Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The split is largely if you don't like Sherwood then you don't like these comments. If you didn't like AVB you didn't like his comments. Not too complicated. Personally, I loved what both had to say. We need a culture change from boardroom all the way to the fans. Sometimes you have to hurt a few feelings.
On the contrary. I personally have no issue with Sherwood the man per se (even if he does sound like a used car salesman). Hell, I used to have a shirt with his name on the back when he played for us. My issue is with his inexperience, both in terms of his abilities to do the job and how the players will regard him in view of his lack of CV. I think the reason fandom is very split on this is not just because you have the usual pocket of haters, but you have a decent chunk of rational fans who have concerns as well, for precisely this reason. In my time supporting the club, since the Gerry Francis days, he's the only manager I have questioned from the outset and it all comes down to the experience issue.

Players aren't fans. You have to win them onside if you are going to keep your job as manager - especially if you've got no history to show for yourself. It's a task that is twice as hard without a CV of accomplishment to rely on. Sherwood's comments have the power to drive wedges and lose players - and they are those of a manager who is already struggling to get them on his side. I don't think you need to be a player to realise that. I think anyone who has ever had staff under them knows how important this is normally, let alone in football.

Last edited:
I think he's spot on to say all that in public....clearly there are some elements in the dressing room.

Some of the players are embarrassing the club in public, so they can be shamed in public too. Its not like he's naming people.

I think he's spot on to say all that in public....clearly there are some elements in the dressing room.

Some of the players are embarrassing the club in public, so they can be shamed in public too. Its not like he's naming people.
Have you ever managed staff - particularly staff who have a decent chance of working for someone else?

He's entitled to say that in public imo. It's not a knee-jerk reaction, been happening all season. Under AVB too, the players often just don't put in the work.

I agree with what he's saying to a certain extent. But like Lister Lister has been saying, it needs to be said in private. All he will succeed in doing is dividing the players, at best and at worst, himself, the players and the fans.

my only problem is that if he is pissing players off and making there minds up they want to go for them and levy has no intention of keeping him beyond the end of the season he could leave a wake of shite for someone else to clear up

I just keep thinking how people would be reacting if it was AVB who was talking all this shit.
It would've been something along the lines of
He has said the players should be ashamed of themselves.
Everyone one else is to blame (according to him) except for the one person who is really to blame and that's yourself.. Man up and admit it's your fault. Take a look at yourself before you blame the players.

My point is that if you were a short term boss with no experience and you said to your staff "I think half of you are untrustworthy" and went around broadcasting it in all the pubs and clubs, do you think those staff members would then come into work the following week wanting to do well for you?

I think if my staff were working in front of 36,000 people that idolised the company we worked for, and in the summer they wanted a promotion to a better job, then they would be cunts to perform like shit because their ego had been bruised.

If they didnt perform, I would replace them....like TS has said. Thats why I agree with him.

my only problem is that if he is pissing players off and making there minds up they want to go for them and levy has no intention of keeping him beyond the end of the season he could leave a wake of shite for someone else to clear up

But the indication is that Levy broke his "deafening silence" yesterday.....and then Sherwood says this the day after.

I think we should do the maths....maybe he's staying?

Either way, TS is right, and the elements in the dressing room need to buck up their ideas, not be pandered to, even more than they are.

It would've been something along the lines of
He has said the players should be ashamed of themselves.
Everyone one else is to blame (according to him) except for the one person who is really to blame and that's yourself.. Man up and admit it's your fault. Take a look at yourself before you blame the players.

AVB wouldnt blame the players or himself......the fans however...

On the contrary. I personally have no issue with Sherwood the man per se (even if he does sound like a used car salesman). Hell, I used to have a shirt with his name on the back when he played for us. My issue is with his inexperience, both in terms of his abilities to do the job and how the players will regard him in view of his lack of CV. I think the reason fandom is very split on this is not just because you have the usual pocket of haters, but you have a decent chunk of rational fans who have concerns as well, for precisely this reason. In my time supporting the club, since the Gerry Francis days, he's the only manager I have questioned from the outset and it all comes down to the experience issue.

Players aren't fans. You have to win them onside if you are going to keep your job as manager - especially if you've got no history to show for yourself. It's a task that is twice as hard without a CV of accomplishment to rely on. Sherwood's comments have the power to drive wedges and lose players - and they are those of a manager who is already struggling to get them on his side. I don't think you need to be a player to realise that. I think anyone who has ever had staff under them knows how important this is normally, let alone in football.

Realistically I know that the players probably won't follow Sherwood, but that doesn't mean he should try to be their mate to get them on his side. He should do what he thinks his right even if it means he loses his job. We need toughness not an enabler for the players.

My opinion on Sherwood is that I think his vision is bang on. He wants to instill toughness, pride, and accountability into the squad and has reintroduced more attacking football. I love that he is encouraging the squad to be accountable to each other and trying to draw out leadership.

Ultimately, I don't think he has the experience and nous to implement a vision like this yet. However, a man who is going to want to do the exact same in LVG is hopefully going to be our manager. Still, I respect Sherwood for what he is trying to get done and I think he has the temperament and ability to be a successful manager in the near future. I hope he sticks around and observes LVG if that's what's going to happen.

Until then, I hope he keeps trying to instill some bottle and pride into our players. We desperately need it.

I think if my staff were working in front of 36,000 people that idolised the company we worked for, and in the summer they wanted a promotion to a better job, then they would be cunts to perform like shit because their ego had been bruised.

If they didnt perform, I would replace them....like TS has said. Thats why I agree with him.
All business have customers to be concerned about, but what if the employee can just walk away from the problem in just a few weeks. Would they have the drive and ambition to react to someone who's basically calling them a cunt?

But the indication is that Levy broke his "deafening silence" yesterday.....and then Sherwood says this the day after.

I think we should do the maths....maybe he's staying?

Either way, TS is right, and the elements in the dressing room need to buck up their ideas, not be pandered to, even more than they are.
i agree there are players out there that do need to buck up there ideas and start playing but as much as levy might have told him he might be staying he is known to change his mind

i agree there are players out there that do need to buck up there ideas and start playing but as much as levy might have told him he might be staying he is known to change his mind
Levy has no choice. What's the alternative, tell Sherwood now, while we're still competing, that he's gonna get the sack? He has to be seen to be supporting Sherwood until he drops the axe.

Back
Top Bottom