The PODCAST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know there is a section about this, on the string for the Social it seems that some folk love the forum but haven't listened to the podcast. In fairness podcasts aren't for everyone but it kind of feels rude not to give this a mention.

I do listen to quite a few as I have a commute with a space perfect for podcasts, I did originally listen to The Spurs Show but it did seem relentlessly depressing and Phil Cornwall was beginning to irritate me. So having had a look about I found the Fighting Cock and I've been listening for a long while since the times of Spooky & Chicago Dan to the current time.

The show has definitely evolved, I think at the core you have a bunch of likeable people. I think you do get a feel for different folk, I think Flav has changed quite a bit over time, the Woolwich hatred thing has died down a bit and even hearing him talk about finding the Dortmund fans drum monotonous (which I agree with) makes him sound a little more mature/experienced/battle worn and he's also probably taken his fair share of abuse from other Spurs fans over time, yet he's still here being positive and hopefully keeping the show going.

The two key mainstays for me are Thelonius & Ricky (sorry others, you're still loved especially Windy, Alex from Bristol & Bardy!). Thelonius is often the cynical voice of that older fan and he's been pretty consistent throughout, unlike some of the spurs show hosts, he can be optimistic when the chips are down but he still is open about having doubts on players without sounding like he wants to cut himself, a healthy cynic.

Ricky is a character and the sort of guy you'd want to go to football with, he's a funny guy and not in a 'you should do stand up' sort of way, I think one of the lines was when he described a toilet incident as 'like shoes falling from a loft' in one of the recent podcasts and I think I nearly laughed out loud on the train (never make emotion or noise on a commuter train, they'll think you're dangerous).

It has managed to do the two things you really want as a fan, they soften the blow when we're crap and they share the joy when we succeed, it works. The banter is fine and by leaving the majority of it till the end they give you a choice if you want to listen to just Spurs talk or them too. I am one of the 30%ers . I do sometimes shake my head as to where some of the convos go but it's never so bad that I've stopped listening or wanted to write anything angry at them.

The other developments have been impressive too, the extra inch podcasts have been really very good for tactical analysis and Windy has already attracted some excellent guests. He had a great podcast with Michael Cox (of Inverted Pyramid fame) and he has invited other youth/development pundits to discuss how clubs develop players and systems. It is a distinct but very welcome addition.

Add in to that the occasional bonus pod that they drop with player/expert interviews, the one with Mido did sound strange but I don't think that was on Flav at all, the chat with Priya Romesh pre-Janssen turned out to be a bit premature but the interview was great. I really enjoyed the pre-Barcelona podcast, which was a one off but the guy who did it put in a huge amount of time and I thought that worked superbly.

Criticisms? I think some of the music might need a change, the Windy song for the youth update with the line 'no paedo' does feel like it's getting a bit tired as does the closing song. It's not a game changer but I can't just always say nice things! Some guests haven't worked, Expressions came on to a few shows and while he can be funny (he is to be fair an acquired taste) he does tend to take over things, which is fine for youtube but it didn't work so well on the show. That said if those are the only things to complain about in 7 years or so, they're not doing a bad job at all.

So, long story short, if you don't listen to the pod you're not a real fan*

*Unless deaf, you just don't like podcasts or you have a note excusing you signed by a responsible adult.

Was a 30% but stopped listening to the pod around Christmas when they had those horrible Skype pods, never got back to listening as I found I didn't miss them...never got into the Extra Inch pods as they were really fucking dry and boring and the discovery that Windy is actually a moany cunt who would rather have our youngsters leave the club...

Was a 30% but stopped listening to the pod around Christmas when they had those horrible Skype pods, never got back to listening as I found I didn't miss them...never got into the Extra Inch pods as they were really fucking dry and boring and the discovery that Windy is actually a moany cunt who would rather have our youngsters leave the club...

I think we've got to a stage where we're producing decent youth prospects but they're not at first team level, so some of that Windy criticism is probably based on recent history, like Reo Griffiths leaving for better opportunities. But it is a case of horses for courses.

Also, yeah the Skype podcast is quite a difficult thing to master, you can hear a difference in sound quality and the fact that people who are used to sharing the same room don't have the same dynamic when they're effectively on the phone.

That and I didn't feel comfortable when Flav quit his job and started bleating on about monetising and such shit that he learned from Ball Street....a place where Sophie Rose is a valued contributor...

I think we've got to a stage where we're producing decent youth prospects but they're not at first team level, so some of that Windy criticism is probably based on recent history .
No it's like Windy thinks he's made it to first team level when he's nothing more than a youth prospect...

I’m genuinely fascinated in the psychology of you posting this; what did you hope to achieve?

I have probably listened to the pod around half a dozen times but then I doubt very much that I am the targeted demographic.

Some of them are better than others but quite an enjoyable listen on the whole and I do try and listen to the whole thing although I don't particularly find drug taking, fecal banter and wanking stories particularly entertaining but then I am almost a sexegenarian.

As for Flav monetising TFC well it is his baby so he can do what he likes with it. It will of course take away a bit of the maverick/punk vibe which is a shame and over time become more 'corporate' which is a natural evolution.

In 24 months time he will be voting Tory.

the chat about football was good tbf and Windy and Bardy & T were all great but there was way too much other non football bullshit. just puerile stuff, stopped listening. if they did a pod that was 90% + of actual football talk, I'd listen again.

I genuinly enjoy the pod. Sometimes they are a bit too laddish but it doesnt really bother me. Windy's updates are very interesting and to the point. Keep on going please!

I also still enjoy the Spurs Show.

I was an early listener and discovered the forum via the pod. I still listen and find it good fun. If Flav Flav makes some dough then fair fucks to him he created and nursed the whole thing. Do wish they had spooky spooky on a bit more. One of the originals and a keen chronicler of the spurs. The white hart Lane film was something that they should be very proud off.

This thread needs shutting the fuck down now.

This place spawned from the pod when it was first being recorded in the back of a boozer. If weren’t for the likes of Flav, T and especially Case you lot wouldn’t have the platform to moan at each other like little bitches on a daily basis.

The pod used to be essence of this forum and now it’s a clique ridden bitch festival.

State of some you is embarrassing.

Long live the podcast as Davro definitely ate my hamster and I still demand an explanation.

Genius, in lean no game times turning on the pod and creating a civil war would be perfect to tide us over, keep going!!!

giphy.gif

Just for the record, I'm not against Flav making money out of the whole thing, just that I'm not comfortable with how things seem to be headed, I wish him every success though. For fuck's sake don't stop listening to the pod just because I'm in a grumpy mood...

Last edited:
Pod was fantastic when it started. Flav, Spooky, Ricky and Thelonious. The energy and chat between those four was great. Then the guests started and it just lost some of its charm. I listened to every episode for a few years but not for this season and last. Just not for me anymore.

Pretty much reflected in my feelings on the forum too. Awesome early on. Not so much now.

Back
Top Bottom