The Norwich away match thread 30/1/13

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Bale was playing on the left wing.........he would not have scored that goal. you can bank on that.

AVB moved him into a centralized role in that 2nd half next to Defore which worked very well
I agree that he looked good in a central role for the beginning of the second half, but I think that that was more because he was linking up play with our midfield (something Dempsey would not do) and that allowed our whole team to play better and more fluidly as a whole.

But did you not read what I said? The goal came after Holtby came on. When Holtby did come on, bale moved back out wide and Holtby played centrally. I know that he was playing on the wing (I believe the right side and Lennon was on the left, though it could be the other way around) and he drifted inside when we won the ball. Defoe dropped deep to receive the ball from Holtby, and Bale drifted inside to fill Defoe's position becuase of it and Defoe sent him on the run. I know for a fact that he wasn't in the middle because that was where Holtby was playing the entire time he was in.

I like it when Bale mixes it up, I just don't think he should be only sticking to the wing, or only playing through the middle. Too often he only does one or the other. He needs to develop that situational awareness to determine when cutting in will be putting the opposition on the back foot, and when he's just compressing them to defend deeper.

When he's counter-attacking and they're on their back foot, he needs to cut in for the killer blow. When they're defending, he needs to pull out wide to draw them out. If they're double covering him then we'll be able to take advantage of that, in effect putting them a man down in the box. When he cuts in in those situations it doesn't help himself, or anyone else.

Alrighty, giving this another go

Bale on the left in the first half......isolated and tactically defended
zOpVHRQ.png

Bale moved to a more centralized attacking role in the 2nd half
A2VaO5M.png

Are you thinking what Im thinking ?

I agree that he looked good in a central role for the beginning of the second half, but I think that that was more because he was linking up play with our midfield (something Dempsey would not do) and that allowed our whole team to play better and more fluidly as a whole.

But did you not read what I said? The goal came after Holtby came on. When Holtby did come on, bale moved back out wide and Holtby played centrally. I know that he was playing on the wing (I believe the right side and Lennon was on the left, though it could be the other way around) and he drifted inside when we won the ball. Defoe dropped deep to receive the ball from Holtby, and Bale drifted inside to fill Defoe's position becuase of it and Defoe sent him on the run. I know for a fact that he wasn't in the middle because that was where Holtby was playing the entire time he was in.

Come on man.........that goal had nothing to do w/ Holtby. Bale got the ball in the Spurs half and went riot on that shit...........

Either way, the more of a centralized role he plays, the more scoring chances he will get..........Start him in a centralized role and he can roam.

Give me him zero defensive responsibilities.........He obviously doesn't want to defend anymore and rarely tracks back like he used to...........

He has a nose for that goal.......let him evolve. IMO

I like it when Bale mixes it up, I just don't think he should be only sticking to the wing, or only playing through the middle. Too often he only does one or the other. He needs to develop that situational awareness to determine when cutting in will be putting the opposition on the back foot, and when he's just compressing them to defend deeper.

When he's counter-attacking and they're on their back foot, he needs to cut in for the killer blow. When they're defending, he needs to pull out wide to draw them out. If they're double covering him then we'll be able to take advantage of that, in effect putting them a man down in the box. When he cuts in in those situations it doesn't help himself, or anyone else.

I completely agree...........Let him roam. he is best utilized in that fashion.

But starting him in a centralized role and make sure his responsibility is creating scoring chances in front of the net via his shooting (not his crossing)....

Have a true MFer on that wing who will actually track back and help the LWB.........You notice Bale's propensity to do this anymore ? Its very sup-par.

Alrighty, giving this another go

Bale on the left in the first half......isolated and tactically defended
zOpVHRQ.png

Bale moved to a more centralized attacking role in the 2nd half
A2VaO5M.png

Are you thinking what Im thinking ?
Alright man, are you reading my comment? I said that yes, Bale played well in a central midfield position while he played there in the second half. I will spell out the rest for you though. He played behind Defoe from minute 45 to minute 71. At minute 71, Lewis Holtby came on for Clint Dempsey. At that point, Bale played out wide, switching with Lennon at certain points I believe, while Holtby played CAM.

Here is a diagram of the second half line-up before Holtby:
-----------------------Lloris----------------------
Walker-----Dawson---Vertonghen------B.A.E
-----------Dembele----------Parker---------------
---Lennon------------Bale------------Dempsey---
------------------------Defoe-------------------------

Here is the second half line-up after Holtby:
---Bale/Lennon-----Holtby----------Bale/Lennon

Notice on your diagrams, how Bale made some passes from the right side? That was most likely somewhere between the 71-80 minute, sometime after Holtby came on. He switched with Lennon right before the counter attack and played there a little bit when Lennon was replaced by Gylfi.

