The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the fact that some Spurs fans on social media seem to take pride in being “spursy” and not being confident beating Norwich are why other fans make fun of us.

If we want to elevate then games like this shouldn’t make you nervous. We aren’t going to win the league again if we aren’t confident we can beat the worst teams in the league.
Embracing failure is something some remnants of our fan base need to stop doing. I stopped with Poch. Now we have an even better coach. Time to embrace being winners.

Fuck off you creep.

Do you know what you need?

A hug.

Come here, cowboy

jake gyllenhaal GIF

Thin air.

CL is 50-75M, the stadium revenue (incl events),

After qualification bonuses and subsequent appearance bonuses and ancillary expenses, a CL group stage campaign would net us approx £20-25m(*) which is payable at the end of that season. Obviously qualification for futher rounds increases this, but CL is not the immediate mega-cash injection it gets portrayed as being.

(*This figure was previously crunched based on 20/21 figures last summer.)

the trust/faith in Conte,

OK.... Accepting that we're now in the realms of Joe Lewis putting his hand in his actual pocket, how does one apply a cash value to that?

the foundation of low wage bill vs peers……

I'd pressumed this trf kitty was based on trf fees only..... Are you saying that wages need to come out of this pot too?

I expect us to spend 300M gross on 5/6 with a lot of movement out so 150-200M net

Again, I'm not saying it's wrong or unreasonable..... Ordinarily people that are vocally critical of our spending are extremely coy about putting a figure on their expectations, so fair play for being 'brave' enough to do so.

Personally, my starting point would be that in recent years we've done about £60/70m net.... Add in an up-front investment speculatively based on a CL run and another 20m boosted by net stadium revenue (i.e. after loan repayments etc.) and I'm hoping for a minimum £100-120m + sales.

...Anything below that and I'll be dissapointed.

Bought, but doesn’t mean we’ve paid for him so it could impact summer budget although you would think Levy will try and continue the Klarna paylater purchases this summer (payments deferred until 2023)

As someone else noted, player fees are typically based on installments anyway.....

Bearing in mind us mortals don't get to see such data, it would be insane for us to try and factor it into our armchair accounting in such a way.

I just consider things on the basis of 'a commitment to spend' in the year the deal gets done; otherwise we'll all just tie each other in knots arguing about that shit on top of everything else... The though of which makes my head hurt.

As someone else noted, player fees are typically based on installments anyway.....

Bearing in mind us mortals don't get to see such data, it would be insane for us to try and factor it into our armchair accounting in such a way.

I just consider things on the basis of 'a commitment to spend' in the year the deal gets done; otherwise we'll all just tie each other in knots arguing about that shit on top of everything else... The though of which makes my head hurt.
Agree, and I think we almost certainly stretch and defer payments more than other clubs who pay more upfront to get a lower fee (City, Chelsea etc).

I do think the loan to buy’s we do have some form of tax benefit and or cash flow improvement

After qualification bonuses and subsequent appearance bonuses and ancillary expenses, a CL group stage campaign would net us approx £20-25m(*) which is payable at the end of that season. Obviously qualification for futher rounds increases this, but CL is not the immediate mega-cash injection it gets portrayed as being.

OK.... Accepting that we're now in the realms of Joe Lewis putting his hand in his actual pocket, how does one apply a cash value to that?

I'd pressumed this trf kitty was based on trf fees only..... Are you saying that wages need to come out of this pot too?

Again, I'm not saying it's wrong or unreasonable..... Ordinarily people that are vocally critical of our spending are extremely coy about putting a figure on their expectations, so fair play for being 'brave' enough to do so.

Personally, my starting point would be that in recent years we've done about £60/70m net.... Add in an up-front investment speculatively based on a CL run and another 20m boosted by net stadium revenue (i.e. after loan repayments etc.) and I'm hoping for a minimum £100-120m + sales.

On the first point, if our ground generates 6M per game there is 18M (Europa will yield lower prices) plus greater TV rights so it’s possibly 40-50M in total, not least indirect sponsorship opps etc

120M plus sales is likely….. IMO (fees not wages)

The point in lower wage bill is we aren’t hamstrung like other clubs….. which allows us to spend more. Fees / Capex don’t keep FD’s awake (Levy), it’s wages / opex and this should
Also allow us to spend more (as costs get deferred). It all comes together

On the first point, if our ground generates 6M per game there is 18M (Europa will yield lower prices) plus greater TV rights so it’s possibly 40-50M in total, not least indirect sponsorship opps etc

120M plus sales is likely….. IMO (fees not wages)
Have you included bonuses to the players and staff? That should be around 10-15M in expenses no?

That’s just fans being fans.

I do actually think Woolwich have a good lineup. Just really bad depth and a poor CF situation, plus a real lack of experienced top players. If I was ‘one of them’ (ew..) I wouldn’t be overly dismayed.

Arteta is awful though & aforementioned issues need fixing. Loss of Tierney & Partey broke them as the backups are so far behind. But seriously, while they have Arteta we have nothing to worry about, Conte is so, so far ahead. The biggest difference.

If you check the goals scored conceded they havent really improved at all for 3 seasons. 13 losses in the prem is poor also and when conceding 1st they have lost 11 won 1 all season or something stupid

Peps cone man legit doesn't have a plan B at all and it's fantastic

As well as a the other revenue streams, If we get top 4 Levy really should be closing a deal for naming rights. We missed that boat in 2019, getting a good deal when the club has a good reputation and CL football.

The optimum time would be if we can re-capture CL at the end of next season.

Personally, I'm in the minority that would rather have OUR name attached to it rather than some corporate ism. In fact I'd re-christen it as The White Hart Lane Stadium.

Sometimes heritage means more.

Another thing is that many players will have CL qualification bonus in there contracts. But it's guaranteed income you leverage against and it's also 4 extra nights with a full stadium and TV money

The money is never the main draw with CL unless you get into the finals. It's the draw it gets you with being able to sign players

The optimum time would be if we can re-capture CL at the end of next season.

Personally, I'm in the minority that would rather have OUR name attached to it rather than some corporate ism. In fact I'd re-christen it as The White Hart Lane Stadium.

Sometimes heritage means more.
Dont disagree on the name. In an ideal world it would be called WHL and that would be it. I'd be delighted with that. But if they were going down that route they'd have saidsomething by now and we did appoint someone a few months back specifically to get naming rights so its coming and imo might as well be now to help Conte.

Back
Top Bottom