The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm more confident than ever 4th is ours!
At two nil up and playing 10 men with 60 mins to go I feared a 7-0...surely they will drop points against the barcodes?
Anyone can get pumped by City but I mentioned before how Newcastle are shit (maybe even worse pre Saudi cash) against the big teams and have only really got better against relegation fodder, they try to play with a kind of swagger now that's just not suited against better teams.

BUT they will be the ones who will have to take points off them as I think Everton will be home and dry by the final game of the season so we won't get any special performance from them.

Plenty of reasons we're below them. Mourinho hangover, Nuno, some very average players, a poor summers recruitment (bar Romero), Romero hardly playing before January. We wouldnt be behind them if Conte had been appointed in the summer.

We were 4 points behind them when he took over. We're 4 points behind them now.
We've had all the opportunity in the world to sail past them since but we haven't.
People need to stop blaming Mourinho. It's the players. They are bottlers and have been for years.
Games we should be winning we're losing. Burnley. Southampton. Wolves. Brighton. We take 8 points from 12 against Liverpool and City. But we take ZERO points from Chelsea, United and (so far) Woolwich.

Woolwich may be the enemy. But labelling them shit is not correct. They have done exactly what is required of them to finish in the top 4. Ergo, they are better than 16 teams behind them.
If they throw it away from here, then obviously this entire post is incorrect.

If they come out of their own half against us on Thursday I'll be shocked. Yet they'll probably win 1-0

We've had all the opportunity in the world to sail past them since but we haven't.
People need to stop blaming Mourinho. It's the players. They are bottlers and have been for years.
Games we should be winning we're losing. Burnley. Southampton. Wolves. Brighton. We take 8 points from 12 against Liverpool and City. But we take ZERO points from Chelsea, United and (so far) Woolwich.

Woolwich may be the enemy. But labelling them shit is not correct. They have done exactly what is required of them to finish in the top 4. Ergo, they are better than 16 teams behind them.

If they come out of their own half against us on Thursday I'll be shocked. Yet they'll probably win 1-0
They're shit.

They may well finish above us but they're still shit.

Rather be us going into next season regardless of where we finish.

They'll get found out in the Champions League and it'll negatively affect their league form.

This season is just a blip. We'll be back well above them again next year.

They're shit.

They may well finish above us but they're still shit.

Rather be us going into next season regardless of where we finish.

They'll get found out in the Champions League and it'll negatively affect their league form.

This season is just a blip. We'll be back well above them again next year.

And what if Conte and Kane are gone by August?
I don't really understand where our fans suddenly got arrogant. Woolwich finished above us for 22 years in a row. We finish above them for 4 or 5 and our fans suddenly put Woolwich in the same bucket as a mid table club. They're a threat and will be for a long time. They spend money and have resources. I suspect they'll spend even more again this summer. I suspect we'll be stingey and that will start the problems.

I know the past can't be changed no matter what .... but a few moments/games will stand out:
- Højbjerg's misplaced header to Kane vs Liverpool
- Losing to Burnely & Brighton
- Have not just 1 but 2 totally "correct" goals vs Soton disallowed and it ended in a 1-1 draw. Those 2 points that the ref (forgot his name) stole from Spurs can prove very costly (I have always been a supporter of the implementation of VAR but seeing of poorly it's applied in the EPL I have no doubts decisions are still tainted in favor of "certain" teams)
The Soton result is the one that sticks in my craw.
2 perfectly good goals disallowed and momentum lost.

And what if Conte and Kane are gone by August?
I don't really understand where our fans suddenly got arrogant. Woolwich finished above us for 22 years in a row. We finish above them for 4 or 5 and our fans suddenly put Woolwich in the same bucket as a mid table club. They're a threat and will be for a long time. They spend money and have resources. I suspect they'll spend even more again this summer. I suspect we'll be stingey and that will start the problems.
Even if they win the quadruple for the next decade, they'll always be a shit club to me.

They've had a lucky season where going out early in the cups, no Europe and having their every whim catered for by the authorities has boosted their league position. They aren't a good team. They're shit.

As an average Conte would be on for 72pts this season. He also wouldn't have accepted our weak summer dealings. I dont disagree that we've blown it, helped by a huge dollop of luck thats gone Woolwichs way of playing Chelsea, Man U when they've downed tools and West Ham when knackered. But they are nothing special and neither are we. I also agree if they finish 4th then they deserve it but think it comes back to our bungling in the summer both in managerial search and transfers

Even if they win the quadruple for the next decade, they'll always be a shit club to me.

They've had a lucky season where going out early in the cups, no Europe and having their every whim catered for by the authorities has boosted their league position. They aren't a good team. They're shit.

And yet they beat Chelsea, Man United and us.
Despite Chelsea and United being shit, we got beat home and away. Chelsea did us 4 times.

Totally normal not to like them, but saying they're shit is daft. We went out of the ropey league early and for the most part, we played a weak team so you can't use that as an excuse.
The league doesn't lie which is why it's the best thing to win. You can luck out in a cup and get easy draws to the final.
Everyone plays every one twice in the league.

I know the past can't be changed no matter what .... but a few moments/games will stand out:
- Højbjerg's misplaced header to Kane vs Liverpool
- Losing to Burnely & Brighton
- Have not just 1 but 2 totally "correct" goals vs Soton disallowed and it ended in a 1-1 draw. Those 2 points that the ref (forgot his name) stole from Spurs can prove very costly (I have always been a supporter of the implementation of VAR but seeing of poorly it's applied in the EPL I have no doubts decisions are still tainted in favor of "certain" teams)
VAR screwed us against Southampton but favoured us against Liverpool at home.

On the flip side Woolwich need to sign players to compete on champions league, other clubs will sense they are desperate and will have to pay over the odds.

Everton might find form. I still think Goons are flakey and if Everton and Newcastle don’t concede early, they will wobble

Not sure if our tabs should be on Everton as a team...
But Pickford is being their hero and cornerstone.

Now we'd also need that Townsend would get his shit together and .... aaaand he is out for the season.

But hey, 0:0 would work for us as well until we can win our games :D

I tend to agree.

The fact that it's Woolwich we're competing with for the 4th spot makes it that all bit more frustrating but had it been any other team in 4th currently there wouldn't be so much pressure.

There wasn't a chance at the beginning of the season I thought we'd finish in the top 4 with everything that was going on and we still are in with a shout. I think the fact we have secured 5th is a massive achievement. The Europa League isn't a bad competition to qualify for now there is the Conference league either.

Overall I think we've shown so much improvement under Conte, the club is in a much better place than it was prior to his appointment. We're a club on the up with a coach who I don't believe will leave no matter where we finish this season. Not a chance he took on this job for 7 months.

It is all true...

BUT

As you said - fact that it is us vs Woolwich makes it frustrating and puts more pressure on us.
Also considering Kane wanted to leave and I still believe PSG will come to lure Conte in the summer - I would feel so much better if we had a CL card to play. I feel it would make it harder for Kane and/or Conte to walk away then.

Back
Top Bottom