As for the goal. The goal came from a quick counter-attack. I forget who won the ball back, but I believe they passed it quickly to Holtby (unless Holtby won it back himself, my memory fails me here). Defoe then drops deep to support Holtby as Bale drifted inside to fill the huge hole left by Defoe as he dropped deep. Defoe receives the ball from Holtby, then passes it to Gareth, who just drifted inside to fill Defoe's spot. Gareth then goes on his amazing run and scores.

I know he played centrally for a lot of the second half, but that changed when Holtby came on. Bale's goal came after Holtby came on. I don't know if I can get any clearer than this.

Alright man, are you reading my comment? I said that yes, Bale played well in a central midfield position while he played there in the second half. I will spell out the rest for you though. He played behind Defoe from minute 45 to minute 71. At minute 71, Lewis Holtby came on for Clint Dempsey. At that point, Bale played out wide, switching with Lennon at certain points I believe, while Holtby played CAM.

Here is a diagram of the second half line-up before Holtby:
---Lennon------------Bale------------Dempsey---

Here is the second half line-up after Holtby:
---Bale/Lennon-----Holtby----------Bale/Lennon

Notice on your diagrams, how Bale made some passes from the right side? That was most likely somewhere between the 71-80 minute, sometime after Holtby came on. He switched with Lennon right before the counter attack and played there a little bit when Lennon was replaced by Gylfi.

As for the goal. The goal came from a quick counter-attack. I forget who won the ball back, but I believe they passed it quickly to Holtby (unless Holtby won it back himself, my memory fails me here). Defoe then drops deep to support Holtby as Bale drifted inside to fill the huge hole left by Defoe as he dropped deep. Defoe receives the ball from Holtby, then passes it to Gareth, who just drifted inside to fill Defoe's spot. Gareth then goes on his amazing run and scores.

I know he played centrally for a lot of the second half, but that changed when Holtby came on. Bale's goal came after Holtby came on. I don't know if I can get any clearer than this.

I see what your saying.........trust me bro

I'm only pointing out, all of his activity of productivity came in his role in a centralized location.........Yes, he would drift out at times, but he was playing in that 2nd striker role........In front of both Dempsey and then Holtby (who replaced Dempsey)

I see what your saying.........trust me bro

I'm only pointing out, all of his activity of productivity came in his role in a centralized location.........Yes, he would drift out at times, but he was playing in that 2nd striker role........In front of both Dempsey and then Holtby (who replaced Dempsey)
Ah, see this is where we disagree, when Holtby came on, Bale didn't start centrally and drift out wide, he started wide and drifted in to the center :defoe2:

I do agree that most of his production came from the center. He was exactly what we needed after half-time linking up play. However, in the center, he isn't able to go on his dangerous runs, which he really didn't do while playing behind Defoe. He still played great centrally, I don't don't believe he look like a goal scoring threat in that position, he was marked way too easily. The thing I like about him playing wide is that he is able to drift inside when the time is right without being marked easily, which I believe is what happened in the build up to his goal.

Seen multiple people saying Lloris was shit today. Not a clue what that was about.
I think he had another solid game, although he was at fault for Norwich's goal. Schoolboy error I'm afraid. He was ball watching as the ball was floated in from the right, as a result didn't leave himself with many options as far as getting into a position to save eventual goal scoring shot. I'd imagine that a lot of people will remember this over the other 89 and a half minutes that he did well.
If Syggi had scored at the death I think Lloris wouldn't have received as much stick. Hate to say it, because I do rate the guy, but I think we could have been on the end of a defeat had Brad started.
Lloris is defo more polished, just needs to build a better understanding with his defence, in terms of position.
Onwards and upwards.

Defoe's abject form, Parker taking a while to get up to speed (something we just can't afford), Dempsey is still pony and Walker had a brief spell where he looked to have improved only to regress again.

We can carry a player or two but not four.

Defoe is reaffirming my belief that he is a top 10 player and not a top 4 player - if we don't sign a striker it won't be negligent it will be a lack of ambition.

I think he had another solid game, although he was at fault for Norwich's goal. Schoolboy error I'm afraid. He was ball watching as the ball was floated in from the right, as a result didn't leave himself with many options as far as getting into a position to save eventual goal scoring shot. I'd imagine that a lot of people will remember this over the other 89 and a half minutes that he did well.
If Syggi had scored at the death I think Lloris wouldn't have received as much stick. Hate to say it, because I do rate the guy, but I think we could have been on the end of a defeat had Brad started.
Lloris is defo more polished, just needs to build a better understanding with his defence, in terms of position.
Onwards and upwards.

Thought the wind played a bit of a part, was difficult to judge the flight of the ball.

Back
Top Bottom