The Sack Race

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Three out of the last four Premier League managers to be sacked have been given the boot after losing to Norwich.

Basically if you're a manager under pressure and you have the Canaries coming up then you're fucked!

Read a great comment about Sean dyches achievements: let Pep go to Burnley for 8 years see if he can get two promotions and into Europa league. Oh and a net spend of 25 million!

Read a great comment about Sean dyches achievements: let Pep go to Burnley for 8 years see if he can get two promotions and into Europa league. Oh and a net spend of 25 million!

"Give Bielsa my Barcelona and see how much [more] he wins. Give me his Leeds side, and we would be in the Championship."

Although talking about his mate and Leeds, I think even he realises this.
It's a different kind of management required at the other end of the table. Probably why we rarely see successful dog fighters ever given big jobs.

Some people call Pep a fraud or whatever - citing his lack of Champions League titles at City, but honestly I think as a person he inspires people. He has charisma and when he speaks I believe his players listen and are motivated.
Combined with arguably the best squad in world football it's a recipe for success - but cup games are a different animal. Chelsea had no right on paper to win a couple of Champions Leagues in terms of squad and manager comparisons (Di Matteo clearly isn't a world class manager) but there's more to it than that.
Luck can play a big part. As can referees (arguably influenced) and simply how players do or don't turn up on the day.

I like Dyche. If I were a player he is a manager I would give everything for - more than some of the fancy top names for sure.
But put him in charge of City and I don't think he would have achieved anywhere near as much as Guardiola.

"Give Bielsa my Barcelona and see how much [more] he wins. Give me his Leeds side, and we would be in the Championship."

Although talking about his mate and Leeds, I think even he realises this.
It's a different kind of management required at the other end of the table. Probably why we rarely see successful dog fighters ever given big jobs.

Some people call Pep a fraud or whatever - citing his lack of Champions League titles at City, but honestly I think as a person he inspires people. He has charisma and when he speaks I believe his players listen and are motivated.
Combined with arguably the best squad in world football it's a recipe for success - but cup games are a different animal. Chelsea had no right on paper to win a couple of Champions Leagues in terms of squad and manager comparisons (Di Matteo clearly isn't a world class manager) but there's more to it than that.
Luck can play a big part. As can referees (arguably influenced) and simply how players do or don't turn up on the day.

I like Dyche. If I were a player he is a manager I would give everything for - more than some of the fancy top names for sure.
But put him in charge of City and I don't think he would have achieved anywhere near as much as Guardiola.
Donald Trump has Charisma evil person charisma obvs and people listen to him. For what he has had and the sheer size of budget and superiority at Bayern he has hugely under performed. I'm sorry but winning the ECl with peak Messi was like fighting stone-age people with a Nuke. His reputation is inflated and Klopp is superior to him in absolutely every way. I think the man's a fraud. This bloke is no Brian Clough.

Different tools suit different jobs. Dyche's pretty basic methods work well with technically limited but physical players, there's no way his methods would translate to 95+ PL points every season with a Manchester City.

And equally yes, Pep with a bunch of big cloggers would be lost. He's perfect for a team with the budget to acquire lots of technically gifted players. City weren't as consistent pre Pep and won't be as consistent post Pep. He takes very gifted players and turns them in to a very well oiled machine.

I think Dani Alves saying Pep's coaching was 'better than sex' proves this !!

The issue here is I think people believe money & top players guarantees constant success. But City never had that before Pep. Yes they won trophies, but they were getting significantly lower points tallies and it was more sporadic. Old City teams would never have been mostly beating this Liverpool side to the title, and there were some decent managers in charge then.

He's made City much more consistent, the framework is all there with the players now. I actually think some of their previous teams had better individuals (Kompany, Aguero, Toure, Silva, Tevez etc) but they were never as well coached and lacked a clear identity. Pep's brought that to the club and they've become better for it.

Donald Trump has Charisma evil person charisma obvs and people listen to him. For what he has had and the sheer size of budget and superiority at Bayern he has hugely under performed. I'm sorry but winning the ECl with peak Messi was like fighting stone-age people with a Nuke. His reputation is inflated and Klopp is superior to him in absolutely every way. I think the man's a fraud. This bloke is no Brian Clough.

You think Dyche in charge of City would be able to surpass the achievements of Guardiola?

Or you think the barometer of success for Guardiola is purely judged by Champions League titles?

I'm not convinced Clough would get a tune out of modern day top players anyway. Different era, different type of players, different type of respect.

I think Dani Alves saying Pep's coaching was 'better than sex' proves this !!

The issue here is I think people believe money & top players guarantees constant success. But City never had that before Pep. Yes they won trophies, but they were getting significantly lower points tallies and it was more sporadic. Old City teams would never have been mostly beating this Liverpool side to the title, and there were some decent managers in charge then.

He's made City much more consistent, the framework is all there with the players now. I actually think some of their previous teams had better individuals (Kompany, Aguero, Toure, Silva, Tevez etc) but they were never as well coached and lacked a clear identity. Pep's brought that to the club and they've become better for it.

Pep arrived 16/17.
5 completed seasons, 3 league titles, 88.6 points per season average - which includes his first season with a mere 78 points.
91.25 pts per season if you exclude his first campaign. An average they could yet improve come the end of this season.

They are disgusting figures.

The 5 years prior to his arrival City averaged 79.6 pts.
The 5 years prior to that they averaged 57 pts, but of course have really only spent 10 years at the top, half of that time with Pep.

So maybe there's an argument they are improving like they did in the 5 years previous and this is a trajectory they could have followed with another manager.. but I don't think so.
8 domestic honours in their last 5 seasons. Double their return on the previous 5 years.

It's all hypothetical what another manager could have done with the same resources of course, but to say the above is fraudulent is factually incorrect. To say Klopp is superior in every way is a matter of opinion.

If Klopp wins the quadruple this season - as much as I can't stand the bloke or Liverpool, I would find it hard to argue against it being the greatest achievement of any football side I have witnessed in 32 years being a fan.
Even a treble with the European Cup would massively surpass the 99 United one. The Champions League is so much harder now, and winning the Premier League with just 79 points has not been done since 99.

Why does everyone forget what Forest did

Makes Leicester PL win look like small change
As I always say about Fraudiola, get back to me when you can win back to back European club championships with a backbone of John McGovern, Ian Bowyer and John O’Hare. Oh, and they retained the cup without the services of their best player.

Nothing — absolutely nothing — comes close to Clough’s achievements with Derby and Forest.

Greatest manager ever.

Korean Drama What GIF by The Swoon

So.... Who's winning this year's race in the EPL?

High profile punts:

Tuchel? ...Not happy. ....Lots of players want out.
Arteta? ...Personally think he's safe at least until the end of the season, but reportedly it's a crunch season for him.

At the other end of the table:

Marsh?
Lampard?
Silva? ...Fulham aren't shy of pulling the trigger....?
Scotty Parker's not been backed....?

Back
Top Bottom