The offside rule

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I personally believe that off-side should be determined by the placement of the feet. A striker should be allowed to hang off the back of a defender. The current rule practically rules that out.

And also, that bullshit measuring tool should be dropped. It should be visual analysis only.

I think it should probably be called if both feet are beyond the last defender.

That's a clear advantage on the attackers part.

Whether it is shoulder, foot, armpit is irrelevant to me. I think how they determine the exact time the ball leaves the boot is inaccurate because the ball depresses depending on how hard the pass. When they showed Pukki’s disallowed goal for instance the ball leaving the boot was even blurred. For this reason they should give a 10 cm measure ‘benefit in favour of the attacker’.

Its all got a bit silly with var!.. lets just recall before var and microscopic reviews the rule was if the bodymass /torso of the attacking player was level he's onside with the benefit of the doubt given to the offensive player to promote attacking football.

Since var and the reviews of referees decisions it seems the benefit of the doubt has been reversed with hands, beards, toes now seen as forward of the 2nd last defender and now given as offside...
Ridiculous .
I much prefer the ref and lino being the judges rather than a referee at stockley park watching multiple tv screens delaying the game and still getting the vast majority of the most important
decisions wrong...overall just another posh version of human error made for tv.

Last edited:
I think it should probably be called if both feet are beyond the last defender.

That's a clear advantage on the attackers part.

Graham Souness was saying on tv yesterday that he thinks the law should be that the attacker has to have a single part of the body onside. You would still get the marginal calls but it would make it easier to see and would lead to more goals being scored/not disallowed.

before var and microscopic reviews the rule was if the bodymass /torso of the attacking player was level he's onside with the benefit of the doubt given to the offensive player to promote attacking football.
Giving the attacker the benefit was ditched a few years ago, it was only a season or two that it was a thing.

It should be a rule but wasn't before Var

Wenger is pushing for a new offside rule as part of his new role within Fifa.

The new role would mean that for a player to offside you would have to have your entire body in front of the defender. If you have a foot, elbow, shoulder etc behind the defensive line you would still be classed as on side.

I'm.......Kinda okay with that.

Wenger is pushing for a new offside rule as part of his new role within Fifa.

The new role would mean that for a player to offside you would have to have your entire body in front of the defender. If you have a foot, elbow, shoulder etc behind the defensive line you would still be classed as on side.

I'm.......Kinda okay with that.
This will lead to attackers hanging their arms as far back as possible when breaking forward. This will look odd as fuck

just make it feet. No extrapolating down

I also believe when you look across the line be it defender or attacker youre looking where your opponent is standing (as opposed to leaning ) so if footballers play offside by stepping up or staying on by timing a run

then measure the line by where the feet are planted

simple effective fair hard to argue with

This new rule could use a practical test before full on implementing. FIFA would like it to be in effect at the Euros so maybe trial it in the nations league before hand?

The whole situation is a frustration. The issue is not the rule and which body parts do or do not count. It is the ability to be able to judge the decision down to the smallest margin. This has been brought about by Sky and the other TV companies highlighting incorrect decisions using their multiple camera angles and technology before VAR was introduced. It put pressure on the game to utilise the technology and get the decisions “right”. I am not saying they all are because I do not think it is flawless (definition on when the ball was struck, are the measurements accurate enough on the video frames to be able to give a decision based on cm’s etc).

The attackers are just pushing the boundaries to beat offside and that will always be the case no matter if it is the furthest forward body part, the furthest back, feet in line etc. They will just time their run so that the part which needs to be behind the defender will be there at the correct time. The same measurements will be taken but just against a different body part and/or alignment.

May be I am just missing the point but I do not see how changing the part of the anatomy or where it should be in relation to the 2nd last opposition will change anything while the technology is being used to measure it.

The focus should be on the technology used and defining when a ball is stuck and the margin allowed in the measurements. The margin can be defined by using a line of a certain thickness aligned centrally with the area being measured and any cross over is deemed as onside. Although, I think this is how it is done now. Once this is agreed, there can not be any argument with it. If you are measured as being offside by VAR, you are offside. It should be a straight forward decision compared to contact for hand ball, fouls etc.

Back
Top Bottom