1984,my manager was a referee assessor.He was telling me that Hertford Town players were on £50 a game back then.They are in the same league as Haringey Borough these days(were in a similar one back then).Now presuming the pay is similar at all the clubs and their wages have risen with inflation players at that level would be on £150/200 these days. Haringey's highest crowd last year was 141..How are they paying the wages? Even in they were still on £50,the money at the turnstiles wouldn't come close(the crowds wouldn't even pay £20 a player a game.Most of the season tickets are free and not many pay on the day)
It gets more ridiculous the higher you get in football.
I genuinely believe it will explode at some point. Trouble is,it wont be one of the guilty clubs that go under.
TV deals and corporate sponsorship cover it at the highest levels, so it's sustainable there. Look at clubs like Man United, they got $600 million just to put the fucking Chevy logo on their shirts. Ticket revenue is just a nice bonus for the really big clubs, they don't depend on it.

It's a nonsense how much money do you need if your at that level? Normal guys or jobbing footballers yes they have one chance of a big pay day if good enough Neymar and plenty others are obscenely rich in the first place! You could hardly say PSG are a big name in world football other than 3 years ago people will get bored if they aren't already! If it wasn't for Tottenham being in the champions league a couldn't care a stuff about it rather they won the league or the F.A Cup keep it real

Neymar: "There are no easy games here."

PSG wins last season:
0-6 v Caen
5-0 v Lorient
7-0 v Bastia
1-5 v Marseille
0-5 v Saint-Etienne
:adethumbup:

People always say the same about the premier league though, just another football cliche which is total bollocks. But acceptable to say by pundits and players alike.

Our win against "the champions" was particularly one sided.

Back
Top Bottom