The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

the same fans that want us to play the next CL...are worried about norwich

Podcast What GIF by Washed Media
...but then you have the fans who did not worry about the lowest-ranked team in the Europa Conference League, NS Mura, or Vitesse.... :cool:
Of course, we all know that Spurs are huge favorites to win against Norwich ...but I am not ready to celebrate just yet...

That’s before you consider the crazy luck of hitting a Chelsea who literally didn’t give a shit and played like they wanted to throw the game, a West Ham between EL games with injuries and a United that started to disintegrate.

Hitting those games normally is brutal but they couldn’t have timed it better

Indeed I don't know why people are so desperate to push this narrative that they were unlucky, whilst at the same time claim that we have world class attackers and a world class coach and should be finishing top 4 by rights when in truth we shouldn't have been in this race.

They were 6 points ahead of us after match week 20 with a game in hand and a +7 GD then they let us back in...and then they were 4 points ahead of us going into the NLD, if that was us who bottled it like that TWICE we wouldn't hear the end of it

Strangely losing to boro & Mura probably did help us get 4th in the end. Those extras games could only have made us worse in the league with all the extra games & travelling, injuries, fatigue etc.
obviously would have been good to win one but top 4 will help us more in the long term financially.

The Leicester era is over, I don’t expect to see them anywhere near top four in the next few years.
They've had massive injuries this season. They have a number of players who would improve us so they will still cause problems for teams in the top 7 or 8.

Especially if Everton still have the relegation battle on.

I do feel positive about Sunday but the ghosts of our recent past aren't easy (for me) to shake off. Having said that, we now have a manager who is determined to succeed and has instilled that mentality on the squad.

I'm cautiously optimistic or maybe optimistically cautious!
I see it the other way….: they are just as dangerous if they are safe and play with confidence. Their form has picked up but they seem to lack discipline when they are under pressure

Especially if Everton still have the relegation battle on.

I do feel positive about Sunday but the ghosts of our recent past aren't easy (for me) to shake off. Having said that, we now have a manager who is determined to succeed and has instilled that mentality on the squad.

I'm cautiously optimistic or maybe optimistically cautious!
Usually I’d be dead worried about us losing somehow against a weak Norwich in a one off match . But I think it’s conte that has really given me confidence that he will make sure the players are right & will make sure they do what’s required. The difference when you have a manager you trust & have confidence in. For me it’s the first one since poch.

It actually was better that we nicked it at the end against all odds & really broke Woolwich hearts . Rather than cruised to it all along. This is the cruelest & best way to deny Woolwich.
Neville alluded to them being brutalised for 60 minutes at the Lane last week. Hopefully has a huge impact on their mojo.

Neville alluded to them being brutalised for 60 minutes at the Lane last week. Hopefully has a huge impact on their mojo.
That’s a good point actually. They started so poorly & looked shellshocked & unconfident. I think That had an impact for sure & completely switched the momentum too. Especially with it only being a few days ago so they were still very raw! Awwww.

I wasn’t happy that we didn’t go for the win in the latter stages against Liverpool. I didn’t think we would get 4 after the Brighton/Brentford results. It feels so good to be proven wrong on this, so so so good. I hate football sometimes but God do I love it sometimes.

If you think I've now stuck a tenner on Woolwich to finish top 4, you're absolutely correct :roflmao:

No but seriously although the scars of the past will probably never fade, I have confidence now that this team with this manager will get the job done against Norwich. Also, Everton getting something from Woolwich is far from unlikely. COYS and howay the lads!

All bias aside, Woolwich have done well to finish 5th and compete for top 4. They have a very young squad and coach. They are leading the line with kids (Nketia and Saka) - We have the best strike pair in world football (Kane and Son).

Nah its BS really, they had everything go for them, no European football, knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round, us and Utd changing managers mid season whilst West Ham and Leicester had European football as well...not to mention spending the most money in the Summer AND having the audacity to call off the original NLD to give themselves more rest.

They played 44 matches this season, and at one point after match day 20 were 6 points up with a game in hand over us with a +7 GD.

To not get top 4 considering those circumstances is a fucking disgrace whether they're a young team or not.
Both good arguments.
Lot of injuries for Goons as well.
If they get a great striker (big if) I think they will replace Chelsea top 4 next season.
The biggest thing thing Goons have going for them is they normally win (or at least rarely get beaten) against the bottom 14 teams:

PREMIER LEAGUEFr 13Aug 2021Brentford2 - 0WoolwichL
PREMIER LEAGUESu 22Aug 2021Woolwich0 - 2ChelseaL
EFL CUPWe 25Aug 2021West Brom0 - 6WoolwichW
PREMIER LEAGUESa 28Aug 2021Man City5 - 0WoolwichL
PREMIER LEAGUESa 11Sep 2021Woolwich1 - 0NorwichW
PREMIER LEAGUESa 18Sep 2021Burnley0 - 1WoolwichW
EFL CUPWe 22Sep 2021Woolwich3 - 0AFC W'bledonW
PREMIER LEAGUESu 26Sep 2021Woolwich3 - 1TottenhamW
PREMIER LEAGUESa 02Oct 2021Brighton0 - 0WoolwichD
PREMIER LEAGUEMo 18Oct 2021Woolwich2 - 2Crystal PalaceD
PREMIER LEAGUEFr 22Oct 2021Woolwich3 - 1Aston VillaW
EFL CUPTu 26Oct 2021Woolwich2 - 0LeedsW