These players need selling

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Am I right or am I a coont

• Total voters
For 5 seasons now we have lost Kane at crucial parts of the season for a significant period. Clearly his ankles are shot and in my view it will not be long before another injury puts him into the Wayne Rooney category and we will see our golden egg poached. He never had pace, but if you also take away his ability to turn quickly and jump for the ball; you aren't left with much of a player. Compound this with his insistence of playing every game (fit or not) and we have a problem.

Selling Kane now is unfortunately the reality. We've had him in his prime and we won nothing - he wasn't good enough and went missing for 100 days per season. His unwillingness to rotate meant that we never were able to bring in a 2nd striker of any quality.

If we had a proper manager and/or DOF I would be willing to listen to these kinds of talks, Liverpool got away with it because they had proper football people in place with a good plan on how to move forward without the players and with the money,

The other problem/difference is that Coutinho and Suarez both had issues that neither Kane nor Son have so that made it much easier to sell them versus our duo.

But so long as Jose is here and it is him/Levy/Hitchens making the plans I have zero interest in moving Kane or Son and letting those 3 knuckleheads direct where the money should go.
I suppose if you don't trust those in place to spend the Kane/Son money, there's little reason to believe they can effectively spend what money we have to surround them with a better team either.

I agree we need to overhaul recruitment, no matter who the manager is. We were really good at buy low/sell high...but we've been really shit at the next level.

I suppose if you don't trust those in place to spend the Kane/Son money, there's little reason to believe they can effectively spend what money we have to surround them with a better team either.

I agree we need to overhaul recruitment, no matter who the manager is. We were really good at buy low/sell high...but we've been really shit at the next level.

Yes I would like to get in a new manager and potentially a new DOF as well depending on the manager we bring in overall, but especially if we are doing a major move like moving one of or both of Kane/Son.

Right now they are likely only going to do minimal damage that we can survive, selling Kane and Son and fucking that up could mean years without CL football.

Apart from Kane who has dragged us for years, Son, Ndombele who is techically gifted, Toby and a few others, this squad is bang average. There's so much deadwood at this club that are simply average and aren't good enough for a club trying to reach top 4 and beyond.

Lamela needs to go
Sissoko needs to go
Winks needs to go
Dier needs to go
Sanchez needs to go
Lo celso needs to go
Moura needs to go
Davies needs to go
Aurier needs to go
Lo Celso?

Unfortunately Ndombele probably needs to be on the list too. He has made it clear he doesn't want to be at the club and if it were not for Covid, I am sure we would have seen him ask to leave in the summer. By all accounts he and his family do not like life in the UK. We cannot enter a situation with sulking players; running down their contracts with the odd good performance (ala Pogba).

This year Lloris turns 35, Hart 33, Sissoko, Toby, Bale all turn 32..Gazza, Moura, Doherty, Lamela, Son, Aurier 29.

Half our squad is pushing 30 years old and clearly they do not have the legs or desire to play at this level.

Sissoko, Aurier, Davies, Doherty, Bergjwin, Winks, Lamela - These guys wouldn't make the Everton or Southampton team; what are they doing at a club that expects ECL and titles?

I’m getting mixed messages all the time, one week it’s tactics and the next it’s two thirds of the squad being rubbish that’s the problem.

Well, its both really. The squad are too old to keep the ball and make movements to dominate possession. So Jose instead has them give up the ball and stay in a disciplined defensive shape, hoping to capitalise on errors.

The same tactics that teams battling relegation often adopt.

Well, its both really. The squad are too old to keep the ball and make movements to dominate possession. So Jose instead has them give up the ball and stay in a disciplined defensive shape, hoping to capitalise on errors.

