The Old Firm!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Celtic: Uefa fine Scottish champions £11,000 for fan disturbances in win at AIK

Where does it end with these "fans"? An £11,000 fine? Pathetic, not to mention it's the 17TH in 12 years.

What will it take for UEFA to start with points docking and competition expulsions?

Well I’m sure it’s not easy being a footballing executive politician; wined and dined at footballs biggest events - all expenses paid - with a reasonable Salary to boot; couldn’t find a better part time job even in a dream. Why start making waves - risking your position- wouldn’t want to blow the free-be at the next would cup: ( hope it’s somewhere nice); who knows - one day I might gett promoted to FIFA.

Etc, etc, etc. :cunt:

It really is comical how much of a shitstate Scottish football is in, when they're runaway 9 times in a row champions can't even beat the Hungarian champions.

(Although they are managed by our former player Sergei Rebrov...)

Last edited:

It really is comical how much of a shitstate Scottish football is in, when they're running 9 times in a row champions can't even beat the Hungarian champions.

(Although they are managed by our former player Sergei Rebrov...)

In some sense the surprise is how such a small country was such a powerhouse for so long, but it is a shame.

In some sense the surprise is how such a small country was such a powerhouse for so long, but it is a shame.
This. Considering their small population being this big for so long, and having teams that were on par with England’s finest for up to the late 90’s is quite remarkable.

just think of how many of the greatest player pre PL were Scottish

I’m one of the few that wouldn’t mind them in the PL and let Scotland have a fairer shout.
Rather them than Swansea and Cardiff, what’s the difference

Perhaps if only to put to bed the debate about where Rangers/Celtic would finish in the league, a lot of their lot reckon they're easily top four...

Seriously.

Perhaps if only to put to bed the debate about where Rangers/Celtic would finish in the league, a lot of their lot reckon they're easily top four...

Seriously.

At the moment the old firm are a league 1/championship level. The main thing is that if they spent a year or 2 in the prem (I've seen it suggested they enter the prem and can't be relegated for a few years... which is nonsense) the money they'd make would be 100's of time more than now. That added with their large canvases would make them top level teams.

It's all fantasy stuff cos they'd have to enter the English league system at the bottom tier and it's take 10 years to build themselves up. Also it would destroy Scottish football, it'd be on par with the Welsh and Irish league's.

Celtic "only have themselves to blame" after suffering a shock Champions League exit in Glasgow at the hands of Ferencvaros, says manager Neil Lennon.
Asked what message he would give to his players, Lennon added: "Get your mentality right, get your attitude right. If some of you don't want to be here, leave."

Seriously.

With their current squads no chance, but if they could get into the revenue bonanza that is the PL, they have the stadia and supporter bases to be massive clubs.

It's really quite unfair the way large nations with big internal TV markets are basically the only way to remain competitive now. The Old Firm and the big clubs in Portgual and Holland are the most obvious victims of that, but it's true across the continent (and the world).

It would be a dangerous precedent to set for a lot of reasons, but I am pretty sympathetic to the idea of letting countries create multi-national leagues to give their clubs a higher standard of league football.

Last edited:
This. Considering their small population being this big for so long, and having teams that were on par with England’s finest for up to the late 90’s is quite remarkable.

just think of how many of the greatest player pre PL were Scottish
Number of factors fucked this. SFA/Bosman ruling/tvdeals -sky/premier League

The current Celtic and Rangers sides would probably struggle in the championship, just looking at the decline in European results over the last ten years it clearly shows that Scottish football is now on a par with Austria, Denmark, and Ireland which is hardly surprising as they have very similar size populations. The astonishing fact is that they managed to stay so strong for so long ....

The current Celtic and Rangers sides would probably struggle in the championship

Just looking at the financials they are pretty comparable with PL relegation fodder/Championship promotion seekers.

But again, IF they were allowed in the Premier League, they would probably be in a position to invest a lot to stay there, and if they did manage to establish themselves would have a platform for growth with their passionate multinational following, large market, big stadia, etc, etc. They're giant clubs, they just can't attract any TV audience for games against anyone but each other, and TV money runs the game now.

I would be in favor of letting them in, personally. Along with any other Scottish clubs that wanted to join the English pyramid. I think the relationship Wales has to the English League is better for the game there than the way Scottish football is withering and dying.

And a Premier League with Rangers and Celtic would be a stronger league and a stronger TV property which would ultimately benefit the whole league as against La Liga, Serie A, etc.

Just looking at the financials they are pretty comparable with PL relegation fodder/Championship promotion seekers.

But again, IF they were allowed in the Premier League, they would probably be in a position to invest a lot to stay there, and if they did manage to establish themselves would have a platform for growth with their passionate multinational following, large market, big stadia, etc, etc. They're giant clubs, they just can't attract any TV audience for games against anyone but each other, and TV money runs the game now.

I would be in favor of letting them in, personally. Along with any other Scottish clubs that wanted to join the English pyramid. I think the relationship Wales has to the English League is better for the game there than the way Scottish football is withering and dying.

And a Premier League with Rangers and Celtic would be a stronger league and a stronger TV property which would ultimately benefit the whole league as against La Liga, Serie A, etc.
Tend to agree that with EPL resources they would have what it takes to compete, and whilst you can argue that the EPL would be stronger, no question that the entire professional Scottish League would collapse, is that better? for the EPL probably yes but for proud Scots not so sure.

If you take your argument to it's ultimate conclusion you end up with a European Super League akin to the NFL, a closed shop sucking in 90% of the football money with no meaningful professional leagues beneath. That's not where I would like to end up ... but there are quite a few money men at UEFA who would like nothing more.

Tend to agree that with EPL resources they would have what it takes to compete, and whilst you can argue that the EPL would be stronger, no question that the entire professional Scottish League would collapse, is that better? for the EPL probably yes but for proud Scots not so sure.

Well that's why I said take as many teams as would like to come. Scotland doesn't have other teams that could play in the Premier League (though Aberdeen is no less likely than Bournemouth or whoever in theory, teams might pop up), they have plenty who could populate Leagues One or Two.

It's possible some Scottish clubs would go under, but the hope would be more people with more access to a higher quality of football, and an expansion of interest and participation in the game. That would be the hope anyway.

If you take your argument to it's ultimate conclusion you end up with a European Super League akin to the NFL, a closed shop sucking in 90% of the football money with no meaningful professional leagues beneath. That's not where I would like to end up ... but there are quite a few money men at UEFA who would like nothing more.

That's the opposite of what I want. My whole aim would be to prevent Scotland from becoming a colony of the PL and CL, the way so many other parts of the world are seeing their domestic interest in football colonized by the glitzy top clubs.

It’s not a dichotomy...no reason against multi national leagues in Europe. Interwar period had the big clubs of former Austro Hungarian empire playing some multinational tournament similar to the CL.

no reason not to have joint top leagues for clusters of states like in Central Europe/Scandinavia/Benelux etc. It could even help combat the rising inequality with the big leagues

the only thing stoping the old firm from entering the PL is the FA/SFA pride and animosity of over 150 years. But it is coming, if they won’t evolve they won’t survive. All the other big names in Scotland could join the football league afterwards. Scottish system could be half amateur like the welsh one, and why not besides of nationalism?

Back
Top Bottom