Timothy Eyoma

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Couldn't find a thread for him so here goes.

Known as ‘TJ’, defender Timothy Eyoma can play at either centre-half or right-back.

He enjoyed plenty of experience at different levels in 2018/19. He made his senior debut on our 2018 pre-season tour of the United States and after appearing as an unused substitute at West Ham in the Carabao Cup in October, 2018, and at home to Burnley in the Premier League two months later, he made his competitive first team debut off the bench in our 7-0 victory at Tranmere Rovers in the FA Cup in January, 2019.

In addition, he made 14 Premier League 2 starts for our Under-23s, plus another four in the Premier League International Cup, and was ever-present in our run to the last 16 of the UEFA Youth League.

In January, 2020, he headed out on loan to join Lincoln City for the remainder of the 2019/20 season, before returning to the LNER Stadium on loan for the 2020/21 campaign in August, 2020.

TJ was born and raised in Hackney and attended Highbury Grove School. He played for his school and district sides and, in 2015/16, played twice for our Under-18s where, in his second appearance, against Woolwich, he came up against sibling AJ for the first time.

Regan Poole is on standby to make his first Lincoln City start in tonight’s top-of-the-table clash at Hull City.

The Imps are monitoring the fitness of regular right-back TJ Eyoma, who felt ill ahead of Friday’s 3-0 victory at Gillingham.

A Covid test came back negative and Eyoma declared himself fit to play.

But the on-loan Tottenham defender was not his usual self against the Gills and was replaced by January signing Poole in the closing stages.

“He’s going to be 50/50. He’s still not had a massively substantial meal. He’s eaten bits,” said Imps boss Michael Appleton in this morning pre-match press conference.

“I spoke to Mike [Hine, the club’s head of sports science and medical] over the weekend. He’s been in constant touch with him.

“It must have been something he’s eaten because we’ve had no issues with any other players.

“His stats [against Gillingham] were way down on what you’d expect in terms of high-speed running and intensity.

“For him to get through the amount of minutes he did was a credit to him, especially in that type of game.

“But that’s why we brought Regan. He’s someone who is itching to get going. If TJ doesn’t quite make it, Regan will step in.”

“He’s going to be 50/50. He’s still not had a massively substantial meal. He’s eaten bits,” said Imps boss Michael Appleton in this morning pre-match press conference.

“I spoke to Mike [Hine, the club’s head of sports science and medical] over the weekend. He’s been in constant touch with him.

“It must have been something he’s eaten because we’ve had no issues with any other players.

“His stats [against Gillingham] were way down on what you’d expect in terms of high-speed running and intensity.

“For him to get through the amount of minutes he did was a credit to him, especially in that type of game.
Sounds like the club love him too

Nice Championship loan next season would be valuable for him.

Personally, I always thought Eyoma was better than Tanganga - it's just a shame Tanganga has never been out loan to play competitve mens football from a young age onwards and Eyoma only got his first loan at the age of 20.

His playing statistics at Lincoln City this season are impressive so far :

League 1 - 23 starts and one off bench, 1949 minutes played (equivalent to 21.7 matches)
EFL Trophy - 6 starts, 533 minutes played
EFL Cup - 3 starts (including one v Liverpool) , 270 minutes played
FA Cup - 1 start, 90 minutes played

Total so far - 2842 minutes played (= 31.6 matches equivalent) and note he usually plays a full 90 minutes, only subbed a few times. And has played in vast majority of Lincoln's games this season

Lincoln City have been one of the top League 1 sides all season (currently top of the division) and likely to get into Championship, so its been a very decent loan for him.

21 a few days ago and a regular in the E u17 side who won their age group World Cup, and were runners up in age group Euros, playing alongside the likes of Jadon Sancho. Got screwed up after doing well on preseason 2018 and getting into Poch 'train with first team but don't play' for a season followed by half a season out injured, so this is his first real season of playing football for 2 seasons. Good to see him making a successful of it, mainly playing at RB with a couple as CB.

His playing statistics at Lincoln City this season are impressive so far :

League 1 - 23 starts and one off bench, 1949 minutes played (equivalent to 21.7 matches)
EFL Trophy - 6 starts, 533 minutes played
EFL Cup - 3 starts (including one v Liverpool) , 270 minutes played
FA Cup - 1 start, 90 minutes played

Total so far - 2842 minutes played (= 31.6 matches equivalent)

Lincoln City have been one of the top League 1 sides all season (currently top of the division) and likely to get into Championship, so its been a very decent loan for him.

