The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, I left the forum because I got sick of the four or five sociopaths who ruin the place and are generally little more than an embarrassment to Spurs fans full stop. My health is a bit better so I'm more inclined put obnoxious little cunts like you and Spursdem in their place.
But why do you think I’m an obnoxious little cunt? I don’t engage with you, I don’t talk about you. In fact you are very low down, if not invisible on my list of priorities. This is totally bizarre. You’ve picked a fight with me because I said, imo, to another poster, that Skipp wasn’t ready for hard core Prem action and you’ve totally gone off on one. I think you have problems. And by the way, quoting your own posts and then claiming you randomly found them on the internet is not putting people in their place. You need to sort out your anger. I’d recommend seeing a mental health professional.

But why do you think I’m an obnoxious little cunt? I don’t engage with you, I don’t talk about you. In fact you are very low down, if not invisible on my list of priorities. This is totally bizarre. You’ve picked a fight with me because I said, imo, to another poster, that Skipp wasn’t ready for hard core Prem action and you’ve totally gone off on one. I think you have problems. And by the way, quoting your own posts and then claiming you randomly found them on the internet is not putting people in their place. You need to sort out your anger. I’d recommend seeing a mental health professional.

Look, sometimes I've found you OK on here and we've had decent discussions, about Brexit I remember recently, but you do seem prone to want to come on here and randomly call someone a cunt, start argument and just generally be abusive and I'm not interested in that. I think I had you on ignore for quite a while but you seemed to get less abusive so you came off. We'll just go back to ignoring, agreed? It's best way. Nobody wants to read shit like this. You gave an opinion about Skipp. I disagreed. Finished.

Do you guys watch football? Some of you just seem to think that throwing an untested youth player into the mix at the business end of the season will pay dividends. Because...There’s a reason that Poch is reluctant to do that - and, let’s face it, what the fuck does he know? If only he listened to the idiots on here we’d be cushty.

Try to learn about the game - seriously.
I just watched Skyscraper.

Oliver Skipp is The Rock.

I’ll let you guess who West Ham is.

Look, sometimes I've found you OK on here and we've had decent discussions, about Brexit I remember recently, but you do seem prone to want to come on here and randomly call someone a cunt, start argument and just generally be abusive and I'm not interested in that. I think I had you on ignore for quite a while but you seemed to get less abusive so you came off. We'll just go back to ignoring, agreed? It's best way. Nobody wants to read shit like this. You gave an opinion about Skipp. I disagreed. Finished.

But you did that to me tonight. I wasn’t even in a conversation with you, but you’ve called me a cunt and other names. I gave an opinion about Skipp, but it wasn’t directed at you. You didn’t just disagree, you called me a cunt.

I’ve never discussed Brexit with you btw. I suspect you might be confusing me with another poster.

But you did that to me tonight. I wasn’t even in a conversation with you, but you’ve called me a cunt and other names. I gave an opinion about Skipp, but it wasn’t directed at you. You didn’t just disagree, you called me a cunt.

I’ve never discussed Brexit with you btw. I suspect you might be confusing me with another poster.

You were probably drunk again. You won't remember this tomorrow either. Go and sleep it off.

Ha ha. Did you have that lined up? Yes, I admit, l honestly forgot about that wee exchange. However, I think it was less to do with my sobriety, than you boring the tits off me. Ha ha ha. Really funny. You still haven’t got over it. And this is all over Skipp? Mental.

I haven’t written him off. I said he’s young. And posting clips against Gillingham is really funny. He looks nervous as fuck playing in the Prem. You don’t seem to realise that Poch sees his players every day. I think your opinions on football are asinine btw. You have hates and faves and you can’t see past your own prejudices. The reason I don’t engage with you any longer is that you’re an idiot. Sorry, but you are really thick and incredibly boring. You make statements without knowledge, hoping that some of them will be borne out and when they’re not you are nowhere to be seen - or you leave the forum in embarrassment. I think your views are pointless. Now don’t quote me again. Thanks.

Get where you're coming from Joe but leaving him on the bench because of 'nerves' is probably the exact opposite of what he needs. You give a player confidence by showing trust in him, so why not play him?

If we agree that the CL is more important than the West Ham game then why not give the lad a chance to overcome those nerves? worst case West Ham win (and that won't be down to one player) and we need to win our last two, at least we will have given the 'walking wounded' as much rest as possible before Tuesday.

Not sure I'm advocating this but it's certainly an option ... if we want to learn whether Skipp has what it takes then just maybe home to West Ham is a good occasion to find that out ...

Get where you're coming from Joe but leaving him on the bench because of 'nerves' is probably the exact opposite of what he needs. You give a player confidence by showing trust in him, so why not play him?

If we agree that the CL is more important than the West Ham game then why not give the lad a chance to overcome those nerves? worst case West Ham win (and that won't be down to one player) and we need to win our last two, at least we will have given the 'walking wounded' as much rest as possible before Tuesday.

Not sure I'm advocating this but it's certainly an option ... if we want to learn whether Skipp has what it takes then just maybe home to West Ham is a good occasion to find that out ...

Fair enough, it was only my opinion, but there’s no need to rush him. Poch is far better placed to judge on his development. Having watched him in the games he’s featured in, he’s not ready - he looks so self-conscious. Again, only my opinion.

I think it's double bubble regarding Skipp possibly coming in on Saturday. Firstly as you said we see if he's got it and what he's made of in a proper Premier League game that will be crash, bang wallop & we utilise our squad for a game where we have no Winks, no Sissoko & two players in Dier & Wanyama that won't be able to last a full 90 minutes in a game we only have two full days rest before on Tuesday when Ajax would have had a solid 8 days.

For me it's not about personal preferences, it's about weighing up risk/ reward. Our four strongest CMs at present are either not fit or not fully match fit & for those reasons we need to be artful about or usage against a quick, vibrant Ajax midfield and team.

Skipp & Dier against West Ham for me, with my fingers crossed we are able to field Winks & Wanyama come Tuesday.

Last edited:
I think it's double bubble regarding Skipp possibly coming in on Saturday. Firstly a shame you said we see if he's got it and what he's made of in a proper Premier League game that will be crash, bang wallop & we utilise our squad for a game where we have no Winks, no Sissoko & two players in Dier & Wanyama that won't be able to last a full 90 minutes in a game we only have two full days rest before on Tuesday when Ajax would have had a solid 8 days.

For me it's not about personal preferences, it's about weighing up risk/ reward. Our four strongest CMs at present are either not fit or not fully match fit & for those reasons we need to be artful about or usage against a quick, vibrant Ajax midfield and team.

Skipp & Dier against West Ham for me, with my fingers crossed we are able to field Winks & Wanyama come Tuesday.

Winks and Skipp represent an evolution from Dier and Wanyama. Those type of footballers are becoming redundant at teams who aspire to an elite level. Even the best of the lot, Kante, is having to develop his game. The likes of Matic increasingly look like dinosaurs.

I absolutely hope he has a stinker on Tuesday but De Jong represents a more modern idea of a defensive midfielder. Mobile and the ability to start attacks with quick passing.

We lose a lot when Winks doesn't play and I'd have liked Skipp to get more game time to be a viable back up rather than a return to the Dier Wanyama style player. I don't think that would be the way to beat Barcelona if we played them in the final.

Winks and Skipp represent an evolution from Dier and Wanyama. Those type of footballers are becoming redundant at teams who aspire to an elite level. Even the best of the lot, Kante, is having to develop his game. The likes of Matic increasingly look like dinosaurs.

I absolutely hope he has a stinker on Tuesday but De Jong represents a more modern idea of a defensive midfielder. Mobile and the ability to start attacks with quick passing.

We lose a lot when Winks doesn't play and I'd have liked Skipp to get more game time to be a viable back up rather than a return to the Dier Wanyama style player. I don't think that would be the way to beat Barcelona if we played them in the final.

I favour a more mobile, sprightly and ball playing DM, always have so it's nice to see we have a couple of options in our ranks but the experience both Dier & Wanyama have against that Ajax team could really tip the scales in our favour.

That first leg is so delicately poised. With no Kane or Son I really am unsure what our setup and tactics will be. Could we even see Danny Rose play in the middle of the park that game with the lack of options we have? If so we could very well see Walker-Peters thrown into the West Ham game at left back & Foyth play right back like we saw him play against City. I'm not saying Pochettino should but we do have options albeit limited ones.

From fivethirtyeight:

nqscbb.jpg

This thread should be more about who else we want to finish in the top 4. Chelsea for me. The other two are becoming such badly run clubs that we could see a top 4 lockout for a few seasons that we were once on the wrong side of.

It crossed my mind the other day that we found ourselves mathematically incapable of finishing behind Liverpool... what... 3 or 4 matches ago?

A little bit depressing. Aside from the Rodgers and Suarez year, we've consistently been better.

Before this season, the last time they finished above us was when we had Sherwood in charge.

It crossed my mind the other day that we found ourselves mathematically incapable of finishing behind Liverpool... what... 3 or 4 matches ago?

A little bit depressing. Aside from the Rodgers and Suarez year, we've consistently been better.
That run of bad form around late February and March really hurt us. Injury ravaged, no transfers and all that. We'll be back with a fight next season.

That run of bad form around late February and March really hurt us. Injury ravaged, no transfers and all that. We'll be back with a fight next season.
To be honest, I'd attribute an even bigger contribution to Wembley. Everyone was just so done with that place, including the players (no matter what they might say publicly). The turnaround since arriving back at NWHL is genuinely better than I'd hoped - and I was pretty optimistic.

We only lost to Liverpool and City by one goal margins in each 'home' game - something that could have been very different at the new stadium. That wouldn't just have earned us more points, but also denied them points (and confidence) too.

If we play our cards right and sign, let's say, 2 or 3 top players (I'll include 'young but with top potential' in that) then next season is very very exciting indeed. I don't think pundits actually realise how much better we're going to be next season.

Back
Top Bottom