The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

West Ham and Leicester both heading out of the Ropey Leagues having spent all their energy trying to get to the finals and win.
Both will finish well outside of top 4 and could feasibly miss out on Europe altogether if their form continues to tank.

Absolute poster chilre for why over committing to these 2 poor competitions is a terrible decision.
If we finish in the CL places, we should make a donation to UEFA for booting us out of that third rate car crash of a cup

West Ham and Leicester both heading out of the Ropey Leagues having spent all their energy trying to get to the finals and win.
Both will finish well outside of top 4 and could feasibly miss out on Europe altogether if their form continues to tank.

Absolute poster chilre for why over committing to these 2 poor competitions is a terrible decision.

It's a poster child for why if you qualify for the EL you build a squad capable of it, West Ham have 0 natural centre forwards in the entire team, they weren't built for this at all. Leicester were rubbish all season long and their best form was actually pretty recent, don't think it's a case of them prioritising the cup at all.

It's a poster child for why if you qualify for the EL you build a squad capable of it, West Ham have 0 natural centre forwards in the entire team, they weren't built for this at all. Leicester were rubbish all season long and their best form was actually pretty recent, don't think it's a case of them prioritising the cup at all.
What PL position do you think we would be in if we were still in the combined counties conference trophy?

What PL position do you think we would be in if we were still in the combined counties conference trophy?

No idea.

I think we'd have won it under Conte if we played strong sides though, and since we look likely to only get EL football anyway, winning the conference league achieves that but also ends our trophy drought.

Tier below the Audi cup

You get EL for it and there's been some very decent teams in the latter stages, teams like Roma who are a big club yet going all out for it. It's not a tournament I was excited to be involved in, but once you are it's a chance to get your hands on silverware.

You get EL for it and there's been some very decent teams in the latter stages, teams like Roma who are a big club yet going all out for it. It's not a tournament I was excited to be involved in, but once you are it's a chance to get your hands on silverware.
People don’t pay £1.5K for a ST to scuttle around in this pissfest

I’m surprised at Leicester this season, but West Ham are where they should be in the league. They aren’t a particularly good team outside of set pieces. Personally I’m desperate for Spurs to win any trophy, so I wanted us to have continued in the ECL. Obviously getting chucked out has benefited our top 4 push but coming 5th would be a lot worse than 7th/8th and winning ECL (Europa football by winning it plus a trophy).

Neither are we and rarely have when we've been in it over the last 20 years. It's a long old slog that takes its toll

I’m surprised at Leicester this season, but West Ham are where they should be in the league. They aren’t a particularly good team outside of set pieces. Personally I’m desperate for Spurs to win any trophy, so I wanted us to have continued in the ECL. Obviously getting chucked out has benefited our top 4 push but coming 5th would be a lot worse than 7th/8th and winning ECL (Europa football by winning it plus a trophy).
If we played a strong team to go all the way in the ropier ropey league we'd be nowhere near 5th in the league. We'd be on our knees every weekend, just like Leicester, just like West Ham. We proved our squad isn't deep enough with dire performances when we were in it.

If we played a strong team to go all the way in the ropier ropey league we'd be nowhere near 5th in the league. We'd be on our knees every weekend, just like Leicester, just like West Ham. We proved our squad isn't deep enough with dire performances when we were in it.
“IF”
I would hope we would play a rotated side for the earlier stages, if they weren’t good enough then so be it. Please don’t compare us to West Ham, our first 11, squad and manager are far superior to them. Leicester is a valid point. I also never mentioned finish 5th if we were in the latter stages of ECL, I mentioned 5th as that’s where I predict we finish this season.

We’ve got more chance of winning the CL than Europa League too. We’ve never done well in the Ropey, even when we’ve had a stellar side we underperformed and drifted out of it

It’s made for second tier shit like Mark Nobile and co

Deuterz Deuterz (ref our convo in this thread last night about Trophies) - See; the above is the kind of wanky attitude that these bitter fuckers truly have about these trophies and our much condemned drout....

Basically only winning the EPL or CL would stop the pissing and moaning... For a few weeks at least.... Until Man City pip us to a player we wanted and then the tears would begin rolling all over again.

Last edited:
Deuterz Deuterz (ref our convo in this thread last night about Trophies) - See; the above is the kind of wanky attitude that these bitter fuckers truly have about these trophies and our much condemned called drout....

Basically only winning the EPL or CL would stop the pissing and moaning... For a few weeks at least.... Until Man City pip us to a player we wanted and then the tears would begin rolling all over again.

Yeah that's never been my position. It's why I'm relatively calm about the end of this season. If we qualify for CL great, unexpected and helps us in the market, if we don't then cool, let's have a real go at the Europa League as one of the favourites.

It's a great trophy, those big European nights are still the best feeling in football. Yeah the CL is bigger but its monopolised by the same handful of ultra strong/wealthy teams and despite our near miracle, I don't expect us to win it ever.

Yeah that's never been my position. It's why I'm relatively calm about the end of this season. If we qualify for CL great, unexpected and helps us in the market, if we don't then cool, let's have a real go at the Europa League as one of the favourites.

It's a great trophy, those big European nights are still the best feeling in football. Yeah the CL is bigger but its monopolised by the same handful of ultra strong/wealthy teams and despite our near miracle, I don't expect us to win it ever.

I'd do back-flips over an EL win...... I'd have happily celebrated an ECL trophy too.

On a similar front; European qualification is always better than no Europe.

......I still vividly remember how good it felt to finally be back under Big Martin.

I'd do back-flips over an EL win...... I'd have happily celebrated an ECL trophy too.

On a similar front; European qualification is always better than no Europe.

......I still vividly remember how good it felt to finally be back under Big Martin.

Yeah the ECL would definitely register less but still, the opportunity to knock out Jose’s Roma for example? Brilliant. Would’ve been awesome.

We’re not above these kind of trophies, the big ones are hoovered up, yes long term the aim should be to get as close as we can to that but meanwhile let’s get some in the cabinet and give the fans some memories.

As we have seen the last few games they don´t have to be close to good. The F.A. the PL, and Sky will do everything in their power to help them!

200.gif
Better to be lucky than good.

Its sad isn’t it. Spurs fans have become so starved of success, it’s become ok to be a failure of a football club. 1 league cup in 21 years is an absolute shambles for a club of our size
this may be 5th best season ever . not like a great history of success. The last 15 years have been excellent compared to what came before

Back
Top Bottom