21 a few days ago and a regular in the E u17 side who won their age group World Cup, and were runners up in age group Euros, playing alongside the likes of Jadon Sancho. Got screwed up after doing well on preseason 2018 and getting into Poch 'train with first team but don't play' for a season followed by half a season out injured, so this is his first real season of playing football for 2 seasons. Good to see him making a successful of it, mainly playing at RB with a couple as CB.

Which is nearly double the amount of minutes Tanganga has got in the last 2 seasons.

I said the about Skipps minutes in half a season to Winks total minutes from 18 years old to 23 years old.

These youngsters need minutes. It's important for their development. Alot more important than training with the first team.

Which is nearly double the amount of minutes Tanganga has got in the last 2 seasons.

I said the about Skipps minutes in half a season to Winks total minutes from 18 years old to 23 years old.

These youngsters need minutes. It's important for their development. Alot more important than training with the first team.

In some respects I think Tanganga has been unlucky - we were short of defensive cover so Mourhino picked the most experienced on form u23 player and Tanganga did well. But he's been unlucky since with injuries at end of last season and start of this, whilst Mourhino has been reluctant to play him when fit.

I hope Mourhino plays him - for example EL game coming up - in the 2nd half of season, otherwise it would probably have been better to send him out on loan (although with Rodon not being in EL squad that would have left is with only 3 CB's....)

In some respects I think Tanganga has been unlucky - we were short of defensive cover so Mourhino picked the most experienced on form u23 player and Tanganga did well. But he's been unlucky since with injuries at end of last season and start of this, whilst Mourhino has been reluctant to play him when fit.

I hope Mourhino plays him - for example EL game coming up - in the 2nd half of season, otherwise it would probably have been better to send him out on loan (although with Rodon not being in EL squad that would have left is with only 3 CB's....)

I think it seems pointless to have kept Tanganga in January and not send him out on loan if he WASN'T going to play some kind of part in our games this season - so I'd expect him to be in the team for Wolfsberger.

Nice Championship loan next season would be valuable for him.

Personally, I always thought Eyoma was better than Tanganga - it's just a shame Tanganga has never been out loan to play competitve mens football from a young age onwards and Eyoma only got his first loan at the age of 20.
Gotta disagree with you there, Tanganga was always the better performer.

Gotta disagree with you there, Tanganga was always the better performer.

Just based on what I saw for the youth.

Though I always thought the general consensus amongst regular youth watchers was that Eyoma was the better of the two and that Tangangas performance beyond the U18s were pretty lacklustre. (Probably due to U23 football in general being a shitshow and Pochs lack of loans) and the only reason Tanganga got chances in the first team (Pre-season etc) was because Eyoma was injured.

I mean fair play to him, he definitely took his opportunity in the pre-season friendly against Juventus and then came in and done relatively well for an inexperienced defender last season.

With Tanganga giving probably the best display of any Spurs player today, and Eyoma seeming to be over his last 2 seasons of non playing under Poch and injury, to judge by his consistently good performances for LIncoln at top of League 1, I'm wondering whether instead of assuming he should get a Championship loan next season, whether the better idea is to play Eyoma as RB in next pre-season and Tanganga as CB (not sure we can have 2 inexperienced CB's plus Rodon as CB's). And make a judgement on Eyoma's readiness to step up to Spurs squad/

After all Tanganga has leapt from u23 to Spurs first team without a loan, so we could view the League 1 loan Eyoma has as mainly a test of his fitness and getting back to form - in which he seems to have done very well.

Sure I'd prefer experienced players coming in but seeing Tanganga (and several at Chelsea coming though to first team under Lampard without loans, James Justin leaping from Luton to Leicester aged 20/21 when he became a Leicester regular) I wonder whether Eyoma now just 21 is possibly ready enough to take at least the 2nd RB role.

Thoughts ?

Eyoma on the bench today but he came on 72 when Lincoln were 2-0 down and he almost singlehandedly masterminded the comeback for a 2-2 draw. :rolleyes:

Astonishing change in fortune for Lincoln City since the end of January transfer window when they brought in a permanant signing at RB, relegating ever present Eyoma to being a bench option.

Lincoln City was top of the division at end of January transfer window but fallimg to today's position of 6th and on brink of falling out of play off places, with Eyoma ceasing to be a first team, regular being one of the few changes in the team.

Eyoma seems to have been a more crucial player for Lincoln for the first half of the season

Player ratings from a match (late January) just before Lincoln signed a permanant RB, consistently marked as best or 2nd best in the team

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom