The Non League Football Thread ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

SpiderSpurs

Supporter
🪃🦘 Bonza!! 🦘🪃
Do any of you follow non league football at all? Go down the local club when Spurs are away and you can't go or it's an international break? Interested to know which teams you follow, if you do.

I'm a life member of Wealdstone, but haven't been to see them for a couple of years sadly. Always a great day with fierce support. I can remember an away game at Harrow Borough where the Wealdstone away support outnumbered the Borough home support!! :wansum:

So any fellow non leaguers?

(I did look for a non league thread, but there had been no posts on it for 3 years, so started this one)

Last edited:
Kids football - my son plays Saturday league for our town club and Sunday for Hythe Town in the Kent Youth League so that keeps me busy with training on 3 times a week also between the 2 clubs at the moment. I hate it when there is no football but I did enjoy our summer break this year. This morning we should have had a preseason friendly that had been arranged since May and the other side cancelled literally as we were about to head out as they didn't have enough players.

Keep my eye put for Barnet's results. Went a lot as a kid, non league and league. Stopped once I got a spurs season ticket in 2004. Haven't been since they moved to the new ground. Seem to well equipped to spend too long in the conference but can't spend enough to stay in the football league.

st albans city 2-0 dartford.
the saints finally discovered the noble art of passing to their own team mates. it may catch on...

Last edited:
We’ve definitely had threads on this subject before but, in any case, I do like a bit of non league football and I’m a life member at Lewes FC, although I don’t live in Sussex any more so can’t get to many games.

My local side now is Walton & Hersham, who used to be a top non league side getting crowds in the thousands but have slowly fallen to the brink of extinction with crowds of around 50, thanks to the local council and apathy from the area - as well as Walton Casuals rising aggressively with new money.

Tenuous linking to us: W&H were kicked out of their historical home - also a “Lane” - last season. They also played an immense friendly against us in 1965 with Greaves, Jones, Jennings, Gilzean, Mullery etc. Long before stupid tours to the US and beyond.

Non league football should be supported better by the football community, especially the FA and local councils, as well as by professional league clubs. They do wonders developing kids and getting people into sport.

Always had a soft spot for Hereford United when they was a league club. Since they went out of business I've kind of followed the rise of phoenix club Hereford FC

edit: This was John Motsons first ever commentary versus Newcastle
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFV-bnqB9HY&ved=2ahUKEwjVpMnMvK7dAhVIDMAKHUg6A6IQwqsBMAJ6BAgJEAg&usg=AOvVaw25pxDRE3kFNLW5qBMJof4J

What a game for Motty to get for his debut
My hometown. Have followed them on the side for most of my life. When the ground's 10 minutes from home it'd be a shame not to.

The reformed club have reached their level this season I think. The National League North is going to be a tough league to get promoted from. Would've stood a better chance in the South, for a number of reasons. Slightly lower standard, and better geographically with where Hereford actually is so recruitment would be easier. It's hard to find part time players who have other jobs that allow them to travel 150+ miles each way on a Tuesday night.

My hometown. Have followed them on the side for most of my life. When the ground's 10 minutes from home it'd be a shame not to.

The reformed club have reached their level this season I think. The National League North is going to be a tough league to get promoted from. Would've stood a better chance in the South, for a number of reasons. Slightly lower standard, and better geographically with where Hereford actually is so recruitment would be easier. It's hard to find part time players who have other jobs that allow them to travel 150+ miles each way on a Tuesday night.
I'm surprised they're still part time tbh. There are lesser supported clubs at that level that are full time.
I was surprised to see them placed in the northern section. And how do Brackley get in the north. Go much further south you'd be in the English Channel.
Edit: I could be thinking of Bracknell actually

I'm surprised they're still part time tbh. There are lesser supported clubs at that level that are full time.
I was surprised to see them placed in the northern section. And how do Brackley get in the north. Go much further south you'd be in the English Channel.
Edit: I could be thinking of Bracknell actually
The current board are extremely cautious with the budget, and I can’t see them being willing to go full time anytime soon. Being in the northern section is a bitch, but there’s just so many southern teams at that level. Hereford always seems to fall on the boundary when it comes to things like this. Could be a bit of flitting between north and south if promotion doesn’t come in the next few years

Canvey Island FC... Normally get along for a few home games each season.

Crap football, but it's walking distance from my folks house so me and pops go once in a while.

Been meaning to do it since I moved to Newcastle, but I finally went to see a Gateshead FC game a few weeks ago. They beat those Salford bastards, which was nice.

Not non-league, but I'm going to Dublin for me birthday next month and will be catching Shamrock Rovers v Cork City while I'm there. Not a fan of either team, but I like going to a football match when I go abroad if possible. Fortunately my missus enjoys doing it as well. Going to see an Icelandic league game was a right laugh.

Kids football - my son plays Saturday league for our town club and Sunday for Hythe Town in the Kent Youth League so that keeps me busy with training on 3 times a week also between the 2 clubs at the moment. I hate it when there is no football but I did enjoy our summer break this year. This morning we should have had a preseason friendly that had been arranged since May and the other side cancelled literally as we were about to head out as they didn't have enough players.

Fellow Kentonian :dierpochhug:

I follow Ashford United when I have a bored weekend, it's a good laugh going with your mates to the local side, not exactly cheap though at £10 through the gates for what is basically glorified Sunday league.

Been meaning to do it since I moved to Newcastle, but I finally went to see a Gateshead FC game a few weeks ago. They beat those Salford bastards, which was nice.

Not non-league, but I'm going to Dublin for me birthday next month and will be catching Shamrock Rovers v Cork City while I'm there. Not a fan of either team, but I like going to a football match when I go abroad if possible. Fortunately my missus enjoys doing it as well. Going to see an Icelandic league game was a right laugh.
True story went to the spurs shamrock rovers match a few years ago and a chap behind me genuinely asked.

'where is shamrock anyway?'

I literally watch any football, if I'm being honest I can get into any sport.

Quite often i'll just be walking through a park and will see a kids game on and watch for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom