The Return of Fans to Stadiums

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you attend matches at 10-25% capacity

• Yes - COYS!

Votes: 116 74.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • I'd rather go to another Take That reunion

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters
No chance I am paying £15 to watch games with no crowds.

As I mentioned in another thread I can go to a non-league game, have a couple of pints and a pie for £15 with no travel costs. Then watch the Spurs highlights when I get home. Thus supporting the lower echelons of the football pyramid and still getting a live football fix.

No brainer.

LOTS of people online fuming that a large amount of vloggers, influencers etc have gotten tickets. While I agree it isn't fair, I do believe the club are very smart doing so.

Having people attend that will publish a very positive C-19 matchday experience to thousands of followers will do the club more good in a push to get more in.

R-12657649-1539477273-5134.jpeg.jpg

Tbh I doubt that the entire audience at the Palladium would celebrate a last minute Bale winner on Sunday in the same manner as us.

As much as I’d love to get back I don’t think that football crowds can be relied on to behave in the same way as concert goers or theatre audiences and just sit quietly in their socially distanced seats whilst clapping politely at the appropriate moments.

Speak for yourself.. last time I was at an event of similar calibre ( Proms Albert hall) me and my mate jumped up in excitement in the final stages of the overture! Absolute scenes.. he split his Veuve Clicquot all over the bloke in front of us who in turn gave him a right nasty left hook.

Just applied for my daughter and I.
First game back, an NLD and a 10 minute walk away.....how could I say no??
Would also make a cracking late birthday present for her. (she's 30 today)

Watching football in a stadium with social distancing at whatever % of capacity just sounds fucking horrendous. Not to mention completely impractical for so many reasons.

I'm out until we're all back. (Season ticket holder)

The view of The Trust.

The Premier League's pay per view offer
10/9/2020

Nothing is ever simple in football. After weeks of campaigning to ensure fans could watch their teams while access to stadiums is denied, we should have been celebrating the announcement that they can, and with it a great victory for fan power. But, once again, the Premier League, Clubs and Broadcasters have managed to turn what could have been a positive into a negative. Because, once again, they didn’t have a proper conversation with the fans.

The announcement that games broadcast on TV outside the existing contract will be priced at £14.95 per view has prompted a huge backlash. We believe a better deal was not only desirable, but possible and we’re backing the Football Supporters’ Association’s call for a rethink.

As some of our Board members have been working with the detail of broadcast deals for some time, we thought it was worth breaking things down and explaining the issues.

It’s a positive thing that the clubs have finally recognised that fans need to be able to see their teams while stadiums are closed. This has happened because of sustained pressure from fans. Broadcasting all games means that, on two fronts, the situation is better than normal.

First, ALL fans, not just season ticket holders or regular match-goers, are now able to watch their team legally when they play league games. Second, those fans who would normally pay for a ticket to attend the match in person are paying less than they would per game to watch their team.

Of course, watching on TV is an inferior experience for regular match-going fans. And there will be a variety of views on what price properly reflects that. But the statements above remain true.

However, the price of £14.95 per game is too high. And because it is too high, it could have damaging effects – not just on individual’s finances at a time when many are stretched. It will encourage use of illegal streams, therefore diverting money from the game. And it will encourage people to gather in households and pubs to watch games together.

The current plan also penalises fans of those clubs less likely to be selected on the regular broadcast schedule. They will have to pay more to watch their team than fans of the so-called glamour clubs.
A cheaper price point would not only have been fairer, it would have had more chance of expanding the audience and generating more income. And it would have shown that the Premier League is aware of the situation people outside its bubble are in.

The devil, as always, is in the detail. We need to know whether or not existing customers of the broadcasters involved will have to pay the same as new ones. We need to know if fans who have already paid up front for all or part of their season ticket will be able to offset that against the pay-per-view deal. The situation at each club will be different, but these details matter.

We also need to know where the money is going – to the clubs, or to the TV companies. We understand broadcasters incur costs by televising games. We also understand that, despite its regular boasting about its financial success, the Premier League is being hit financially by the current pandemic. Few businesses give their products away for free, and they are especially unlikely to do so when income has been severely affected.

But we want to know how the Premier League arrived at the price point of £14.95. We would have hoped that, through the dialogue between the Premier League and the Football Supporters’ Association, fan groups would have been canvassed on price sensitivity. Needless to say, this didn’t happen. It is an opportunity missed.

The accumulated cost of subscriptions to BT Sport, Sky Sports, Amazon Prime, Premier Sports… along with the streaming fees for EFL Cup games and potentially FA Cup games in challenging fiscal times places additional stress on fans’ finances and that’s something the broadcasters, clubs and competition organisers must recognise. We understand that clubs did not want to link broadcast charges to season ticket packages because of the administrative burden. We don’t believe the answer is to pass the administrative and financial burden on to fans.

Despite the clubs reportedly voting unanimously for this, it didn’t take long for anonymous briefings to surface suggesting some clubs didn’t really agree with what they had voted for. That came in the face of almost universal condemnation of the decision. This suggests at least some clubs know they’ve got this badly wrong. So we’ll say this once again, simply, so it can’t be misunderstood.

Sit down with the fans. Agree a deal that works for everyone. And then we can all get back to enjoying football and dealing with the many pressing other problems in life.

THST Board
9 October 2020
That is a ridiculous price especially for ST holders.

They are totally out of touch with reality, where there are a shit load of illegal streams on the net.

A film on Youtube costs about 3 quid maybe 4. It’s priced in that range for a reason, it’s cheap enough for people to pay for it instead of looking for it illegally.

The PL should be priced in the same range, if it’s 4 quid they’d have a lot more people opting to pay for it.

Fans return to The Emirates tomorrow night, transforming the place from a sad, dull, dreary, lifeless, empty concrete husk, with no fans and no atmosphere,

...into a sad, dull, dreary, lifeless, empty concrete husk, with fans and no atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom