The offside rule

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wenger is pushing for a new offside rule as part of his new role within Fifa.

The new role would mean that for a player to offside you would have to have your entire body in front of the defender. If you have a foot, elbow, shoulder etc behind the defensive line you would still be classed as on side.

I'm.......Kinda okay with that.

I think it should probably be called if both feet are beyond the last defender.

That's a clear advantage on the attackers part.

Graham Souness was saying on tv yesterday that he thinks the law should be that the attacker has to have a single part of the body onside. You would still get the marginal calls but it would make it easier to see and would lead to more goals being scored/not disallowed.

Whether it is shoulder, foot, armpit is irrelevant to me. I think how they determine the exact time the ball leaves the boot is inaccurate because the ball depresses depending on how hard the pass. When they showed Pukki’s disallowed goal for instance the ball leaving the boot was even blurred. For this reason they should give a 10 cm measure ‘benefit in favour of the attacker’.

A lot of people have been disagreeing with that over the last few days.

And the whole basis for that disagreement is over the belief that the one of the factors of the offside rule is whether it's a body part you can score with and that has caused the confusion when in fact there is no mention of that in the rules that I can see.

If I am mistaken and there is a specific reference to the illegality of scoring with your hand or arm as being the reason for its inclusion in determining whether a player is offside then please show me where it is because I can't see any reference to it at all.
If they are disagreeing they are wrong... Armpit is not your arm or hand

The confusion is not knowing the rules... Armpit is ok, shoulder is OK you are allowed to score with these body parts

You can’t score with your armpit because that would mean the ball had made contact with your upper arm. The shoulder is a different part of one’s anatomy. You can’t run up the pitch with the ball under your armpit, that’s ridiculous.

I think it should probably be called if both feet are beyond the last defender.

That's a clear advantage on the attackers part.

Its all got a bit silly with var!.. lets just recall before var and microscopic reviews the rule was if the bodymass /torso of the attacking player was level he's onside with the benefit of the doubt given to the offensive player to promote attacking football.

Since var and the reviews of referees decisions it seems the benefit of the doubt has been reversed with hands, beards, toes now seen as forward of the 2nd last defender and now given as offside...
Ridiculous .
I much prefer the ref and lino being the judges rather than a referee at stockley park watching multiple tv screens delaying the game and still getting the vast majority of the most important
decisions wrong...overall just another posh version of human error made for tv.

Last edited:
Wenger is pushing for a new offside rule as part of his new role within Fifa.

The new role would mean that for a player to offside you would have to have your entire body in front of the defender. If you have a foot, elbow, shoulder etc behind the defensive line you would still be classed as on side.

I'm.......Kinda okay with that.
This will lead to attackers hanging their arms as far back as possible when breaking forward. This will look odd as fuck

just make it feet. No extrapolating down

I also believe when you look across the line be it defender or attacker youre looking where your opponent is standing (as opposed to leaning ) so if footballers play offside by stepping up or staying on by timing a run

then measure the line by where the feet are planted

simple effective fair hard to argue with

Sorry if this sounds a stupid question...

I hear a lot being said about the rules saying that you are offside if a part of your body you can score with is ahead of the second to last defender but I've checked the rules and, unless I'm missing something, there is no specific mention of this.

It says instead that a player's hand or arm does not count as part of their body when judging if the player is ahead of the defender.

My interpretation of the inclusion of that phrase is not because it is illegal to score with either the hand or arm but because they are the parts of the body that naturally extend furthest forward when a player is active.

So a player may be pointing to show where he wants the ball as it is being played and that he shouldn't be penalised for doing so if that is what has caused him to be ahead of the defender.

Back
Top Bottom