The Return of Fans to Stadiums

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you attend matches at 10-25% capacity

• Yes - COYS!

Votes: 116 74.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • I'd rather go to another Take That reunion

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters
It is impossible to predict what the situation will be like in a few months. The recent protests could lead to a massive increase in the virus or if not prove that perhaps it is safer than we think to be in crowds. A vaccine is a pipe dream for this year but treatments such as blood plasma from recovered patients could mean less are dying. The media and airlines are pushing for foreign travel to resume which is high risk. I cannot see sitting in a packed aircraft is less riskier than being in a crowd at Spurs. The economic situation will increasingly take precedence and football needs to put pressure on the Government by taking any available Government money. Personally I will make my own mind up if fans allowed. I went to the Norwich cup match in early March although did consider if it was safe. I would not go at present even if allowed but if the infection rate declines would reconsider later in the year. However as not a season ticket holder but only a member will not be able to if numbers are restricted. We will be able to see what is happening in Europe as other Countries are ahead of us and allowing fans in some. Younger fans will take a more riskier view as very few under 45 's are badly affected.

Being open-air the stadium is surely a much safer place than say a concert venue (of any size). The problem is getting there and back with 15% or whatever tube capacity.
So unless you are going to keep gig venues closed for years I would hope a normal-ish return wouldn't be too far away.
Would help if you could actually take a pint into the stands to avoid the nightmare that is getting around the concourses at times.
Or don't do food & drink, straight to the stands.

:levywtf:

Surely with technology they can create an app where you can order a drink or some food and have it delivered to your seat. The club just have to ensure they have enough staff to cope with demand but delivery to seat orders could work with a reduced capacity until things return back to normal

Watching football in a stadium with social distancing at whatever % of capacity just sounds fucking horrendous. Not to mention completely impractical for so many reasons.

I'm out until we're all back. (Season ticket holder)

Masks and Social Distancing can be only mid term measures at best. It's just not realistic to maintain that kind of thing in mass gatherings, and it's not realistic to expect mass gatherings to never exist again.

Look at things like theatres / gigs etc.

Don't get me wrong - will be asked to use masks for a while but I would guess (and it's only a guess) that by next summer, that won't be happening.

Who the fuck knows though

I had a couple of gigs I was due to go to. One at end of March, one at beginning of April. They obviously got postponed. Both got rearranged for Sept/Oct. One has just been re-postponed until April next year.

I've had medical appointments which were scheduled for March rearranged twice now too. One is now down for August (cancer treatment check up), the other has been indefinitely postponed.

I don't think any mass gatherings are on the cards in the near future myself. More's the pity.

Yep, got rearranged gigs right up to November 2021 now. When they first started rearranging to Aug/Sept 2020 and I got some for Spring 2021 that seemed nuts now they look over optimistic!
Hope all goes well for you in August :mourthumb:

Initial discussions at the PL and relayed to fans groups via video call on Tuesday have suggested starting at 10% and then gradually increasing if infection rates don't increase. So around 6K for us spread evenly around the stadium.

It sounds horrendous and won't be much better than playing in front of empty stadiums with no real singing (or moaning) if masks are compulsory as expected. I can't see F&B outlets opening either, otherwise masks would be off half the time. And would it even be financially viable opening the outlets or even the stadium at that level of attendance?

I'm constantly alternating between "no way would I bother" and "I hope it's on points so that I should get tickets for every match". I suspect that the latter voice in my head would win the argument...

Edit: Time for another poll!

Last edited:
Initial discussions at the PL and relayed to fans groups via video call on Tuesday have suggested starting at 10% and then gradually increasing if infection rates don't increase. So around 6K for us spread evenly around the stadium.

It sounds horrendous and won't be much better than playing in front of empty stadiums with no real singing (or moaning) if masks are compulsory as expected. I can't see F&B outlets opening either, otherwise masks would be off half the time. And would it even be financially viable opening the outlets or even the stadium at that level of attendance?

I'm constantly alternating between "no way would I bother" and "I hope it's on points so that I should get tickets for every match". I suspect that the latter voice in my head would win the argument...

Before standing abolished and when most paid at the gate, attendances varied according to opposition and how they were playing. Can remember going and I think the attendance was 19000 which was low when capacity was 50000. The atmosphere was crap and I expect it will be the same if only a small crowd. assume away fans will not be allowed.

Before standing abolished and when most paid at the gate, attendances varied according to opposition and how they were playing. Can remember going and I think the attendance was 19000 which was low when capacity was 50000. The atmosphere was crap and I expect it will be the same if only a small crowd. assume away fans will not be allowed.

Even worse with distancing, masks and (possibly) no booze. At least those 19,000 would have mostly been clustered around the Shelf and Park Lane. It will be horrible, but at least some of us will have a day out.

If it's 25%, some people are going to buy a season ticket and won't be allowed to go to the games.

I think the club could just offer to refund game to game if people are not allowed to go.

Or you can always just leave the money there for the following season.
(As it’s a system already in place)

If it's 25%, some people are going to buy a season ticket and won't be allowed to go to the games.

Yes that would be an issue for the vast majority if all ST holders were invited to renew and then had to wait for refunds on a match-by-match basis, but I'm sure (well fairly sure) that the club could come up with a system whereby a limited number of ST holders were asked if they want to attend matches at the reduced capacity and then issued with a new (temporary) seat as close as possible to their present one.

It is also getting there that is a problem for me. At the moment public transport just to go to a football match isn't that appealing.

While reading this I was convinced I had been part of much smaller crowds at WHL.Some research revealed that in 85/86 we played Birmingham City on a Wednesday evening in front of less than 10,000 and that a Saturday fixture v West Brom attracted a crowd of just over 10,000.For both these games I sat in Block P of the Paxton which, apart from me and a couple of mates, was virtually empty.The season average was only just over 21k.Different times indeed.We finished 10th that year I think.Fantastic times and if I had to choose between those days and now the eighties would win every time.
Bringing things back to the present day I must admit that if NWHL was open at whatever capacity for the Man U game and subsequent games I would definitely attend .Hopefully we can all get back before too very long.Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Yeah I wouldn't fancy that either. I always drive anyway so with a reduced capacity getting there it would probably be an improvement for me.

They need to speak to tfl and get a few hundred boris bike stations put outside the stadium. Surprised this hasn’t been done actually. It may of been I’ve just missed it.

I use the tube. No idea what I’d do differently. Not sure I fancy the 15 mile cycle in both directions!

I wonder if they'd do the ticket allocations the same way they did for members in the final year at WHL with a reduced capacity. Obviously season ticket holders only (and only those on the cup scheme for cup matches), but using points for the Cat A games and ballots for everything else

Surely with technology they can create an app where you can order a drink or some food and have it delivered to your seat. The club just have to ensure they have enough staff to cope with demand but delivery to seat orders could work with a reduced capacity until things return back to normal
They used this very system at the Women's World Cup final & semi finals last year at Groupama Stadium and it worked well.

Pull up the event website, input section and seat number, then ordered & paid from phone. Within about 10 min it arrived. Stadium was at or damn close to capacity.

Back
Top Bottom