Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As I said previously, by and large I agree with the sort of things he is saying - I just dont like that he is doing it in public.
Its usually the actions of a desperate manager about to lose his job, one who has no other ideas or solutions. These things should be kept out of the public realm, once you get a manager mouthing off like that 99% of the time it gets worse and not better.
And lets be frank, its cheaper and easier to change manager than actually let him clear people out he doesnt like and try to rebuild. I am certain if it comes to it Levy will have Sherwood clearing out his locker long before he lets him clear out the players.
And to be extra frank, Ive havent seen enough in Sherwoods on the field enterprise to trust him to rebuild the squad. There is no real shape, game plan or style, there is nothing to suggest he knows what he wants or needs, aside from a "character" to bollock team mates on his behalf

I mean what managers have "cut it" here in the last twenty years?

Depends on the scale. In the premier league era:

The 'trophy' scale is a wierd one - Ramos & Graham both won the League cup, Hoddle & Redknapp both lost in the final. Did Ramos & Graham do it for us overall... not really.

The 'league performance' scale is also strange.. AVB & Redknapp are in our top 6 managers of all time based on win %, but that's widely disputed too

The answer is, no one. That's why we don't have the same guy in now, I guess. Vacancy for success.

JDK

Supporter
Raw Ill give it to ya no trivia. Okay, some trivia

The 'trophy' scale is a wierd one - Ramos & Graham both won the League cup, Hoddle & Redknapp both lost in the final. Did Ramos & Graham do it for us overall... not really.

The 'league performance' scale is also strange.. AVB & Redknapp are in our top 6 managers of all time based on win %, but that's widely disputed too

The answer is, no one. That's why we don't have the same guy in now, I guess. Vacancy for success.

Exactly, so the bias against an English manager makes no more sense than bias against a Dutch, Swiss, Spanish, Portuguese, Argentinian, Scottish, or French manager.

Smoked Salmon

Finest human being of all time

I think for a team of our level, the league will always be the most important objective until we can firmly make that final step a bit further.

The win percentages don't mean a lot because back in the day managers had a lot more time. Bill Nicholson is well down the table, and that's because there were some pretty questionable periods over the years he was in charge, yet he is remembered for the double and therefore regarded as a successful club institution.

It just goes to short you how much the game has changed and how success is now very much desired instantly, both by clubs and fans.

Exactly, so the bias against an English manager makes no more sense than bias against a Dutch, Swiss, Spanish, Portuguese, Argentinian, Scottish, or French manager.

Of course, I didn't know there was one though (at least not from my POV).

As long as we don't get an ex gooner corrupt scottish bumchined twat as manager then I'm cool with it. And a league cup wouldn't change that for me :p

We're let disappointed and broken by a man with no career evidence of loyalty or success, evidently.

JDK

Supporter
Raw Ill give it to ya no trivia. Okay, some trivia
I just keep thinking how people would be reacting if it was AVB who was talking all this shit.

Most of us were very pleased when he said the fans needed to be better. Doubt the opinion would have been different regarding the players. Maybe cunts in the media like Neil Ashton would taken a different view.

The split is largely if you don't like Sherwood then you don't like these comments. If you didn't like AVB you didn't like his comments. Not too complicated. Personally, I loved what both had to say. We need a culture change from boardroom all the way to the fans. Sometimes you have to hurt a few feelings.

It just goes to short you how much the game has changed and how success is now very much desired instantly, both by clubs and fans.

I think it's about bang for buck, though.

I'd be more inclined to support and sing at every game for 5 seasons of peril if it didn't cost over £140 a game (travel, ticket etc.). If it were as it used to be, where it were a weekend working man's pleasure, then yes I'd enjoy it far more.

Modern football for you

Smoked Salmon

The split is largely if you don't like Sherwood then you don't like these comments. If you didn't like AVB you didn't like his comments. Not too complicated. Personally, I loved what both had to say. We need a culture change from boardroom all the way to the fans. Sometimes you have to hurt a few feelings.
On the contrary. I personally have no issue with Sherwood the man per se (even if he does sound like a used car salesman). Hell, I used to have a shirt with his name on the back when he played for us. My issue is with his inexperience, both in terms of his abilities to do the job and how the players will regard him in view of his lack of CV. I think the reason fandom is very split on this is not just because you have the usual pocket of haters, but you have a decent chunk of rational fans who have concerns as well, for precisely this reason. In my time supporting the club, since the Gerry Francis days, he's the only manager I have questioned from the outset and it all comes down to the experience issue.

Players aren't fans. You have to win them onside if you are going to keep your job as manager - especially if you've got no history to show for yourself. It's a task that is twice as hard without a CV of accomplishment to rely on. Sherwood's comments have the power to drive wedges and lose players - and they are those of a manager who is already struggling to get them on his side. I don't think you need to be a player to realise that. I think anyone who has ever had staff under them knows how important this is normally, let alone in football.

Last edited:
I think he's spot on to say all that in public....clearly there are some elements in the dressing room.

Some of the players are embarrassing the club in public, so they can be shamed in public too. Its not like he's naming people.

Smoked Salmon

I think he's spot on to say all that in public....clearly there are some elements in the dressing room.

Some of the players are embarrassing the club in public, so they can be shamed in public too. Its not like he's naming people.
Have you ever managed staff - particularly staff who have a decent chance of working for someone else?

Team Tanguy

Each Baz like = I give him a call <3
He's entitled to say that in public imo. It's not a knee-jerk reaction, been happening all season. Under AVB too, the players often just don't put in the work.

my only problem is that if he is pissing players off and making there minds up they want to go for them and levy has no intention of keeping him beyond the end of the season he could leave a wake of shite for someone else to clear up

I just keep thinking how people would be reacting if it was AVB who was talking all this shit.
It would've been something along the lines of
He has said the players should be ashamed of themselves.
Everyone one else is to blame (according to him) except for the one person who is really to blame and that's yourself.. Man up and admit it's your fault. Take a look at yourself before you blame the players.

Top Bottom