The same tactics that teams battling relegation often adopt.
Feel like the dregs from the last regime just can’t learn anything new and it’s affected the new signings

Honestly for me, you get in a new manager and then what happens after the bounce?
Same tripe

Let’s face facts here, what is Tuchel, Zidane, Bielsa or Ancelotti going to do to make Bergwijns shot actually be at the goal, or Bale give a shit, or Son stop trying to wriggle through four players at the corner flag

Feel like the dregs from the last regime just can’t learn anything new and it’s affected the new signings

Honestly for me, you get in a new manager and then what happens after the bounce?
Same tripe

Let’s face facts here, what is Tuchel, Zidane, Bielsa or Ancelotti going to do to make Bergwijns shot actually be at the goal, or Bale give a shit, or Son stop trying to wriggle through four players at the corner flag
For one, it would be nice if when our players look up to make a cross, there is more than just 1 player in the box.

Watching Leeds/Leicester/Liverpool yesterday; every time a player looked up to make a cross there were at least 3 team mates in the box.

Winks

Sissoko

Aurier

Docherty

Sanchez

Moura

Lamela

Are all on ASAP fuck them off list

Eveyone else bar Kane Son Hojberg Ndombele also isn't safe over the next two years.

Squad needs gutting simple as
You would struggle to raise 10m for that lot in the current climate.

Harry Kane will probably leave this summer, and after ten years at the club who here would blame him?

Hugo Lloris, as with Kane, has been here long enough and has entered his final season with Tottenham

Dele Alli will most likely be off this summer too, and who could blame him either?

Fucking hell then!

It's looking very likely that Vinícius won't stay on another season, neither will Bale, both for the massive financial investment required. Danny Rose, Paulo Gazzaniga, Joe fucking Hart

If those the OP listed all leave as well, we'll be in a fantastic position to really push on in 20/21

Shit I didn't even realise how old the spine of team is becoming. It really is remnants of pochs 2014-2018 era, shell of a team. I think the one thing Poch had an advantage was his huge focus on conditioning. Which probably helped average players look like better players than they were in pochs style of play. Now they are being asked to be more technical they are being exposed somewhat.

This is the result of years of lack of proper spending. The core players that have played week in week out for half a decade, some even longer, have aged, and the guys that have come in are merely fillers to some degree.

-We need one or two quality central creative midfielder
-We need a quality striker to compete with Kane, this has been our absolute downfall for years now. Every single top 4 team has ATLEAST 2 top quality strikers. To rotate, to play together. This seasonal injury to Kane and then playing with a makeshift attack every season has become a joke at this point.
-there needs to be a huge exodus of the deadwood that has been mentioned
-Bergwin and Lo celso to me have been hugely underwhelming. Lo celso has more quality though

I’d keep:

Hugo
Toby
Rodon
Reggie
PEH
Tanguy
Dele
Son
Kane

Maybe Doherty might come good. Maybe we keep Winks for HG issues. Maybe Sess or Clarke or Tang have the ability to improve massively in the coming years.

Everyone else, get tae fuck.

Apart from Kane who has dragged us for years, Son, Ndombele who is techically gifted, Toby and a few others, this squad is bang average. There's so much deadwood at this club that are simply average and aren't good enough for a club trying to reach top 4 and beyond.

Lamela needs to go
Sissoko needs to go
Winks needs to go
Dier needs to go
Sanchez needs to go
Lo celso needs to go
Moura needs to go
Davies needs to go
Aurier needs to go
Agree with all apart from Lo Celso, I want to see more of him before I make a decision.
If he continues to be Lamela part 2 on the injury front though then he will have to go for sure.

Lamela needs to go
Sissoko needs to go
Winks needs to go
Dier needs to go
Sanchez needs to go
Lo celso needs to go
Moura needs to go
Davies needs to go
Aurier needs to go

How many players do you think we can realistically shift over summer (and replace).

That’s almost half the first team squad!!

Lamela and Aurier next out of contract. 2022.
Sissoko 2023

The rest are all on contracts to 2024!!(lo Celso 2025)

The bigger worry is that even if we manage to shift most of this in the current climate what's the quality of the replacements going to be like?

I mean somebody at the club thought a 29 year old Doherty was a good idea.

He has no re-sale value and is at best mid table levels of ability.

Back
Top Bottom