The sliding doors of Pochettinos reign

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fantastic piece about our failures under this ownership and a tale of what could have been, it's a great read but one that leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth.

I think it offers a lot of perspective on what the real issue is at this club.

I have mentioned sliding doors before and I think we are the ultimate example. Imagine if AVB had got Moutinho and Hulk? We can see that NES can get a tune out of Moutinho now so imagine a much younger fitter Joao Moutinho.
For me the two real sliding doors though are a) Kyle Walker leaving, I like Kieran Trippier but he is a different player to Walker. In conjunction with Davies we lost a lot of pace down the flanks and opponents were not pressed or pinned back in the same way. We were not the same team and gradually as age has come upon our players we have lost the desire to close and press. Also we did send a signal that we are not really serious about competing with the real big boys. Really as long as we can sneak into the top 4 Levy will be happy.
b) the loss in the CL final. Imagine if we had got it. Now Poch has got them into the top table and players like Dele, Harry and Eriksen are looking around thinking we can compete, we deserve our place and would have leapt forward. The legs give more, the head stays up. The double whammy is to the hubcap lovers. Klopp has spent big, bet the farm and come up blank on both fronts. Players no longer want to run through walls for him. He has to raise his players and ultimately they won't have that faith that he can get them there.
But we are where we are and once again we are looking at a season of pain (at least).

Pretty much how I see our situation regarding Poch. There are some who question Poch’s signings but really, no manager in ENIC’s history had ever free reigns over signings. It was always Levy.

ENIC has done some good things for the club in that they made us much more stable financially. Now that they’ve built the new stadium, I do with they’d sell the team to someone with more ambition and fuck off.

They’ve pissed away some glorious opportunities.

If you cannot win a single trophy with a prime Kane, Eriksen, Dembele, Son, Vertonghen, Alderwield, Walker, Lloris and Ali then it doesnt matter who you bring in because it is simply not going to alter things.

When inferior United and Woolwich sides where able to win multiple trophies during that time then it tells you where the real issue was and it wasn’t with the board.

Liverpool have just won the CL and league in the space of 12 months. They have done that with the same model as ours, with a limited squad and haven’t spent large in 2 transfer windows. The difference is that they had Klopp and we had Pochettinho.

Does anyone really believe that had Klopp been in charge of us in 2016 that we would have ended up trophyless? The problem was always Poch

If you cannot win a single trophy with a prime Kane, Eriksen, Dembele, Son, Vertonghen, Alderwield, Walker, Lloris and Ali then it doesnt matter who you bring in because it is simply not going to alter things.

When inferior United and Woolwich sides where able to win multiple trophies during that time then it tells you where the real issue was and it wasn’t with the board.

Liverpool have just won the CL and league in the space of 12 months. They have done that with the same model as ours, with a limited squad and haven’t spent large in 2 transfer windows. The difference is that they had Klopp and we had Pochettinho.

Does anyone really believe that had Klopp been in charge of us in 2016 that we would have ended up trophyless? The problem was always Poch
What a load of absolute bollocks

:harrylol:

We just became the first team ever to fail to register a single shot on target against Bournmouth in their Premier League history.

With the same players Poch took to a Champions League final just 13 months ago!

Lets blame Poch for that, too.

Last edited:

Shut up you fucking prick.

Yes, because Klopp would not have got the extra players he needed to finish the job. The idea that Poch was the problem is mind blowing.

I have mentioned sliding doors before and I think we are the ultimate example. Imagine if AVB had got Moutinho and Hulk? We can see that NES can get a tune out of Moutinho now so imagine a much younger fitter Joao Moutinho.
For me the two real sliding doors though are a) Kyle Walker leaving, I like Kieran Trippier but he is a different player to Walker. In conjunction with Davies we lost a lot of pace down the flanks and opponents were not pressed or pinned back in the same way. We were not the same team and gradually as age has come upon our players we have lost the desire to close and press. Also we did send a signal that we are not really serious about competing with the real big boys. Really as long as we can sneak into the top 4 Levy will be happy.
b) the loss in the CL final. Imagine if we had got it. Now Poch has got them into the top table and players like Dele, Harry and Eriksen are looking around thinking we can compete, we deserve our place and would have leapt forward. The legs give more, the head stays up. The double whammy is to the hubcap lovers. Klopp has spent big, bet the farm and come up blank on both fronts. Players no longer want to run through walls for him. He has to raise his players and ultimately they won't have that faith that he can get them there.
But we are where we are and once again we are looking at a season of pain (at least).

Winning the final in Madrid could well have been a game changer. The Scousers were there for the taking and we completely fluffed our lines. Pochettino has to shoulder a fair bit of blame from his selection of a clearly crocked Harry to how flat we were that night.

Kyle Walker was the only player we really lost from that era. He was playing up though, not a lot you can do about that.

In real terms, we had one outlier of a season when we got 86 points in 2016/17. The season before was exciting as well because of the novelty that we were in a title race and we did okay some good stuff. We finished on an AVB, Harry Redknapp style total of 71 points.

The summer of transfer inactivity in 2018 understandably gets a lot of focus. What happened in summer of 2017 was nearly as bad. We were close to a title winning side after finishing on 86 points. We sell Walker and loss away the proceeds on Davinson Sanchez, Foyth and Aurier.

We just became the first team ever to fail to register a single shot on target against Bournmouth in their Premier League history.

Lets blame Poch for that, too.

What relevance has that to what came before?

This team was always going to come to end of its cycle - it’s why Pochettinho got quickly found when it did. I continually said since 2016 that this side wouldn’t last and that we need to tale advantage whilst the supporter base deluded themselves about the manager and this continued future glory.

Ossie Wembley right now

st,small,845x845-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom