The return of 'The hooligan'?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

SpiderSpurs

Supporter
🪃🦘 Bonza!! 🦘🪃
Not good or over reaction?

Football arrests 'highest in years' & disorder on the rise - police​

By Mantej Mann
BBC Sport
Last updated 7 hours ago

Arrests at football matches across the top five English leagues are at their highest levels in years, with fan disorder "getting worse", according to the UK's football policing lead.

The latest data covers the first half of this season - which has seen the return of fans to capacity stadiums after a year of lockdowns and restrictions.

There have been more than 800 football-related arrests in the first six months of the season, alongside more than 750 reported incidents of disorder.

It follows Baroness Casey's recent report into the Euro 2020 final violence, which found "ticketless, drunken and drugged-up thugs" could have caused death as they stormed Wembley.

Chief constable Mark Roberts, the head of the UK's Football Policing Unit, said cases of anti-social behaviour among younger fans is a particular area of concern.

Roberts has previously voiced his concern on newly-introduced safe standing 'rail seats' as well as a pilot scheme to allow fans to drink within sight of the pitch.

He said increased levels of disorder is expected after a major tournament - but the current level of activity is "concerning".

More trouble, more arrests, fewer games - the key stats

• Data collected from 1 July to 31 December 2021 from English domestic competitions only and compared to same six-month period for season 2019-20 - the last one without restrictions pre-pandemic
  • 802 football related arrests so far this season - an increase in 47% from 547 arrests in 2019-20 - the highest number of arrests since UKFPU started collating in season 2015-16
  • Incidents of disorder reported at almost half (48%) of all games across Premier League, EFL and National League - compared to 34% in season 19-20
  • There were 759 reported incidents including flares, missiles and hate crime - up 36% from 560 in 19-20
  • 210 incidents were involving young supporters under the age of 25, up from 154 in 19-20. The five year average of incidents involving under 25 was 168
  • That's despite fewer games this season (1,581) due to postponements, than in 19-20 (1,670)
  • The biggest increase in reported incidents of disorder is in the Championship and National league. Up 58% in Championship and 56% in national league from 2019-20
  • Police presence at 66% of football matches across top 5 English divisions, compared to 46% of games in 19-20.

Last edited:
Arrests at football are clearly up but I don’t think it’s purely down to hooliganism. Homophobic and racist comments account for large number of arrests.
Back in the 80’s and 90’s if chanting or comments made was an arrestable offence, every ground would have been half empty. I watch in disbelief when I see people giving the nazi salute or doing monkey impressions, you might as well put yourself in hand cuffs as there is no way you are getting out of the ground without being arrested, locked up, heavily fined and posted all over the press and lose your job. It just beggars belief how moronic some people are.
You don’t often see fighting around grounds as much these days, (West Ham in Carabou cup aside) most of it is pre arranged away from the ground.
CCTV cameras, mobile phones, drones and other high tech security are absolutely everywhere.
You’d have to be absolutely stupid to try anything within 500m of any ground.
You can’t point now without some do-gooder getting his phone out and posting it all over social media.

I actually believe football grounds are reasonably safe and you can take kids without having to worry too much, which is something you just couldn’t do back in the day.
Some of the connecting train stations can be a bit lively still, but most of them are heavily policed.
Walking to away grounds from train stations used to be an eye opener, you could get ambushed at anytime from absolutely anywhere.

Most people I know from other clubs say that the most unsafe place to visit today is White Hart. lane, the walk up the high road from Seven Sisters always has been an ‘experience’ for certain away fans.
I’ve been told that the security in our new stadium is so advanced they can see what you’re looking at on your phone.

Today’s football experience is totally different to what it used to be.

Meh, whereas in the 80's an arrest would be for stabbing someone, now an arrest is more likely to be for calling someone a hurtful name. Incomparible stats

Football is incredibly safe, especially at WHL. We’re living in a surveillance state now with a culture of extreme wokeism that means much harmless banter is now considered both offensive and an offence. No wonder police don’t have enough time and resource to focus more on real harmful crime.

As someone much cleverer and erudite than me once said 'there are lies, dammed lies and statistics'.

As already mentioned, in the old days you would only get arrested in extreme circumstances, you know, like for actual crimes.

Now you get arrested for wearing a loud shirt in a built up area.

Arrests at football are clearly up but I don’t think it’s purely down to hooliganism. Homophobic and racist comments account for large number of arrests.
Back in the 80’s and 90’s if chanting or comments made was an arrestable offence, every ground would have been half empty. I watch in disbelief when I see people giving the nazi salute or doing monkey impressions, you might as well put yourself in hand cuffs as there is no way you are getting out of the ground without being arrested, locked up, heavily fined and posted all over the press and lose your job. It just beggars belief how moronic some people are.
You don’t often see fighting around grounds as much these days, (West Ham in Carabou cup aside) most of it is pre arranged away from the ground.
CCTV cameras, mobile phones, drones and other high tech security are absolutely everywhere.
You’d have to be absolutely stupid to try anything within 500m of any ground.
You can’t point now without some do-gooder getting his phone out and posting it all over social media.

I actually believe football grounds are reasonably safe and you can take kids without having to worry too much, which is something you just couldn’t do back in the day.
Some of the connecting train stations can be a bit lively still, but most of them are heavily policed.
Walking to away grounds from train stations used to be an eye opener, you could get ambushed at anytime from absolutely anywhere.

Most people I know from other clubs say that the most unsafe place to visit today is White Hart. lane, the walk up the high road from Seven Sisters always has been an ‘experience’ for certain away fans.
I’ve been told that the security in our new stadium is so advanced they can see what you’re looking at on your phone.

Today’s football experience is totally different to what it used to be.
It came out in the Rudiger business that they can lip read what every individual in the crowd is saying.

As someone much cleverer and erudite than me once said 'there are lies, dammed lies and statistics'.

As already mentioned, in the old days you would only get arrested in extreme circumstances, you know, like for actual crimes.

Now you get arrested for wearing a loud shirt in a built up area.

For some of the shirts that I used to wear in the 70s I would have deserved it

Hooliganism is on the rise. The Police should tackle it head on. I suggest they find out who the ringleaders are, then wait for a few weeks before sending them an email questionnaire, which will, of course, be a legally binding document.

That'll sort the buggers out.

I blame Danny Dyer. The whole thing was dying a death until he comes along with his laughable film and comical documentaries about football violence.

You had an entirely new generation learning about the ICF and the rest of them and all of a sudden they grow up and think it's something to aspire to.

Football factories indeed.

Hooliganism is on the rise. The Police should tackle it head on. I suggest they find out who the ringleaders are, then wait for a few weeks before sending them an email questionnaire, which will, of course, be a legally binding document.

That'll sort the buggers out.
If not a stiff letter to the Times will resolve matters!

Yours disgusted
StEvenage

I blame Danny Dyer. The whole thing was dying a death until he comes along with his laughable film and comical documentaries about football violence.

You had an entirely new generation learning about the ICF and the rest of them and all of a sudden they grow up and think it's something to aspire to.

Football factories indeed.
Nothing makes me want to fight more than Danny Dyer in an Aquascutum jacket.

Nawty

Back
Top Bottom