The Non League Football Thread ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Notts County looking pretty brutal at the moment. Wrexham hanging on in second. Season starting to look a bit like last year.

It’s also pretty shocking seeing so many formerly traditional league teams struggling in non league. Oldham, Torquay, Yeovil, Scunthorpe etc. Clearly a very competitive league, and not one you want to fall down into.
The single automatic promotion place, is an absolute killer.

Notts County dropped another two points, at Southend. That's two draws in a row.

They have a tough game against their bogey team, Eastleigh, on Saturday.

Wrexham could sneak back in front tomorrow, as long as they don't put in a typical Wrexham away performance.

Bloody forrins!!

welcome-to-wrexham-sign-large.jpg

My cousin was moved to wales from London and subsequently went to school there as a youngster.

He regards being taught Welsh as one of the biggest waste of time a child can be subjected to. Absolutely useless!
That happened to me in school. We were taught it from '74 until '77. It was an hour a week & not a single one of us took any of it in. The only word that I can remember is, tŷ. Which I believe means, house.

All sounds a bit strange over at York.

York City have sacked manager John Askey after a year in charge of the National League club.

Askey, 58, was appointed on a short-term deal following the sacking of Steve Watson in November 2021 when the club were in the National League North.
After being named permanent boss in March, he led them to promotion to the National League through the play-offs.

York City Statement
As mentioned in our earlier statement, the club board recognises that some fans will not support or fully understand the termination of John Askey’s contract. As such, the board wishes to clarify some of the reasons why we reached this difficult decision.

On 3rd November, John reached out to directors Alastair Smith and Mike Brown to express his unhappiness in his role at the football club. He went on to explain that he didn’t wish to remain at the club but was not in a position to resign due to his personal circumstances.

Both directors expressed their desire to retain John as manager, find solutions to improve lines of communication and working practices within the club. John indicated that he felt there were no possible solutions or remedies.

Prior to these discussions, the board had invited John to a meeting to discuss budgets and the club’s wider finances, but unfortunately John cancelled the meeting at short notice. We felt that this had been a prime opportunity to improve understanding and build a better working relationship with John with the ultimate aim of improving performance.

Given John’s desire to leave the club and his belief that the situation was irretrievable, after seeking legal advice, the board unanimously agreed that it was in everyone’s best interest to part company with John. We believe that presented with such circumstances any business would have reached a similar conclusion.

The board recognise the huge support and love for John amongst supporters following his success last season. We share those emotions which meant that we could not take this decision lightly and made every effort to avoid having to make it. Sometimes things happen behind the scenes of many football clubs that require the board to make difficult decisions.

We hope that this goes some way to help supporters understand our decision and that everyone gets behind the squad this Saturday.

Claims he never wanted to leave
Askey claimed this was a misinterpretation of a conversation two days after Henderson spoke to Radio York about "spats" between them
“It got to a stage where I said that ‘I can’t work with a chairman who is doing this all the time’," a tearful Askey told the station hours after his dismissal.
“I didn’t say I wanted to leave."

Of course they play Wealdstone on Saturday!
They've clearly fallen out, big time.

Back
Top Bottom