The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Woolwich get 24 points from their last 8 games they deserve top 4 and if they do get to 78 points I promise to give you a hundred pounds. Said right here.

Waste of time you adding this to your former post too.

I've not said Arse will get max 24 points so stop clowning yourself.

Fact remains, if Arse get 15 (which is entirely plausible) and we only get your magic 10 then what good is that to us? Fuck all.

Your 10 point marker is arbitrary nonsense....

70-71 points is good enough for top 4 more often than not.
Although I think it's fair to gauge our level by looking at our own point tallies in previous seasons to see where we are in relation to the league.

15/16: 70 pts
16/17: 86 pts
17/18: 77 pts
18/19: 71 pts
19/20: 59 pts
20/21: 62 pts

If we can get 71 pts I will be happy with our progress compared with the last 2 seasons and am pretty confident it would be enough for top 4.

If we can push for 73+ points, it will be our 3rd best total in the Premier League ever. Given the shit we have been through this season I think that would be pretty fucking impressive and a massive building block for next season.
4 wins, 2 draws and a defeat. Doable

Question - would we be better off if West Ham go through to the semi of the Ropey league?
3 midweek games including this 2nd leg coming up in the QF. They're looking really leggy at the moment. It would be good to keep them in that zone for a few more league games, surely?

No. Absolutely not.

Also illustrates what a fucking burden the ropey league is, and that the idea of throwing league games to try and win a knock out competition is insane. More often than not, you'll achieve nothing doing that.

A European qtr final is not a burden.

A European qtr final is not a burden.

They've also been on a downward curve for ages (even when not facing a busy schedule) because they had a horrible January in which their hilariously poor owners decided to again leave them without a single natural CF. Antonio is on his knees and has never been prolific enough across a season anyway.

West Ham in general have very little depth.

Yes and no. We want them to be distracted enough to drop points, but we also need them to be at it against Woolwich
I don't consider them a threat any more, regardless of EL or not. We're 6 points with a game in hand. They have to play Chelsea, City, Burnley, Arse, and BHA still. They're practically guaranteed a loss against City, and the rest will tough as well.

They're finished as far as top 4 goes.

They've also been on a downward curve for ages (even when not facing a busy schedule) because they had a horrible January in which their hilariously poor owners decided to again leave them without a single natural CF. Antonio is on his knees and has never been prolific enough across a season anyway.

West Ham in general have very little depth.

Amazing how stories change..... Rewind to November time and I had a series of drawn out debates with particularly active posters here that were arguing that Antonio was physically up to it, that he does score enough, that he wasn't a converted winger come target man and also that Yamalenko was to be deemed a genuine back-up striker and that lastly they had better all-round attacking depth than us.

Bit like me being mocked for saying we were not out of the top 4 race 2 months ago... The proof is very much in the pudding afterall.

Amazing how stories change..... Rewind to November time and I had a series of drawn out debates with particularly active posters here that were arguing that Antonio was physically up to it, that he does score enough, that he wasn't a converted winger come target man and also that Yamalenko was could be deemed a genuine back-up striker and that lastly they had better attacking depth than us.

Bit like me being mocked for saying we were not out of the top 4 race 2 months ago... The proof is very much in the pudding afterall.

I like Antonio but he's no CF .. he's a solid second striker/wide player who can chip in with a good handful of goals and will offer a lot to a team because of his physicality. He doesn't have the guile to score 15+ league goals. And this version of Antonio is an exhausted one.

Gotta hold my hand up for that one .. I really did lose hope for top 4 after Wolves & Southampton. I just saw a team that was too error prone and easy to smother. Turnaround since has been remarkable, I'm probably guilty of underestimating Antonio. Still a long way to go but the hope is there for sure.

Antonio was physically up to it, that he does score enough
It's silly isn't it? How many fucking strikers have come and gone over the years that a brief flash in the pan but football fans up and down the country would swear they'll end Kane's dominance in the league.

Morata, Costa, Lukaku, Abraham, Antonio, even fucking Raul Jimenez according to one persistent troll.

It's silly isn't it? How many fucking strikers have come and gone over the years that a brief flash in the pan but football fans up and down the country would swear they'll end Kane's dominance in the league.

Morata, Costa, Lukaku, Abraham, Antonio, even fucking Raul Jimenez according to one persistent troll.

Can also add Firmino, Aubameyang, Jesus, Vardy, Calvert Lewin, Rashford, Martial, Batshuayi and fcuking Benteke(!!!) to the list....

The only one that comes close of this generation is Aguero.... And Harry will have left him for dust within the next 10 or so EPL games too.

Can also add Firmino, Aubameyang, Jesus, Vardy, Calvert Lewin, Rashford, Martial, Batshuayi and fcuking Benteke(!!!) to the list....

The only one that comes close of this generation is Aguero.... And Harry will have left him for dust within the next 10 games or so.

In fairness, I don't think anyone ever actually rated him.

Enough peeps here did.

40 price-tag suggests enough did too.

He just failed to deliver.

Rated before he came to England sure, I think from pretty much the minute he arrived here it was kinda obvious he was a bit shit. Had a run of games where he scored a few on loan at Palace but otherwise crap .. apparently has ended up in Turkey.

Definitely remember most of that list being hyped up as the best though .. Martial especially when he had his purple patch every season and United fans wanked themselves in to oblivion pretending this was going to be the norm.

Rated before he came to England sure, I think from pretty much the minute he arrived here it was kinda obvious he was a bit shit. Had a run of games where he scored a few on loan at Palace but otherwise crap .. apparently has ended up in Turkey.

Just checked..... Just another in a long series of loans.

He's still owned by Chavski until 2023! :levylol:

Definitely remember most of that list being hyped up as the best though .. Martial especially when he had his purple patch every season and United fans wanked themselves in to oblivion pretending this was going to be the norm.

They've all been held up at one point or another to be able to put Harry in the shade.... Funnily enough the only other that deserves an honorable mention is Vardy.

It’s a distraction not a burden. They aren’t catching us regardless

Distraction from what?

It's their best chance of CL and their best chance of a trophy for 15 years since an FA Cup final vs Liverpool in 06.

They have a tough run in... They may not even score conference league at this rate.

If they get knocked out on Thursday, it'll keep them honest in the league until the last hurrah.

Distraction from what?

It's their best chance of CL and their best chance of a trophy for 15 years since an FA Cup final vs Liverpool in 06.

They have a tough run in... They may not even score conference league at this rate.

If they get knocked out on Thursday, it'll keep them honest in the league until the last hurrah.

There's a sick, twisted part of me that wants them to get to a final vs Barca just so we can see Moyes vs Xavi .. the ultimate clash of football styles.

Then I get my shit together and want Lyon to beat them 5-0 in the second leg.

There's a sick, twisted part of me that wants them to get to a final vs Barca just so we can see Moyes vs Xavi .. the ultimate clash of football styles.

Ooooof, too much risk they'll pull a lucky win out of their arse for me to entertain that thinking for a second.

Then I get my shit together and want Lyon to beat them 5-0 in the second leg.

They're still more than capable of forcing a draw against Arse & Chavski and that would be fucking grand!

Also still to play Man City & Brighton + Burnley & Norwich so there's enough there for them to help us AND still drop to 8th.... Just need Wolves to pull their finger out and do their part.

:conterubhands:

Back
Top Bottom