The Old Firm!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As the title says or as it's known in Scotlandshire! this Saturday is the first league meeting between the two in a while, with the event will come the usual hype,mostly provided by the Scottish press who will be hyperventilating at the prospect and trying make it out to be something it ain't! For the rest of Scottish football they can forget it for this weekend nobody will be interested, but does the Glasgow Derby have any relevance in Englandshire? The two clubs and west coast hacks would like to think so!

My Grandad is a big Rangers fan so have always had a soft spot for them.

It gets reasonable interest down here. The semi-final last year was certainly a medium-big deal.

Yes at least in previous times, back in the 90's it was massive, I think back then because so many good players played for Rangers and Celtic.

Still a bid deal because of the history although the clubs themselves seem so much weaker than they used to be.

It is a fixture defined by drama, history, and hatred which means the quality of football becomes largely irrelevant. It's a shame the Laudrups have departed and the present era is of low quality, but it's a set of conditions the Old Firm has created for itself. Rangers and Celtic have consumed themselves with their own myopia.

I think there will be added interest this year because of the two managers: one well known to the PL and one very promising Englishman. But the fact that Celtic are playing some very decent football again also makes it more appealing.

I still hate the fact that Scotland's most viewed sports game is full of Irish Tricolours, Union Flags and pathetic, sectarian bigotry. But it does make for curious viewing.

I hope Hearts and Aberdeen can maintain a challenge to the league, but I think it's unlikely.

Rangers looked good on Saturday against Linfield at Windsor Park.
But Norn Irish football suffers from a lack of money and talent leaving to go to Scotland and England(like Scotland does with England) So probably not a good indication.

Back
Top Bottom