The Scholes/Gerrard/Lampard debate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know it's been done to death over the years, perhaps on here before I signed up a few months back. But it's always interesting to me as it usually results in a lot of different answers. Being a former Chelsea player I shouldn't imagine Lampard will get a lot of votes, but try not to let any bias come into play. So, what was the better of the three in your opinion?

The way I've always given my take, I always thought that Gerrard was the best overall, certainly the most versatile in that he could play in 4 or 5 positions to a high level. But he could shoot, pass, head, tackle, run... If you're looking for a player that can dictate the tempo of a game in the same way a Pirlo, Xavi or an Alonso could, then you would always go with Scholes. The best praise you could give him really is that he wouldn't have looked out of place at all in the great Barcelona side under Guardiola. Lampard was perhaps a little less naturally gifted than the other two, but all said and done, he was the greatest goal-scoring midfielder of his generation. You can only somewhat admire really how much he worked on his game and progressed as a player over the years.

Sadly I don't think any of them really produced for England quite like they did for their clubs, at least consistently. Scholes was shunted out on the left for a while from what I remember before he retired from international duty.

I would say Gerrard. I imagine a lot of purists might argue Scholars, while people that superficially focus on goals would argue for Lampard.

Its Gerrard for me. Just always felt like the top player in whatever team he was in.

Fat Frank is a double cunt, coming from Spam to make his mark at Chelsea. When he ends up managing woolwich he'll polish off the trifecta.

Scholes bowing out of the national team makes it hard to choose him, honestly. Playing for those United teams makes you wonder how much credit goes to him personally as well.

They crap all over Winks and Sissoko that's for sure.

I would say Scholes personally because he could actually play both the controlling midfield role and when younger he also played as an attacking midfielder and scored plenty of goals. I always felt Lampard was less effective when he occasionally was played in a deeper role. Gerrard was probably the most naturally talented of the 3, not only a great footballer but at his best a physical beast as well.

Still a shame we never got them working together in the same England team that was wedded to a 442 which really didn't suit playing the 3 of them together.

Scholes for me, best English midfielder since gascoigne. The gormless swede played him on the left for England and we won fuck all. Gerrard was happy to duck out of tackles playing for England so he wouldn't be injured playing for his club side.

Gerrard was perhaps the best all rounder in terms of the ability to do any part of the game. He could play at Centre back and Striker and do it well, very hard to think of anyone else who could do that.

However in term of out and out football ability Scholes was a different level. Saw him on a number of occasions and for me still the most gifted player I have seen in the prem. I include the likes of Modric, Henry in that. He could control a game like Modric but score and create like De Bruyne. England played him on the left wing because our national managers are morons.

Should of maybe picked three spurs players. Might have got more interest.
but it’s scholes all day long.

I know it's been done to death over the years, perhaps on here before I signed up a few months back. But it's always interesting to me as it usually results in a lot of different answers. Being a former Chelsea player I shouldn't imagine Lampard will get a lot of votes, but try not to let any bias come into play. So, what was the better of the three in your opinion?

The way I've always given my take, I always thought that Gerrard was the best overall, certainly the most versatile in that he could play in 4 or 5 positions to a high level. But he could shoot, pass, head, tackle, run... If you're looking for a player that can dictate the tempo of a game in the same way a Pirlo, Xavi or an Alonso could, then you would always go with Scholes. The best praise you could give him really is that he wouldn't have looked out of place at all in the great Barcelona side under Guardiola. Lampard was perhaps a little less naturally gifted than the other two, but all said and done, he was the greatest goal-scoring midfielder of his generation. You can only somewhat admire really how much he worked on his game and progressed as a player over the years.

Sadly I don't think any of them really produced for England quite like they did for their clubs, at least consistently. Scholes was shunted out on the left for a while from what I remember before he retired from international duty.
You a gooner, son?

I would say Gerrard. I imagine a lot of purists might argue Scholars, while people that superficially focus on goals would argue for Lampard.

Difficult to make a case for Lampard against Gerrard and Scholes. Lampard was very effective around the box, a bit like a better version of Bruno Fernandes but he didn’t have Gerrard’s dynamism or Scholes outstanding ability.

Europa League Football GIF by UEFA

In a few years time this discussion will add another name to the mix

I think most people outside of deluded Chelsea fans can agree its either Scholes or Gerrard.

I bet even Mrs Lampard thinks its Scholes or Gerrard

Back
Top Bottom