The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Conte said in one of his press conferences that he uses a ‘carrot and stick’ methodology. Sometimes he chooses to dangle a carrot in front of the players, sometimes he has to be harsher and use the stick.

Carrot: allowing the players to have a few days off if they get a result

Stick: Being harsh with the players if they’re not doing so well (i.e half time yesterday)
Sounds like a real kinky bastard to me :contelip:.

Truthfully though, it does work, footballers seem to have the same mentality as young children, you have to use a reward based system to get them to achieve things.

I heard Ndombele worked for big macs but once they stopped doing super sized meals he lost all motivation.

I think Liverpool will play into our hands with a high line and won’t be able to stop all of KSK from scoring. One of them will, hopefully we can stop them from scoring. My money is a score draw. Be nice to dent their title challenge.

Hopefully he’ll be fine. The players have a few days off so I suppose Conte is okay with it, otherwise he wouldn’t have gone. He’s probably in Italy himself seeing his wife and daughter no doubt. I’m wondering if Conte might have said to the players before yesterday’s game that if they get a result they could have a few days off?

Bloody lucky Nuno's not still in charge otherwise it'd take Harry two weeks to return.

Hopefully he’ll be fine. The players have a few days off so I suppose Conte is okay with it, otherwise he wouldn’t have gone. He’s probably in Italy himself seeing his wife and daughter no doubt. I’m wondering if Conte might have said to the players before yesterday’s game that if they get a result they could have a few days off?

Romero has gone bare hand hunting in the in the Serengeti

Don’t know - I think we’ll concede in one of those three and not turn it around

All 3 of them are half decent sides
We should be pummeling all three of those sides. The hardest one will be Brentford but they aren’t really that good.

If we can’t beat those three when it really counts then we don’t deserve top 4 anyways.

We may have an easy run in based on average positions of each team, but Burnley, Norwich, Brentford are all fighting relegation. Leicester and Woolwich want Europe, Liverpool want the title so only really Brighton with the sun loungers out.
Brentford are all but safe now. Burnley and Norwich are last from games and both likely to be already relegated when we face them.

We can't expect to get anything from Liverpool.
But we can't "not care if we lose" unless we're over 6 points above Arse.

Because we lose that then lose to them, we're level on points with 1 game to go.

Does anyone alive want that?

And before anyone says it's just relegated Norwich, I'll point you to the 5-1 loss to relegated 10 man Newcastle debacle a few a years ago.

Or when we beat Hull 7-1 the following season...

Early start.

Less easy as Brighton will be buoyed by their victory but win and it ratchets up the pressure.

3 wins from our last 7 games and realistically it's only Woolwich that can catch us.

Anyone else actually hate it a little when Spurs begin to look competent?

I'm now looking at Brighton (H), Brentford (A) and Leicester (H) with supreme pessimism and building them up in my mind as incredibly tough fixtures.

Whereas during the last spell of apathy where Top 4 looked unlikely and we were stuck in our WLWLWLWLWL loop I would have looked at them as games we should win easily and felt little to no anxiety.

Anyone else actually hate it a little when Spurs begin to look competent?

I'm now looking at Brighton (H), Brentford (A) and Leicester (H) with supreme pessimism and building them up in my mind as incredibly tough fixtures.

Whereas during the last spell of apathy where Top 4 looked unlikely and we were stuck in our WLWLWLWLWL loop I would have looked at them as games we should win easily and felt little to no anxiety.
Nope

Conte needs to work on the fans mentality too.

We, plain as day, have the best team and squad and manager, running for fourth. It is ours, and we shouldn’t rule out third spot either.

Conte expects the players to expect to win each game, no exceptions. We need to adopt that mentality. Including against Liverpool.

Conte needs to work on the fans mentality too.

We, plain as day, have the best team and squad and manager, running for fourth. It is ours, and we shouldn’t rule out third spot either.

Conte expects the players to expect to win each game, no exceptions. We need to adopt that mentality. Including against Liverpool.

Not really his job so much as it is down to ourselves to find that sweet spot between not being arrogant clowns nor being slack-bladderd melts...... Not being a bipolar reactionary mix of the two either (as this very thread perfectly illustrates - we have a bunch of people taking results for granted that were equally happy to write our season off with 12 or even more games to go!).

Support and hope.... And if we have a bad day, we too dust ourselves down and go again. It's nothing more than we demand of the team each week afterall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom