The Style v Substance discussion

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is a good gauge of forum members and the differing age groups within lol

My first game I went to was Ardiles, Roberts, Hoddle, Perryman etc. My family supported the team we played but for me, it was the style of play that attracted me to Spurs, not following in my family's footsteps.

I remember a game verses le arse where their fans were singing 'boring boring Tottenham' when we were playing under Mr. Graham. He won a trophy.

Opposition fans are probably singing the same now and maybe our current manager will win a trophy too.

No issue with conservative tactics against bigger clubs, especially away from home. Mourinho got it spot on against Liverpool and but for wayward finishing we would have won the game. Many points have been lost over the years through naive approaches against teams that can hurt you - Mourinho is many things but one thing he isn't is tactically naive.

However as others have written it isn't an appropriate approach against the also rans. We should be looking to be more enterprising and play such teams on the front foot. I don't mind being set up on the counter but we should be looking to move the ball quicker. I thought our movement was very pedestrian at times against Leicester.

The other thing about Mourinho's approach is you won't get many shots off so you need really clinical forwards. Kane has had a quiet few games by his standards and that's had an effect.

The reality is that it's more difficult to be successful our way. Most successful teams have high levels of possession. Mourinho has shown in the past that it's possible to be successful his way, but the odds are against it.

People are talking as if dull = success and exciting = failure. I actually think it's more likely to be the opposite.

You need very good attacking players to make a counter approach successful- if you limit yourself to a few chances every game your finishing has to be a/ top quality and b/ from a number of players.

Set pieces become important too. Our direct free kicks are awful.

But our RW and attacking central midfielders have offered hardly any goal threat.

imagine Stevie B scores at Liverpool. Or tanguy finds the corner of the net at palace. Different scenario today.

Has Sissoko had a shot on target all season. 1/3 of the way in........

He was bought in to win trophies and if he does that then you cant argue with it. I'd rather we didn't sit back and defend 1-0 leads all the time though.

One thing that strikes me is we have absolutely ZERO goal threat from midfield, which could be the fact we play so much of the game in our own half..

I think we'd all prefer some style with our substance. Ultimately we want to be entertained.

Over let's say 5 games that result in 9 points,I'd much rather 3 good wins and 2 bad defeats playing attacking football than two safe wins and 3 ground out draws.

Back
Top Bottom